What's new

Chubby 2 - get it in Best or Super?

S

Sam

Well, I have read up that the Super grade of hair in Chubby line can be different. Some have just two bands of coloring - one a black band with silver tips on top. Others have three bands, with a light or ecru band next to the handle, followed on top of that by the black band and then the top band is not as white as the other supers, and just a bit lighter than the regular best.

I am really thinking of going best but want to put this out there for those who have one and can comment. I had a PJ1 in best before and it was scratchy and never lathered a cream and too darn small. I have Shavemacs and want to know how stiff and scrubby and scratchy the CHubby is compared to that.

Been thinking of calling up Lee

Someone said that the Chubby is a beefed up Kent Bk8, and I like the sound of that. The BK8 was perfect except it really splayed open

Sam

Sam said:
Well, I have read up that the Super grade of hair in Chubby line can be different. Some have just two bands of coloring - one a black band with silver tips on top. Others have three bands, with a light or ecru band next to the handle, followed on top of that by the black band and then the top band is not as white as the other supers, and just a bit lighter than the regular best.

I am really thinking of going best but want to put this out there for those who have one and can comment. I had a PJ1 in best before and it was scratchy and never lathered a cream and too darn small. I have Shavemacs and want to know how stiff and scrubby and scratchy the CHubby is compared to that.

Been thinking of calling up Lee

Someone said that the Chubby is a beefed up Kent Bk8, and I like the sound of that. The BK8 was perfect except it really splayed open

Sam

Sam,
Seriously man..... seriously..... just buy a brush.

Hello Sam,

I have a Chubby 2 in best and an Kent BK4 and believe me, the Kent is less than half the price of the Simpson but I prefer to use it every day. So, if I can give you an advice, keep your money .... and just buy a brush :wink:

Have a great day,

jp

ps: Joel, thanks for your excellent thread "Brush war" and your "even more" excellent advices.

Sam- do like Joel says- Either way you go, they're great brushes. No need to obsess. (Although, in fairness, we can't all obtain every brush that was ever invented to do a comprehensive, systematic test to decide which one is preferable... We're lucky enough to have your generous donation of time and resources to report back!)

Wish I could help on the comparison, but all I can offer is that I do like my Chub2 Super, super white tips, no barbs, really soft where it counts. Can't say anything about the Best.

S

Sam

If anyone has gotten a Chubby 2 Super lately, let me know if it is the two-banded or three-banded brush per my earlier post. If I Can get the Super that has the black extending into the handle, that is the Super I want

sam

Sam said:
If anyone has gotten a Chubby 2 Super lately, let me know if it is the two-banded or three-banded brush per my earlier post. If I Can get the Super that has the black extending into the handle, that is the Super I want

sam
Sam,
I am sure that Robt of TGS will send you that which you request, even if he must go out and mate the appropriately marked badgers to get the offsprings hair.

Alright Sam... here goes.....

Do not get a chubby.... don't. Honestly, what you want in a brush seems to change quite frequently, but I can assure you from your previous purchases, likes/dislikes, etc - you will not be happy with the Chubby 2 in best or super... period. The handle is annoyingly small and wide, and the bristle is going to be packed too densly for your taste and getting the "white at the tip, black to the roots" will simply exaggerate the stiff/scrubbing qualities of the brush further, making it even more displeasurable to you. You want a BK8 with a little more "hutzbah" - and the Chubby 2 is NOT even close.

I like the Chubby 2, but I would NOT want to use it on a daily bassis, as it is way too much brush. Don't get me wrong, it is a wonderful brush - but it is just WAY too serious for daily use in my opinion - which I feel is closer to your taste/preferences. It is NOT luxurious in my eyes - as it is doesn't pamper you.... it scrubs.... really.... really a lot. A soft scrubbing? Sure.... but scrubbing is the name of this bird.

Due to the possible OVER-density of the brush, the brush doesn't gracefully coat your face in lather, you have to work to get the right mix, and the right scrubbing/painting motion to work the lather from the inner workings of the brush - onto your face. Does it work like a madman? Absolutly! Is it luxurious? No. Am I glad I have one, and would I buy one again? Yes.... but I have more than 25 high end brushes, and the chubby offers a TOTALLY different experience (night and day) to ANY other brush I own.

You want a mix between a kent and a shavemac from what I can gather. You want a brush around the general size of the BK8 that is not floppy like the BK8, and is packed denser - much like the shavemac - but is a little softer and more luxurious than the shavemac - and a little smaller/more controllable.

Now the reason I have been so coy at answering your question in the past... is the news and suggestion I am going to tell you - you aren't going to want to hear, and it is going to go against everything the "old time" experts have/may have been telling you.

What YOU want for YOUR desired qualities and effect is a simpson PJ3 WITH the 3 bands.... white tips, black mid section, and yellow/white to the base. Period - bottom line.

Ask publically or PM mrob, Kyle, myself, Scotto or ANY PJ3 owner and they will tell you it is much stouter than a kent/vulfix, still provides a scrubbing action, but it very soft and luxurious at the tip.

