What's new

Church Attire for Sunday Morning Service.

What is your most common dress attire for Sunday Morning Church Service?

• Suit and Tie

• Dress Shirt, Tie, Dress Pants

• Dress Shirt, Dress Pants

• Dress Shirt, Khakis

• Knit Shirt, Khakis

• Knit Shirt, Blue Jeans

• T-shirt, Blue Jeans

Results are only viewable after voting.
I try to dress nicely but that's not nearly as formal as it used to be. Part of that is I don't own the same clothes that I used to. When I started in a sales job twenty years ago I was expected to be in a suit every day. By the mid 90's (i was in high tech) most folks were in khakis and sports shirts at work. If I was in a suit there was too much of a discrepancy so I relaxed what I wore. In my current job the only day I've worn a suit was on my job interview. So I don't have a closet full of suits anymore. I wear to church what I'd wear to work to a "big" meeting. In the winter that usually means nice slacks, a starched shirt, tie and a sport coat. As the weather gets warmer that might relax down to khakis, a sport shirt and a sport coat or khakis and a starched white shirt sans tie. Never understood the rational for wool suits when it's 90 degrees/90 % humidity. I suppose if you're "refined" you still look crisp and cool - I on the other hand sweat like a pig and look ridiculous wearing a suit in the summertime here.

I still wear a suit and tie to church every week. It just doesn't feel right not to. Only a few other men in my parish do so and they are all my age (53) or older. My youngest son usually wears a tie. When my older boys come to visit they wear a jacket or suit and tie. But one only goes to church when he visits us and the other is more casual at his own church.

Not to go too far down memory lane here but I remember all the men used to wear suits. Or at least a blazer or sportcoat. And most everyone wore hats. Of course the men took theirs off when they arrived but the women almost all had hats in church.

Depends,

The Pharisees wore elaborate clothing to honor themselves. Christ compared them to white-washed tombs because they were attractive on the outside, but unclean on the inside.

Some other people wear nice clothing out of respect and awe to God. Rather than trying to appear as white-washed tombs, they realize that Christ is their righteousness, not their works or their clothes. However, out of adoration and awe, they dress well, not to be saved, but because they already have been.

You would dress yourself finely in the presence of an earthly king, yet so often people dress so utterly irreverently when worshiping before the King of creation. I personally think it dangerous to imagine the God who struck a man dead for reaching out to steady His footstool (the Ark) and struck His high priest's sons dead for offering profane fire, as a dottering, grandfatherly figure who will excuse me because He is kind and nice. In no wise will He excuse me, nor has He. He wrought my punishment on His Son and because of His Son I am acceptable, but nonetheless accountable for how I conduct myself, most especially before Him.

Yet I very seriously doubt Christ cared. He, in my opinion, would be more comfortable with the poor workers who may not have any fine Sunday clothes then he would be the middle class and rich.

For most, church is social and you only dress "well" to fit and outdo your neighbors.

A nice button shirt and slacks for when I go to prayer meeting(if I manage to get out to it) it's more informal not really church (I'm Buddhist)

For most, church is social and you only dress "well" to fit and outdo your neighbors.

Respectfully disagree. People who work at home full time like me know the value of getting dressed in the morning rather than working in their pajamas. It puts your mind in a different place. I think there is something similar at play here that can't/shouldn't be dismissed as simple status seeking.

Yet I very seriously doubt Christ cared. He, in my opinion, would be more comfortable with the poor workers who may not have any fine Sunday clothes then he would be the middle class and rich.

As for whether Christ would care you could be right. But I have always gone to church with people who don't have a lot of money. And at a time when it was considered important, everyone, regardless of income, had a suit of clothes that they reserved for church, weddings, and funerals. For men that meant suit and tie. As far as I can tell, people did so because doing so was regarded as a sign of respect and serious intention. These days clothing is no longer regarded the way it was then. And that's fine. But the formality of dress is a separate issue from ostentation. Those who use their clothing to advertise their wealth or their importance can do so as easily with a $200 pair of jeans, a $600 purse, or a $2500 watch as they can with a suit and tie.

I am really disturbed how lax people have become. I wear a suit and tie or blazer and tie to church. I see people of all ages dressed in tshirts and jeans. During the summer some wear shorts. Growing up, I remember mom dressing us up for services. It does not happen lately.

+1

I wear a dress shirt and dress pants. I would wear a suit, but I think a 19-year-old would look silly in one.

It is a matter of respect and what is in your heart. If you dress to impress, outdo or for others then you have lost sight of who is worshipped and who is the audience at worship, but come to church anyway and let God work in you. God is the audience and all of our actions at church should be acts of worship.

If you are at worship to worship or seek God, then your clothing is not important. If what you wear to church is a distraction to yourself, you should change it. If what I wear is a distraction to you, then quit paying attention to me and pay attention to God.

If I've been on a soapbox, I apologize. What is right or wrong in your attire is judged by God and God alone.

Depends,

...Some other people wear nice clothing out of respect and awe to God. Rather than trying to appear as white-washed tombs, they realize that Christ is their righteousness, not their works or their clothes. However, out of adoration and awe, they dress well, not to be saved, but because they already have been.

You would dress yourself finely in the presence of an earthly king,...

As for whether Christ would care you could be right. But I have always gone to church with people who don't have a lot of money. And at a time when it was considered important, everyone, regardless of income, had a suit of clothes that they reserved for church, weddings, and funerals. For men that meant suit and tie. As far as I can tell, people did so because doing so was regarded as a sign of respect and serious intention. These days clothing is no longer regarded the way it was then. And that's fine. But the formality of dress is a separate issue from ostentation. Those who use their clothing to advertise their wealth or their importance can do so as easily with a $200 pair of jeans, a $600 purse, or a $2500 watch as they can with a suit and tie.

