What's new

Chrome plating worn away on Zamak base plate?

I put a fresh blade in my German 37 razor today and on the bottom base plate where the handle comes in contact with the blase plate, i noticed what seems to look like exposed copper under the chrome plating. I read when the chrome finish is worn away on a Zamak razor that it will start to disintegrate. The razors only about 3 months old, is this a sign the razor will fall apart soon?

IMAG2803.jpg

Are you sure that is plating loss? If it really is, you can get a silicone or rubber O ring to put around the post in that area to prevent the handle from damaging it further. You might also want to contact IB to see if they will send you a replacement. One good thing is that if it really is plating loss and things go downhill fast, a new head is only around $12.

My Merkur Slant also has a place where the plating is flaking, it doesn't show when the razor is assembled but it is happening none the less. Shaver still works as designed but is just one of the disadvantages of "pot metal". At least these days you can get better quality if you want, like stainless, but it will cost you. The choice is yours.

I wouldnt worry to much about it, just use it as it was intended, and enjoy. The whole zamak thing is blown out of proportion.

I wish my two Maggard V1 heads new that, the base plate corroded on one and the threads on the other stripped out. :c17:

That copper is the first plating, nickle is plated on top of the copper. Your zamak is still protected by the copper. Unless it starts pitting and turning black, you should be ok.

My Merkur Slant also has a place where the plating is flaking, it doesn't show when the razor is assembled but it is happening none the less. Shaver still works as designed but is just one of the disadvantages of "pot metal". At least these days you can get better quality if you want, like stainless, but it will cost you. The choice is yours.

Or you can go with a vintage Gillette. Most of them are solid brass, won't ever corrode, and are cheap to boot.

Are you sure that is plating loss? If it really is, you can get a silicone or rubber O ring to put around the post in that area to prevent the handle from damaging it further. You might also want to contact IB to see if they will send you a replacement. One good thing is that if it really is plating loss and things go downhill fast, a new head is only around $12.

Yeah pretty sure, since it wasnt like that when i first got it, im careful not to over tighten the handle also so im surprised to see any plating loss in that area. Maybe the stainless steel handle it comes with is too harsh on it? Thats a good idea ill have to find a thin O ring in the right size.

Is it flaking on the top cap where the blade alignment area touches? I think mine has a spec or two of copper showing in that area. I wish there was an exact stainless steel version of the German 37, i would gladly shell out for it, but one doesnt seem to exist.

I wish my two Maggard V1 heads new that, the base plate corroded on one and the threads on the other stripped out. :c17:

On the one the base plated corroded was it in the area the handle comes in contact with?

That copper is the first plating, nickle is plated on top of the copper. Your zamak is still protected by the copper. Unless it starts pitting and turning black, you should be ok.

Ah thats good hear hopefully that copper layer is thick since it seems the handle already wore through the nickle and chrome layer. Hopefully adding a O ring to the handle and putting some mineral oil on it will help it last to at least a year or two.

On the one the base plated corroded was it in the area the handle comes in contact with?

No, it was in one of the holes where the placement pin goes in. I think the plating was thinner there, it was a little off color in that spot. The plating started bubbling, when it flaked off I dumped it.

Top Bottom