It may not be the most expensive, the rarest, or most "prized" brush you have considered compared to the likes of a 2 band chubby/plisson... but for you it is the best option.

So far as I am concerned - a chubby is not "luxurious" and a Plisson is primarily for shaving soaps... I have had 4 plissons all were "ok" with creams, superb with soaps. The 3 band PJ3 is your ticket... I guarantee.

S

Sam

Joel: I am weighing your post very carefully. The Kent BK8 was along the lines of a great size, knotwise and the handle is good, but it splayed out. Very soft. The Shavemac XXL I have seems to remedy that very well. It is however a 30mm knot. I got a 23mm knotted Shavemac, loved it, but it was small. The smaller knots tend to open up a bit more (my SMF1 is between the 23mm and 30mm XXL as far as that). So I do not necessarily want a repeat of the Shavemac or else I know that the XL (28mm) is the way to go on that.

Now, Plisson, I would consider a Euro White. Id rather have a Simpsons and a Plisson Euro for the cost of a Plisson HMW.

Rooney is doable, I like Style 1, large obviously, and the grade below finest is only about $160. DO not know how they compare as far as feel.

Scrubbing is ok. I do want the brush to be distinguishable from the SMF1 and the XXL Shavemacs I have. Not too far away, but a bit of scrubbing action would not be bad. I had a PJ1 in best and never could get a good lather. It scrubbed and was not a bad feel. It was not as dense as the Shavemac.

Hey Joel,
I have a simpson Duke 3 in best badger, and it shure is one scrubby....scrubby little brush! I think it has about the same bristle profile as a Chubby 1 w/ maybe a 1mm smaller knott? Do you think that a PJ3 in Best would still give me some of that BK feel? I love my BK4, but would love somthing with just a little more oomph! Cheers, DJ.

Sam said:
Joel: I am weighing your post very carefully. The Kent BK8 was along the lines of a great size, knotwise and the handle is good, but it splayed out. Very soft. The Shavemac XXL I have seems to remedy that very well. It is however a 30mm knot. I got a 23mm knotted Shavemac, loved it, but it was small. The smaller knots tend to open up a bit more (my SMF1 is between the 23mm and 30mm XXL as far as that). So I do not necessarily want a repeat of the Shavemac or else I know that the XL (28mm) is the way to go on that.

Now, Plisson, I would consider a Euro White. Id rather have a Simpsons and a Plisson Euro for the cost of a Plisson HMW.

Rooney is doable, I like Style 1, large obviously, and the grade below finest is only about $160. DO not know how they compare as far as feel.

Scrubbing is ok. I do want the brush to be distinguishable from the SMF1 and the XXL Shavemacs I have. Not too far away, but a bit of scrubbing action would not be bad. I had a PJ1 in best and never could get a good lather. It scrubbed and was not a bad feel. It was not as dense as the Shavemac.

Sam,
I apoligize, but I do not understand your point.... a PJ1 in best is a TOTALLY different beast than a PJ3 super.

If you JUST want scrubbing - get a Chubby 2. I would suggest however you just get something, as you have been on these forums for at least 3 years, and have read way more than myself, and nearly any other member of ANY forum about shaving brushes... I think at this point ANY opinions/comments/etc you get will be of little to no use to you, as quite frankly you have read so many pro's/con's to each brush - it must be quite muddled, which is probably why you have had such a hard, and long time choosing a brush. We really aren't talking about that much $ here, and when you figure you are a lawyer, and you probably bill at at LEAST $100 per hour - if you figure how much time you have spent looking at these brushes, and agonizing over each one, you could have bought 3-4 of each example you have looked at, as you have been looking for MONTHS.

Seriously..... buy one.... any one.... and if you don't like it... sell it. Hell - buy all 3-4 choices, use each one 3-4 times, choose which one you like - sell the rest, and figure you take a $100 loss at most.... it is one hour (billing) of your time... you'd end up saving yourself a fortune in the long run my friend, and it is the ONLY way you will be 100% confident and happy with whichever brush you choose.

Dinder1 said:
Hey Joel,
I have a simpson Duke 3 in best badger, and it shure is one scrubby....scrubby little brush! I think it has about the same bristle profile as a Chubby 1 w/ maybe a 1mm smaller knott? Do you think that a PJ3 in Best would still give me some of that BK feel? I love my BK4, but would love somthing with just a little more oomph! Cheers, DJ.

PJ3 in super. I for one am not wild about Simpson best badger. It is decent stuff, but doesn't hold as much water, and doesn't feel as nice. The PJ2/3 in super (more so the PJ2 as I feel it is the perfect brush) is without question the most tractable, and versatile brush out there. Very soft, splays out just enough to be able to build lather on ones face, but stiff enough to not be floppy, and work outstanding for hard soaps. Personally myself and a few others on this board think the PJ series is the crown jewel of shaving brushes.

I have over 25 brushes... some of which 4X the price of a new PJ2/3 in super.... and I can't say a single one is "superior" to the PJ's overall.

