What's new

Chubby 3 Sovereign LE

I just noticed Simpson's has posted a peculiar LE to their website...a CH3 in Sovereign synthetic hair, i.e., the hair used in the Trafalgar brushes instead of the Platinum hair used in their CH2, Duke, &c synthetics. It's cheaper than most of their Platinum offerings, but a lot more expensive than the Trafalgars. This is really quite interesting...I wonder if the Sovereign grade would act differently at Chubby densities. Sadly, I'm not really a synthetic guy, so I don't think I'll be ordering one myself...but it's just such a strange thing for them to make.

I personally wouldn't want the Sovereign fibre to be at Chubby density levels, the backbone and flow-through would be affected negatively. I have the Trafalgar T3 and it's perfect.

I see what you mean about the flow through (given that Chubbies in all forms are sworn enemies of flow through), but I'm a bit curious why you say that Chubby densities would negatively affect backbone. It seems to me like backbone would be the main benefit of having a knot that dense...unless you meant the brush would have too much backbone?

I see what you mean about the flow through (given that Chubbies in all forms are sworn enemies of flow through), but I'm a bit curious why you say that Chubby densities would negatively affect backbone. It seems to me like backbone would be the main benefit of having a knot that dense...unless you meant the brush would have too much backbone?
Yes precisely that, the backbone would be too much. But upon looking at the picture on their site, I don't think any potential buyers should be worried as the knot appears to be the same density, although in larger diameter. The Chubby handle is a classic, no matter which form of knot is used on top.

I am not a big fan of my Trafalgars so have no interest in the CH3 with Soverign bristles. I do have a Simpson “collection” but use all of mine regularly. If I owned the CH3 Soverign, I would likely never use it.

I really like the Platinum knots and own a few... CH2, M7 and Special. The special is a terrible brush, but I love the M7 and Chubby 2.

I am not a big fan of my Trafalgars so have no interest in the CH3 with Soverign bristles. I do have a Simpson “collection” but use all of mine regularly. If I owned the CH3 Soverign, I would likely never use it.

I really like the Platinum knots and own a few... CH2, M7 and Special. The special is a terrible brush, but I love the M7 and Chubby 2.

Was the Special an LE? I don't remember seeing the Special in synthetic, and owing to the generic nature of the word "special" it's pretty hard to Google for.

Yeah, I've got a Trafalgar 2 that I've literally never taken out of its crepe paper...I've opened the box and felt the bristles, but never actually taken it out and used it. Not that I expect it to be a bad brush or anything...it's just I so rarely reach for a synthetic option. My CH2 synthetic rarely gets any use outside of the occasional time I don't have time to soak my brush...it's a lovely brush, if a bit soft for my tastes, but there's so many amazing badgers and boars that synths sort of go by the wayside for me.

And yes, I feel you...I'm slowly accepting that I'm a Simpson's collector, but I'm still trying to hold myself to brushes I'll actually use. I keep being tempted by a Polo 14 to show off next to my Wee Scot, but that's just such an absurd brush I doubt I'd actually use it that much.

Was the Special an LE? I don't remember seeing the Special in synthetic, and owing to the generic nature of the word "special" it's pretty hard to Google for.

Yeah, I've got a Trafalgar 2 that I've literally never taken out of its crepe paper...I've opened the box and felt the bristles, but never actually taken it out and used it. Not that I expect it to be a bad brush or anything...it's just I so rarely reach for a synthetic option. My CH2 synthetic rarely gets any use outside of the occasional time I don't have time to soak my brush...it's a lovely brush, if a bit soft for my tastes, but there's so many amazing badgers and boars that synths sort of go by the wayside for me.
Sorry, my bad. I meant Classic, not Special. Don’t think there was a Special synth.

I didn't know the M7 came in Platinum. I must get into a GRUME sooner than later....

Here are my Simpsons synthetics.

CC0D5569-138B-48D9-9E8D-0D437DA4FC93.jpeg

Trafalgar 1 Sovereign bristle
Duke 3 Platinum
Chubby 2 Sovereign
M7 Platinum

Despite the price size shape density and bristle grade differences, all are equally and highly effective, superior to badger in every way.

I find the Sovereign bristle softer. The Chubby is not really a lather hog nor does it feel too big, unlike its badger counterpart. I think the Ch3 Sovereign would be wonderful and I might just get it.

The T1 is a fraction of the price of the others. It is just as effective, but the loft is less dense and the handle is much lighter, almost feels hollow. It’s not really a problem although a weighty handle does part of the work for you. I wouldn’t mind at all if the T1 was my only brush, can’t say I’d be missing out really.

Top Bottom