What's new

Chubby 1 vs Duke 3

Hello fellow wet shavers!!

The journey upon the road of wet shaving has been a delight! Along the way, I have acquired some great brushes--particularly the Duke 3. However, I have an idea that I would like to try the luxurious, pillowy-softness of the Simpson super badger hair. I'm strictly a face latherer (for now) and I love the size of the Duke 3. Seems to me that the Chubby 1 has similar dimensions to the Duke 3 (same loft and similar knot size). For those who currently have the Chubby 1 in Super and Duke 3 or for those of you who have tried both, can you give me your opinion comparing the 2 sizes and your overall experience with both brushes? Thank you all so much!

P.S. I am open to suggestions for other brushes that are similar in size to the Duke 3, but have an extremely soft feel (without being floppy). I cannot stand to have any scratchy feel from the brush...bleh (one reason I abandoned my only boar brush, an Omega).

Simpson Best grade is scrubby, and if you draw the short stick even scratchy. Chubby 1 in Super or Chubby 2 in Synthetic would be my pick.

@MTG Jr My Duke 3 has Best badger hair. It’s a good brush, but I really enjoy soft brushes. Most soft brushes are floppy, which I do not care for, which is why I’m inquiring about the Chubby 1 since it’s dimensions are similar. As I understand it, the Chubby line is quite dense, so I would imagine that the Super grade hair is luxuriously soft yet not floppy due to the density of the brush.

The reason I asked is that I have the Duke 3 Best and I find it to be very soft. Granted, I haven’t used any Simpsons with higher than Best grade hair, but I love the feel of my two Simpson Best brushes (Duke 3 and Commodore X3). They feel very soft and luxurious to me.

Honestly I don’t know the difference between scritchy, scrubby and scratchy, but the Duke is slightly too scratchy for my face. I will continue to use the brush, but I want a softer brush without being floppy. I really enjoy the size of the Duke though (I think it’s either 22mm - 23mm).

This is why my Duke 3’s are in 2 band—solves the scritch problem.

However, I also have a Duke 3 in best, and it’s a pretty good one so only mild scritch. Good travel brush for extended trips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an opportunity to purchase a Duke 3 two band silvertip, but is the 2 band as soft as Simpson’s super silvertip?

For those who have tried both, what’s the difference between the Simpson 2-band Silvertip and the Super Silvertip?

My apologies for replying to my own thread, but I couldn’t find a way to edit my previous post. Thanks y’all!

I have tried the Chubby 1 in both Super and Best, among many other Simpsons and brushes from other manufacturers

In my opinion, if you like soft and you like the Duke 3, you will probably love the Chubby 1 in Super. It's probably my all-time favorite brush. There's zero scratchy feel from it. It is truly an amazing brush.

The two band is slightly less soft, less dense, and more bulb-shaped than the 3 band super (typically). I had a Tulip T2 with this hair, and I did not enjoy the excessive bulb shape, so I sold it, but YMMV

I have a chubby 2 in super I found right here on BST for 120 bucks. The face feel is an absolute luxury. With that being said, I could have just as easily gone with a Chubby 1 in super. The 2 is huge (handle a little on the big side for me too).

@bigbrucefan I had considered the Chubby 2 too, but I was thinking the brush may be a little large for my tastes. Any reason you bought the Chubby 2 vs the Chubby 1, or was it simply availability of the Chubby 2 at a good price? Either way, I definitely want to buy in the super grade.

@bigbrucefan I had considered the Chubby 2 too, but I was thinking the brush may be a little large for my tastes. Any reason you bought the Chubby 2 vs the Chubby 1, or was it simply availability of the Chubby 2 at a good price? Either way, I definitely want to buy in the super grade.
I got the Chubby2 b/c it was a steal.

I have a Chubby 1 in best and a Duke 2 in best which are both terrific! My Chubby has more backbone for sure! I also have a Tulip 2 in super that is a treat! You might also add a Tulip 2 or 3 to your list for consideration! :thumbup1: :thumbup1: :thumbup1:

Thanks so much for alerting me about the Persian Jar. I had never even visited that forum before!

@BigJ What about the Tulip2 and 3 do you like most? Do you use your Chubby, Duke or Tulip more? I was only focusing on the Chubby 1 in Super because the Chubby series seem to be hugely popular here, plus I do enjoy my Simpson Duke.

Thank you for the great feedback!

Thanks so much for alerting me about the Persian Jar. I had never even visited that forum before!

@BigJ What about the Tulip2 and 3 do you like most? Do you use your Chubby, Duke or Tulip more? I was only focusing on the Chubby 1 in Super because the Chubby series seem to be hugely popular here, plus I do enjoy my Simpson Duke.

Thank you for the great feedback!

First, Simpsons best has considerable variability so what may be true for my Simpsons may not be the same for yours.

That said, my Chubby and Classic have the most backbone of my Simpsons ’collection.’ My Tulip 2 in super has a lovely knot similar to the knot on my Duke 2 best, albeit with a more ’luxurious’ feel.
I use all of my Simpsons rotation about equally often depending on my mood that AM! :a29:

Hope this helps!

Top Bottom