What's new

Chrome plated Zamak

I recently bought a Mujle R41 then learned from recent posts that it is made with Zamak (as are many razors) and is chrome plated. I was curious to know how much of a problem this is and emailed Muhle. For what it's worth, here are some things they said:

1. The razor is made of zamak. We barely have any complaints regarding the chrome wearing off on one of our razors. It is unlikely when regularly using the product
2. Chrome is very hard and not flexible at all. If you drop the razor the chrome coating will possibly get damaged. If this is the case, the zamak can deteriorate eventually. If you handle the razor with care it can last for many years, even a lifetime.
3. With regard to where the head meets the handle Muhle said "chrome doesn’t wear off much there".
4. With regard to the threaded pin, Mule said "the pin is made of brass. Zamak would be too soft and the thread would wear off quickly. I don’t expect the pin to deteriorate as it‘s not exposed to soap and water plus it’s continuously in use."

So it sounds like if you don't drop it, the razor should last a lifetime. There are a lot of products besides razors, that can be damaged, if you drop them. I dropped my R41 in the sink a couple of weeks ago, due to soap on my hand and I have found no chrome damage, whatsoever.

smu

Their cost is such that even if something did happen to it, the expense of a replacement head is quite reasonable. I would agree that with ordinary use they will provide more than sufficient service life.

Zamak gets a bad rap but honestly, as long as you dont drop it and dont shave in the shower where the razor is wet all the time, you'll be fine.
Honestly, the weak like on Muhles is the post. They have a reputation for snapping off if you drop them.

I have never damaged or broken a razor yet and now that I started using the R41, I don't want to use anything else.

I wouldn't want to drop any razor, even one made of stainless steel. I just handle my Edwin Jagger slowly and carefully, and I don't place it anywhere from where it can fall. After I use it I take it apart, remove the blade, rinse it, and towel-dry it before hanging it back on its rack. The threads even get an occasional drop of oil. I expect it to outlive me.
Oh, and if your razor has a screw-on head, be gentle and careful when you start attaching it to the handle. Make sure you're not cross-threading it before you continue to turn that handle. I'd bet that's why people complain about those threads wearing out prematurely.

Last edited:
With proper care a good Zamak razor can last many decades!

(And there are differences in the quality of both Zamak and the coatings.)

No issues outside of those ripping on it here. I raced bmx as a kid and my bike was made of (chromoly) which is the equivalent of pot metal without issues.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I've had my Edwin Jagger DE3D14 a few years now, and it's holding up great. Even if something disastrous did happen, I can get a complete replacement head for £13.50, or just a replacement cap for £7.50, and they even chuck a pack of blades in too.

ditto on the cost issues. the reason my den isn't filled with all stainless or all brass razors is a financial one. Zamak fits in nicely with my budget for modern razors. That being said, you can pick up a lot of vintage razors for the same price as a new zamak razor. I bought a single ring for $10 that was already over 100 years old when I bought it and will probably last another 100 years.

M

member 119848

Thank you for sharing @smu,

The zamak used by Mühle meets strict regulated industry standards. That´s why I don´t like seeing the term ˋpot metal´ often refered in the forums to describe what the R41 is made of.
Mühle, like Edwin Jagger, make very well made zamak chrome–plated razors that should last a lifetime when properly taken care of.

Tip: I let my razor dry thouroughly after each shave, before assembling the parts back together. It doesn´t matter if it´s chrome or stainless, humidity tends to be destructive.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
For the five time in five (?) years, my Ed Jagger razor took and unintended quick trip to the floor. Never done that before, and not entirely sure how it happened today...

The net result is... nothing happened. No chips, no scratches, no falling into a bazillion pieces. Now I might just have been lucky how it landed, and I would certainly encourage people to avoid these things happening, but not every mishap is fated for disaster. Yes, they are brittle materials, but they're not porcelain.

Care should be taken, but these are items intended to be used, and many people do use them each and every day. Even if the worst did happen, I do have a couple of spare razors, so I can keep on shaving while the issue gets fixed.

I’ve also never had a problem with zamak razors. Muhle has a nice chrome finish and should protect the razor material for quite a long time unless you drop or otherwise damage the razor.

If you are worried about it, there are lots of razor offerings with better build materials out there like vintage Gillettes, fatips, modern SS razors or even brass like the karve.

I don't have a problem with zamak razors either. They can last for years or even decades. But a lot of times they don't.

for me I prefer brass or stainless razors that I don't have to worry about.

In principle Zamak is as good as its plating; chrome is more stainless than stainless steel ever will be and even if something might go wrong it is not too expensive to replace.

I have some zinc alloy (unbranded) razors of 60 or 70 years old with poor plating but even those are holding up well enough so it is not that they fall apart right away after you damage your plating.

I don’t complain about the expense of my (virtually indestructible) stainless razor as I purchased it used, it’s quite heavy (which I like), and I’m content to own a single razor . . . but that’s no fun for many people.

M

member 119848

I still want to share more thoughts Zamak. I have put a lot of thinking into the subject for the last couple of years. And still do.
What bothers me a bit is that it doesn´t last forever. For that matter I bought a $250+ high-end razor made of stainless steel, the main reason being that the built quality felt more reassuring.
But after some time using this high-end razor, I bought an R41 to give it a try. And the R41 became my favorite razor.
I am pretty confident to assert, that chrome-plated zamak has a more psychological impact on us, than having real usage issues.

I still want to share more thoughts Zamak. I have put a lot of thinking into the subject for the last couple of years. And still do.
What bothers me a bit is that it doesn´t last forever. For that matter I bought a $250+ high-end razor made of stainless steel, the main reason being that the built quality felt more reassuring.
But after some time using this high-end razor, I bought an R41 to give it a try. And the R41 became my favorite razor.
I am pretty confident to assert, that chrome-plated zamak has a more psychological impact on us, than having real usage issues.
Fabi, you've just said a cotton-pickin' mouthful. I probably applies to 90% of the things we buy.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
@Fabi Totally agree! I reckon that even if I do have to replace a head or two along the way, my Jagger will still be giving me great shaves right up to the day I can't shave anymore, and will still have cost me less than that price in replacement parts when that day comes.

Top Bottom