Zenas and TimJ219, you guys hit exactly what I was aiming at. If you were going to meet with the President, you wouldn't consider doing it in jeans and a tshirt and if you did, it would probably be an intentional jab. I still like to see people dress up. It felt good when some of the older women comment on how nice I look and how it's nice to see young men still dress nice for church. I know farmers who don't shave all week, generally wear bibs everywhere, and some don't have two nickles to run together but they still clean up and dress up every Sunday for church. And I can guarantee you that those guys aren't doing it to keep up with the "Jones".

Pyrrhusmj, I will have to take offense to your statement as you worded it. If you had said "For Some, Church is social..." I would grant you that but to say that most, well I'll just say that's not my experience here where I live. I still believe that those around here that do still dress up, MOST do it out of respect to God.

This is wonderful discussion though and has shed a great deal of light on what I was wondering. Keep up the discussions......

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I am really disturbed how lax people have become. I wear a suit and tie or blazer and tie to church. I see people of all ages dressed in tshirts and jeans. During the summer some wear shorts. Growing up, I remember mom dressing us up for services. It does not happen lately.

6AM Mass in a suit and tie.
For me, it is a matter of respect.
Not to the other people there, and not to anyone who could see me.
Just that I would make the effort, and be willing to be a bit uncomfortable for an hour or so a week. Really, too much to ask?

(Cultural Boundaries apply. I wear a Dress Barong when in Manila)

In my line of work I have met many thieves, liars, and cheats and the biggest have worn suits. (The worst sinner I know also wears a suit and is the guy in the mirror who watches me shave every day).

I'm glad not to wear a suit if I can help it as it allows me to just be an average Joe. The church I occasionally go to has a complete mix of dress and cultures - probably why I like it after the bells and smells of empty high church Anglicanism (Episcopalian).

Ultimately, nothing we wear will impress when we stand before the great white throne for a quick round of 'this is your life'.

After all, the first 'Christian' in heaven was the naked thief on the cross next to Jesus.

It's not what you wear, it is the Spirit you bring in that counts.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Each person answers as to whether they would or wouldn't wear this or that based upon their own personal beliefs.
We should be cautious about ascribing the actions, ideas and motivations of others to our own personal beliefs.
My example was that I am showing respect by making my own personal effort.
I hold no fanciful idea that God is impressed by the cut of my suit. The thief from the cross was not admitted for his dress, but for his actions.
Likewise, I hope not to influence God by wearing fancy clothes, I hope to pay homage to God by making the effort that it takes for me to dress nicely.
I recognize that it is my personal way of beginning my worship before I arrive at the church, and I feel no animus for those who choose to worship in a different way.
Similarly, I would hope that other people would not belittle or decry my efforts.

Last edited:
<snip>

You would dress yourself finely in the presence of an earthly king, yet so often people dress so utterly irreverently when worshiping before the King of creation.

<snip>

I don't have a dog(ma) in this fight, but I think you're confusing spirituality with fashion peer-pressure. Clothes are no impediment spirituality. Heck, what _should_ you where when the emperor has no clothes (literally or figuratively)?...

BL: It sounds like it's your problem, not your king's. Maybe looking at it that way will help you resolve the issue or come to terms with it.

Steve

... I don't believe you have to dress up to be a good christian or that God cares how you dress. All that I think that matters is that someone attends the church of their choice and that they practice their faith. However, if you have the means, I still feel church is something you put on "your best" for. I would feel really uncomfortable going to church Sunday morning in a t-shirt and blue jeans. So please share your thoughts.

There are at least two points of view, so please bear with me.

1) You're going to visit the King of the Universe, the Creator, the Father, the God of Abraham, of Isaac, of Jacob. How would you dress if you were paying a call on the President of the United States? Would you dress any less to visit Our Lord and Savior?

2) As God The Father, I am sure he is pleased when we take the time to gather in worship. Sometimes, I do go in jeans and knit shirts - this is especially true of summer months - unless I am called to read in which case it is always at a minimum dress shirt, tie, dress slacks, dress socks and shoes.

BUT - I always think of the parable of the wedding feast where the person who was not dressed properly was thrown out.

On the other hand, I do recall when I was working two states away from the folks, and would drive down to pay them a visit for a weekend that my dad was always, always happy to see me. Then a while later, he would say something to the effect that you know you really should shave. So yes he was happy to see me, but he would have been happier if I had been more presentable.

I can say this..... No matter what the actual answer is, the answer we will learn at our death..... I am going to be worrying about so many things besides what I am wearing when I meet my maker. In fact I am 100&#37; sure that if I met my maker right now.... I'd need a change of underpants.

Last edited:
I can say this..... No matter what the actual answer is, the answer we will learn at our death..... I am going to be worrying about so many things besides what I am wearing when I meet my maker. In fact I am 100% sur that if I met y maker right now.... I'd need a change of underpants.

HA! I wouldn't need a change. I'd be scared S---less! :lol:

As a Catholic Christian, and one closer to the end of my life than the beginning, in all likelihood, there are some things I do think about.

"Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us." I can only pray that I am shown more mercy than I have shown to others at times in this life.

I also often wonder, if at the end of our lives, when we are called to judgement, we will find out the things we did not do, but should have done were more important than the things we did do, even the things we shouldn't have done. This is what the old Baltimore Catechism called sins of omission and sins of commission.

At the end of my life, on top of everything else I may have done wrong, or failed to do, I really do not want God to ask me, "You dressed very nicely for work, why didn't you dress at least as nicely for Mass?" This is not because clothes matter, but the effort we make in our appearance does matter.

Top Bottom