What's new

Chubby 1 Super replacement

There’s only one thing I hate about this brush: THE HANDLE. Even though I have small hands, it’s excruciating to use it. It literally puts me off.
On the other hand, the knot is everything I love! The density, the flow, the diameter, the loft, the feel on the face, backbone, everything is perfect!

I was wondering what other manufacturer offers knots like Chubby 1 in Super.

All the things I love mentioned above are important to me, especially the density.

I was thinking about Shavemac, the Silvertip D01 or Silvertip D01-2band maybe?

If you have any of the above, or another maker, what would be the closest to Chubby 1 Super knot?

Thanks a milion!

Bo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

P.S. I have the Eagle and I love it!! But it doesn’t have the same density

The Shavemac D-01 knot is a super knot and really dense, I've had my B&B LE 2012 brush with that knot and it's held its shape and still works great. Now, I only have a Chubby1 in Best, so I can't comment on the tip softness of Simpsons Chubby 1 in Super versus the D-01.

Quick Warning: D01 2-Band is NOTHING like Simpson Super. While I have not tried the Chubby 1, I have / had Chubby 2 and 3 and both of them are far from the D01 2-Band.

The answer: Tulip T2-3 and Polo 8 do seem like good options. I do like the Emperor 3 handle a lot, but the knot is very different from the CH1 knot in terms of density and loft.

More details: I have written to Shavemac asking to replace the D01 2-Band knot in my brush with another type of hair. I can send you my brush to try, with the only ask that if he responds, you ship it directly to him to save travel time. Of course, I don't expect you to cover international shipping insured cost - you just show me the receipt and I'll reimburse. I know this is all a hassle and a bit complicated, but that's how much I believe one should try a D01 2-Band before ordering.

I think the tulip 2 suggestions above are well made. I own the tulip 2 and a chubby 1 super. 2 of my all time favorite brushes. The tulip has a bit smaller knot diameter and a bit higher loft, but their performance is very similar; at least that's my experience.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Quick Warning: D01 2-Band is NOTHING like Simpson Super. While I have not tried the Chubby 1, I have / had Chubby 2 and 3 and both of them are far from the D01 2-Band.

The answer: Tulip T2-3 and Polo 8 do seem like good options. I do like the Emperor 3 handle a lot, but the knot is very different from the CH1 knot in terms of density and loft.

More details: I have written to Shavemac asking to replace the D01 2-Band knot in my brush with another type of hair. I can send you my brush to try, with the only ask that if he responds, you ship it directly to him to save travel time. Of course, I don't expect you to cover international shipping insured cost - you just show me the receipt and I'll reimburse. I know this is all a hassle and a bit complicated, but that's how much I believe one should try a D01 2-Band before ordering.
If one wants close to the Chubby Super, then the D01 three band is the way to go - soft and densely packed with hair. The two-band is definitely a total different "animal", strong backbone, thick stemmed hair and, although a great hair, it is an acquired taste not everyone likes.

I don’t know the situation nowadays but in the Somerset days Simpsons super was quite variable. I have a T2 2 band and it is the thicker, stiff hair - very much to my liking. My Astor is a much finer, softer hair and although it looks like 2 band from a few feet away there is actually a dark tan colored band that comes about 1/4” into the loft. Also an excellent brush but completely different from the Tulip that I have.

That’s very kind! If it’s not too inconvenient, I would love to try it! DM sent [emoji4]

Thank you very much gentlemen!
I’ll consider all the options mentioned in the thread

Don’t overlook the Thater silvertips. If you like soft, I don’t think you can softer than their 3-band silvertip. Their bulb knots are awesome!

The Polo has a fantastic knot with a long handle. I have the Polo 8 in best and find it very comfortable and easy to use.

- Greenhouse

Why not take your current chubby 1 super and have the knot re-handled?

Ive heard Rudy can do this. Maybe get a quote from him?

Hello gents,

I have received the D01 2-Band Shavemac, very kindly sent by @izlat so I could compare it with the Chubby 1 in Super I own.
I was very happy to discover that the Shavemac is in the same size range as the Chubby 1 (with a slight difference in shape) so the comparison of the two knots is pertinent enough to focus on the hair differences and their individual performance.

I have used the Shavemac twice, with 2 different soaps (soft and hard). I lathered in a bowl, but finished the final consistency of the lather on the face. 48h stubble for the first shave and 24h for the second.

For my 3rd and last shave, I'm planning to use both, one brush on each side.

Where do I start? Firstly, while being both amazing performers, the differences are huge.
Both knots are extremely dense, with a little plus for Chubby 1. I don't know if it's my imagination, but the hair looks thicker on the Shavemac. In terms of backbone, there's absolutely no resemblance. The D01 2-Band is BY FAR, the stiffest brush I came across. It has more backbone than anything I have ever used. If you like mashing the brush on your face, you may want to consider a different hair type.

For the 48h stubble shave the D01 2-Band was an absolute delight to use. Exfoliating, extremely precise, perfect flow for 3 passes. A bit stubborn on the face, but no real issues. Having less backbone, Chubby 1 feels more like a massage, easier to splay, while the flow is similar. Also, due to its shape maybe, it doesn't feel as precise as the Shavemac. The softness of the tips is luxurious for both brushes; if you're using paint strokes the face feel is amazing. For this shave I used B&M Reserve Spice.

The 24h shave was a bit different. I shave every couple of days because my skin tends to become a bit temperamental after only 1 day between shaves.
I didn't appreciate the stiffness as much, it felt a bit rough to face lather; I might've felt a bit of scritch as well. After about 30 seconds I went back to the bowl to finish my lather. I did enjoy though very much the rest of the shave but I only used paint strokes. The tips feel fantastic! I've used B&M Seville for this shave - loading this brush is extremely easy, fast and effective!
The roughness hasn't been the case with Chubby 1, I have fully face lathered many times with a 24h stubble and I didn't find it aggressive at all.

Now, my main problem with Chubby 1 is the handle. I find it awkward, uncomfortable and excruciating to use. Even though I have small hands, every shave is like running a marathon. Not in the good way.

@izlat's Shavemac has the most comfortable and beautiful handle I have ever used. It literally glued in my hand; it has the perfect diameter, length and a very nice heft that makes it sooo easy to maneuver. And it's an absolute stunner!! Unfortunately, from my exchanges with Izlat I understood that this is a very rare handle, no longer in production.

I'm very bad with reviews (with writing in general). If you have any particular question do not hesitate to drop me a note. I hope all the above make sense and will maybe help someone take the right decision.

And a million thanks to Izlat for sending this beauty over! Very kind, generous and always available to answer to my questions!

I will write a final post as soon as I finish comparing both during one shave.

Cheers!

Bo

IMG_5826.jpeg

IMG_5822.jpeg

IMG_5823.jpeg

IMG_5824.jpeg

IMG_5825.jpeg

Top Bottom