What's new

Chromium oxide help.

Hi, the majority of videos I've seen that discuss stropping with a paste recommend .5 micron chromium oxide as a dressing.
In the demonstration they typically use a .5 micron "crayon". Why is it virtually impossible to find a .5 micron chromium oxide crayon if so many people are using them? Does anyone reading this have a source for these crayons? I'm at the point of buying the powder, melting beeswax and making my own, although I'd rather not do that. The 4 sided paddle strop with a progression of pastes or sprays looks good too. Since I'm new to stropping/honing, a lot of things "look good", but I have no idea if they are. I have a 1k/6k king stone, and I'm planning on an 8k and 12k shapton pro and these pastes. Thanks

Turns out I'm answering my own question here. If anybody is interested, I just found one source, "Lee Valley Tools". .5 micron green Veritas chromium oxide Honing Compound. They say it's the consistency of a "crayola crayon" and spreads nicely on a strop. However, if anybody has another vendor I'd like to have choices.

Most any well stocked highway truck stop will have a good supply of polishing compound crayons.....white, green, red, black, brown or blue.

There is a seller on Etsy...Im pretty sure his green is 0.5 micron. He ships from UK and shipping is pretty reasonable.

Top Bottom