What's new

Chubby 3 super vs Stubby Heritage 3XL

Anyone out there have both? How would you compare them?

On paper they seem similar but I'm sure each has it's own unique personality.

The Rooney is more fan and the Simpson more bulb from what I can see.

Other differences?

Is one softer (tips or hair)?
Is one stiffer or floppier (I hesitate to use that word with either of these, understood it's strictly a relative term)?

Anything else come to mind?

Thanks guys,

Looking forward to your impressions,

Ken

The differences between the two brushes are as you said minor, but they do have different personalities. The Stubby has a smaller handle, flatter knot, and softer tips. The Chubby has a much bigger handle, less flop, and a slightly bigger face feel. Density can go both ways my Chubby 3 < my Stubby 3 < my brothers Chubby 3. So the density is a crap shoot but to be honest these are 3 of the most dense brushes I have used.

Both are great face lather brushes, but the weakness of both is that they are relatively high lofted for face lathering. The flop is very low on both as they are very densely packed and have excellent backbone. You just wont get the short loft scrubby feeling of the new Stubby XL's or an Simpson Eagle. Again this is a small differences and both are scrubby, just not markedly so like the above mentioned brushes.

The Stubby is slightly more luxurious and the Chubby is just over the top decedent. If you want a bigger hammer get the Chubby, if you want to baby yourself get the Stubby.

Excellent comparison, Seth! Thank you very much. I'm guessing it will be a bit before I pull the trigger on either one :biggrin1: (yeah, right:blushing:) but good to figure out now which way I'm going.

Cheers, and Happy New Year, Brother!

Ken

Ken,

I owe you an appology I was comparing the Chubby 3 to the Stubby 3, not the Stubby 3XL. The comparison does not change to much, aside from the three band Stubby is a short loft scrubby brush. The tips are still impossibly soft and the density is fantastic. The biggest difference would be that the 3XL (I have a 2XL so I'm inferring a bit here) feels like a much smaller on the face. My 2XL is a 28mm but feels closer to a 25mm in terms of face feel. For what its wroth I sold off my Stubby 3 as it was very similar to some of my other big brushes, but the XXL is staying as it fits a different role.

The Chubby 3 is still a big decedent brush. The Stubby 2 is more of a medium sized luxury face scrubber. I think of the Stubby XXL as an Eagle 3 on steroids but with the luxury factor of the Heritage line.

No worries, brother. More info is always good and appreciated. I had read your initial post as addressing the 3 not the 3XL but nice to add in the additional information.

Which brushes did you find too similar to the Stubby 3? Other Heritage brushes or something entirely different?

Cheers!

Ken

I loosely grouped the Chubby 3, Stubby 3, Lee Sabini horn, TGN 30mm Silvertip Grade A, and although its slightly smaller my Shavemac D01 (the density, backbone, and higher loft make it feel big for a 24mm, more like a ~26mm). All of these brushes are "Chubby" style to me with big dense knots and mediumish lofts. I found myself using the Lee Sabini most because of the combination of handle size and shape along with the shortest loft. It also has a very small amount of skritch in the hair. Its soft, but I apparently like medium soft over ultra soft when it comes to three bands.

Loric, amazing analysis. Much appreciated. I am totally resisting the Stubby XL line. Vlad, I am sorry to say, has gone to the point of no return. Poor fellow. Vlad, I think I asked this in your thread, but what is that brush on the far left in your photo above? It looks evil.

Loric, amazing analysis. Much appreciated. I am totally resisting the Stubby XL line. Vlad, I am sorry to say, has gone to the point of no return. Poor fellow. Vlad, I think I asked this in your thread, but what is that brush on the far left in your photo above? It looks evil.

The Stubby 3XL. Only three or four left. Then GONE FOREVER! :biggrin1:

I'm not a huge fan of Heritage hair - neither the Stubbys nor the Stubby XLs.
I just don't feel that they are that great, both the density and backbone is much less than I like in a brush.
(disclamer: I mostly prefer Rooney Finest, so my idea of density/backbone is slightly biased)

I would definitely go with the Simpsons Chubby.

I just don't feel that they are that great, both the density and backbone is much less than I like in a brush.
(disclamer: I mostly prefer Rooney Finest, so my idea of density/backbone is slightly biased)

You have a point. I prefer the Simpsons Super over Rooney 2 band too. However the Heritage 3 band is superior to anything else Simpsons has.

Last edited:

I don't think the XLs have less backbone than the Chubbys. The CH3 Super might be more dense than the XL, but not the CH2 Best. To me the real question is how soft-tipped you like your brush, and how big you want it to feel on the face.

Top Bottom