What's new

Chromium oxide on denim any good?

Hello!

So, I've got some 0.5 chromium oxide powder on the way which I'm thinking about mixing with some mineral oil either Lansky or Wahl clipper oil (I already have both of these oils).

I don't want to use my expensive leather strops. Instead, I'd prefer to paste a balsa bench but I was also considering the option of making a DIY paddle strop with some wood I've got in my backyard then glue some old Levi's denim on it. The I'd apply the chromium oxide & mineral oil mixture to the denim.

Do you think that'd be good for my razors?

I can anyway go the balsa bench way. But I'm curious if anyone here has some experience pasting denim? Any good results that way?

Kind regards,
CoffeeAddict24

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
When I first started SR shaving, I use to maintain on a hanging pasted Denim strop.

My paste was an unknown Turkish blend in a wax carrier. I would very lightly paste only about a 50mm (2") of the mid-length of the strop, full width. Stropping the SR would then spread the unseen abrasive over the stropping area. This worked well for me. Then I discover diamond pasted balsa strops.

When I first started SR shaving, I use to maintain on a hanging pasted Denim strop.

My paste was an unknown Turkish blend in a wax carrier. I would very lightly paste only about a 50mm (2") of the mid-length of the strop, full width. Stropping the SR would then spread the unseen abrasive over the stropping area. This worked well for me. Then I discover diamond pasted balsa strops.
I used a chromium oxide crayon on cotton long ago but lost both the pencil and cotton strop.

What razor brands or models were you stropping on that? I use TIs and Bökers mainly.

Thanks,
Coffee Addict

I don’t use paste much anymore but I’ve used the herald black crayon on denim before and it worked fine.
Only one way to find out it something like that will work for ya!

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I used a chromium oxide crayon on cotton long ago but lost both the pencil and cotton strop.

What razor brands or models were you stropping on that? I use TIs and Bökers mainly.

Thanks,
Coffee Addict
I was stropping my first traditional SR on the pasted denim. That blade was a high carbon steel 6/8, Dutch point, half+ hollow grind with a hardness of about 59 RHC.

Denim will work as a paddle, but I prefer a hanging strop for razors. For a hanging strop, Canvas or Sail Cloth, (Polyester Canvas), or Pellon are much better substrates for paste. All 3, can be cut and edges will not fray like Denim.

Or 2-inch nylon or cotton webbing from any fabric store will work.

Mix a small amount of power with a few drops of oil, any mineral oil will work.

Paint on 3- inch Xs with your finger about ½ inch wide. The trick to Chromium Oxide is to not over apply, you do not need much, a teaspoon is plenty, and a pasted strop will last years.

Chrome Oxide will make an 8k edge very keen and comfortable and can be stropped on daily, though once a week or so will keep you shaving for a long time.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Just curious. How long would a denim with crox paste keep an edge refreshed usually?
That depends on a lot of factors, like;
  • Your stropping technique
  • The blade's steel
  • Your shaving technique
  • How many passes you do per shave
  • Your whisker type
  • What you consider an acceptable edge
  • Etc.
To answer your question, a couple to a few hundred shaves.

I used to use 0.5u diamond paste on denim in my early months of razor honing. In particular I cut a strip from the very bottom of a pair of Levis, including the hemmed edge. Then I punched a hole in the denim just inside of the hem. I would then hook the hole over a kitchen cabinet handle and use it as a hanging strop. The hem ensured that the hole wouldn’t tear out even if I pulled on the other end pretty hard. Worked pretty decently. I’ve gone to pasted balsa for my razors, but I still have the denim strop and occasionally use it on kitchen knives as the finisher.

Top Bottom