What's new

Church Attire for Sunday Morning Service.

What is your most common dress attire for Sunday Morning Church Service?

• Suit and Tie

• Dress Shirt, Tie, Dress Pants

• Dress Shirt, Dress Pants

• Dress Shirt, Khakis

• Knit Shirt, Khakis

• Knit Shirt, Blue Jeans

• T-shirt, Blue Jeans

Results are only viewable after voting.
What do you wear to Church? Where I live I have noticed a gradual change in how people dress for church, especially with the youth. I'm not judging or saying what is right or wrong but curious about what others thoughts are on the matter.

I'm talking about Sunday Morning service or what ever would be the traditional, "Main" time of worship each week for your religion. Not Wednesday night choir pratice, Youth group time, etc.

Growing up, men sported a suit or button shirt, tie or no tie, and dress pants. Now it ranges from suits to t-shirts and blue jeans. I don't believe you have to dress up to be a good christian or that God cares how you dress. All that I think that matters is that someone attends the church of their choice and that they practice their faith. However, if you have the means, I still feel church is something you put on "your best" for. I would feel really uncomfortable going to church Sunday morning in a t-shirt and blue jeans. So please share your thoughts.

Um...depends on the country methinks. Here in Malaysia, especially in the Catholic Churches (usually not air conditioned) the common attire for (older) guys are short sleeved cotton shirts with Khakis/slacks/jeans. Teens and people who sweat torrents (like me) usually make do with tshirt and jeans. Then there are the totally irreverent ones who turn up in wife beaters, shorts and slippers :cursing: ...those fellas are refused Communion straight away. :p

Roman Catholic Teen

Knit shirt w/ either jeans or cargo shorts, flip flops w/ the shorts.

I know many of my friends who'll show up in tshirts, shorts, flip flops

When I was younger it was more casual. These days I typically go for shirt, tie and dress pants. The Deacons and other staffers tend to wear a full suit.

When I was growing up, I would wear dress pants & shirt, tie and navy blazer. Today, I wear nice dress pants, shirt and blazer. Sometimes, Easter and Christmas, I'll wear a tie or suit. Depends on my mood and whether I'm going out of town to visit family.

I'm Catholic who often frequents a Unitarian service. Both seem to be pretty relaxed i their dress compared to most of the protestant and jewish services I have attended.

With that said, I had a priest tell me when I was an altar boy "Who cares what you wear, God doesn't, and if your neighbor does.... they are not good christians in the eyes of the lord for judging you" Of course he is also the one that told me that some of the best Christians he knows, those that truly follow the lord's teaching never show up to church.

Michael

Well, I always turn up in suit and tie, but that is mainly because I work as a cathedral organist! If I'm not working I'll usually go in formal shirt and trousers... that said, what people wear to church doesn't bother me in the least, so long as it isn't indecent!

Let's face it. One of the few places left where a man can dress like a man in a blazer and tie is church. Even my work dress code has gone to hell.

I was doing a nice shirt tie dress pants no jacket because it is hot in Louisiana, but now I am starting to put together odd jacket blazer combos.

I started a thread about church attire here

to answer your question, my church is very open about dress attire and i've seen people in everything from jeans/t-shirts to suits and dress casual. but the majority of my fellow churchgoers dress casually, meaning some sort of dress pants, shirt, dress, shoes, etc. I say wear what you want and what makes you feel comfortable.

I personally wear dress pants, usually brown, black or grey, a button up collared shirt, dress shoes and sometimes a tie. I haven't worn a tie the last 2 weeks because I rarely see anyone in my church that wears one, so I sometimes feel 'over-dressed.' but, my church attire is less formal than someone who wears a suit. I'll probably wear my usual wardrobe w/tie for Easter Sunday.

If you go by some of the farmers in my area "Gods work is not done in a monkey suit" my church has a mix of everything. Myself, I wear a button down shirt and long pants and decent shoes. Anything else goes. That being said I did skip Easter mass one year because all I had to wear was tee shirts. But that's just me.
Johnny

Then there are the totally irreverent ones who turn up in wife beaters, shorts and slippers :cursing: ...those fellas are refused Communion straight away. :p

And that, my friends, is one of the many reasons why I can't take organised religion.

Someone further down said his priest said that the best Christians he knew didn't attend church. I've met many heathens who attend regularly.

Gareth

I am really disturbed how lax people have become. I wear a suit and tie or blazer and tie to church. I see people of all ages dressed in tshirts and jeans. During the summer some wear shorts. Growing up, I remember mom dressing us up for services. It does not happen lately.

Generally not a suit, but usually a sport coat or classic blue blazer, dress pants or khakis, nice shoes, dress shirt. Sometimes a tie, sometimes not. I never wear jeans or informal clothes to church.

Here in Cowboy Country about the only tie you'll see is on a visiting pastor once in a while.

Clothes don't mean squat in Gods plan.

But they were pretty important to the Sanhedrin.

Depends on how uptight one is about their own status.:ohmy:

Here in Cowboy Country about the only tie you'll see is on a visiting pastor once in a while.

Clothes don't mean squat in Gods plan.

But they were pretty important to the Sanhedrin.

Depends on how uptight one is about their own status.:ohmy:

Depends,

The Pharisees wore elaborate clothing to honor themselves. Christ compared them to white-washed tombs because they were attractive on the outside, but unclean on the inside.

Some other people wear nice clothing out of respect and awe to God. Rather than trying to appear as white-washed tombs, they realize that Christ is their righteousness, not their works or their clothes. However, out of adoration and awe, they dress well, not to be saved, but because they already have been.

You would dress yourself finely in the presence of an earthly king, yet so often people dress so utterly irreverently when worshiping before the King of creation. I personally think it dangerous to imagine the God who struck a man dead for reaching out to steady His footstool (the Ark) and struck His high priest's sons dead for offering profane fire, as a dottering, grandfatherly figure who will excuse me because He is kind and nice. In no wise will He excuse me, nor has He. He wrought my punishment on His Son and because of His Son I am acceptable, but nonetheless accountable for how I conduct myself, most especially before Him.

Last edited:
Now I only go for weddings and funerals, growing up it was my Catholic school uniform (blue blazer, white shirt, dress blue or kaki pants, blue or blue and white tie) for school day service and a full suit and tie on sunday. Also I was an alterboy, I would wear a suit to church and hang up the jacket and wear the robe over the shirt and tie.

Top Bottom