What's new

Chubby 2 doubt

Hi,

I am thinking of buying a new brush, I have thought of a SIMPSON CHUBBY 2

I am hesitating between Manchurian Badger or Silver Tip Badger

I have a CHUBBY 1 super, and a PERSIAN JAR 3 best

what difference is there between the 2 hairs? what hair is best for a CHUBBY 2?

someone who has both, what do you recommend?

Thanks in advance

Manchurian Badger have more back bone and the hair is thicker. I like finest and Manchurian Badger. Sivertips are to floppy and soft for me. I face lather, if that makes a difference.

93B8D19F-62F2-4A7C-A4A1-DC5599731EC1.jpeg
2Band Silvertip is for me a very balanced and approachable grade. Manchurian has good scrub and mine started out faintly scritchy (this is now mostly gone after approximately 10 shaves).

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
View attachment 13570162Band Silvertip is for me a very balanced and approachable grade. Manchurian has good scrub and mine started out faintly scritchy (this is now mostly gone after approximately 10 shaves).
What he said, Manchurian and the two-band silvertip are great hair grades. Have both in different shaped handles, I like the Manchurian - I have two and the brushes are about 6 years apart, but the hair is very much the same. Best grade can be hit and miss. I would rate these two grades quite comparable to Shavemac D01 twoband and their two-band silvertip.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
My D01 is a big step up in backbone compared to the Duke3 Manchurian but it might be an outlier.
What I think is very important that only same knot size and loft can be compared. Often I see brushes compared, but they have total different measurements. Some makers have quite a swing in their sizing, even for the same brush model.
Also shape has an influence that should not be neglected - so compare a fan with a fan, bulb with a bulb.

In the end, you are the only person who can answer this question.

One can compare hair diameter, knot density, etc., etc.
What makes you happy is likely different from what will make me smile! :a29:

I have a Chubby 2 in both Manchurian and 2 Band Silvertip. I prefer the 2 Band Silvertip if forced to pick. Almost as much backbone, softer tips. That said, I like them both.
This is spot on IMO.

The Ch2 Silvertip has almost the same backbone as Manchurian but the tips are of similar softness to Simpson’s 3 band Super.

I own many nice brushes and my favourite by far is my Chubby 2 Silvertip.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
a curious question: does chubby 2 have the knot coming out of the strap measuring exactly 27mm or more?
Simpson are known to play fast and loose with their dimensions of knot size and loft by several mm. I have seen 30mm Chubby 2 brushes with a loft 5mm greater than advertised. The lofts are sometimes lower but I have not seen a knot smaller than advertised in diameter. You can request variations if ordering direct from Simpson, especially for a bespoke brush. For some it is frustrating and for others it is part of the appeal of Simpson.

Top Bottom