Joel, thanks for your reply, I may have to give Lee a call and see how much $$$$ a PJ2 would run me. Do you happen to know the Knot size of the PJ2? Maybe I should just save my pennies for the B&B brush! Oh hell , maybe I'll just get both!!!!! Thanks again for your help Joel. Cheers, DJ.

Dinder1 said:
Joel, thanks for your reply, I may have to give Lee a call and see how much $$$$ a PJ2 would run me. Do you happen to know the Knot size of the PJ2? Maybe I should just save my pennies for the B&B brush! Oh hell , maybe I'll just get both!!!!! Thanks again for your help Joel. Cheers, DJ.

DJ,
Check THIS out. It should have all of the pertinant information you are looking for on the different Simpson Models. It doesn't have the PJ2, but it is about 22/23mm, and the PJ3 is a little closer to 25mm than 24mm quoted on em's site. Please note however, knot size really is not that significant... I mean it is to a certain extent, but bristle density, and loft will make a much smaller brush (than you think) act one HELL of a lot bigger.

The PJ2 is very "sporty" feeling if you will, very easy to control, quick to lather, can really build up lather on ones face, and work the bristle around. The PJ3 is bigger, meatier, heavier (quite a bit) and has a whole lot more handle. Totally different feel - it is more of a luxury brush. Think of it like a Lotus Elise sports car, versus a Lexus Sedan. Both outstanding in their own right... just depends on what you are looking for. If I had to use ONLY one brush in my collection - it would be the PJ2, hands down. Not to say the PJ3 isn't superb, and many others might personally prefer it over the PJ2, but for me PERSONALLY, the PJ2 really is the perfect mix of silky soft luxury, size, weight, shape, bristle density (splays out, yet is not floppy) knot size, handle size, etc.

Your personal experiences may vary.... but everyone I have turned onto a PJ2 (Rik & Jerry to name 2 quick ones) have LOVED it... however on the same token, everyone I have turned onto a PJ3 (Kyle & mrob) have also equally LOVED 'em. To each their own.... but so far as I am concerned, for the price, quality, appearance, etc... the PJ2/3 is hard to touch. I'll have to get a PJ1 one of these days just for kicks.

As far as the forum brush goes.... that is a giant unknown. If you can only buy one... I'd hold off and see what materializes first, as PJ's are easy to come by, and are available from many online and offline retailers.... the forum brush would be a one shot deal. If the forum brush doesn't tickle your fancy, you can buy a PJ at anytime... where as the reverse would not be the case. :smile:

Just a quick note to reinforce Joel's previous posts re: the PJ3 Super. I've had mine for about 6 weeks or so, and look forward to my shave with it each day.

The bristles are soft where you want them soft, hold ridiculous amounts of water, and create gobs of rich lather. They also provide just the right touch of "scritchiness," which enhances the lathering experience, at least for me.

The handle is solid and easy to grasp, and beautifully made.

Like Sam, I agonized over this decision--maybe not as long as Sam, but equally as traumatic a decision making process--and I can honestly say that I have never regretted the purchase for a second. I got my PJ3 from Lee at http://www.leesrazors.com/ and can report that not only is Lee a true gentleman, but his service and advice were fantastic--a pleasure to deal with.

Pull the trigger, Sam. If you don't like the brush you can sell it for pretty near cost--what do you have to lose?

linty1

My wallet cries.
Just curious to what @Sam ended up deciding on? The Chubby 2 and kent bk8 are very different experiences on the face, I wouldn't say one is particularly "good" or "bad", just different.

On and in terms of Best or Super... personally I have both, and compared side by side, I can def feel the difference in hair, the Best having a touch of scrub while the Super being soft. If you just have just the one brush? Maybe you wouldn't notice. I've also read it's a bit of a crapshoot with the best, with some ppl getting "good" best hair and some not as great with a bit more scrub in it.

The only Super I have experience with is my Emperor 3 and it doesn't have hardly any of that pleasant scrubbiness that I enjoy in my best brushes. I can hardly feel it on my face while face lathering. That said, I am really curious as to how different an experience a chubby 2 would be in super since I have all three chubbies in best. Now does scratchiness equate to prickliness? I hate prickliness but never understood what scratchiness is being that the only brush that has ever given me prickliness to make it feel itchy was a vulvix pure badger I once owned.

Last edited:

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
well done guys, this takes the cake
As you can see, Sam is long gone.....nearly 17 years.....I do not understand why all these super old Simpson threads are dug up --- shilling....

Necromancy.jpg

The only Super I have experience with is my Emperor 3 and it doesn't have hardly any of that pleasant scrubbiness that I enjoy in my best brushes. I can hardly feel it on my face while face lathering. That said, I am really curious as to how different an experience a chubby 2 would be in super since I have all three chubbies in best. Now does scratchiness equate to prickliness? I hate prickliness but never understood what scratchiness is being that the only brush that has ever given me prickliness to make it feel itchy was a vulvix pure badger I once owned.
*Scritchiness, not scratchiness.

Top Bottom