What's new

Christmas trees

Normally we buy a 10’ Doug fir on the hoof, wrap it up with a length of rope, saw it down and haul it home. This year our backyard deodar cedar (25’+) split to its base, so the remaining top will be brought down, cut to length, and clipped to the approximate shape. I just have to get it down from there! I’m waiting for the winds to die down...

B49D21B6-513F-44BE-942B-01B65F235BD7.jpeg

I'm terrible at phone pictures. 9-10 foot white pine from a tree farm. They cut it, you drive it home. It was an FFA project for a student many years ago. $15 a tree. This is our thinnest and best shaped tree but it won't hold the usual amount of ornaments. You can't see the 10 inches of snow on the deck.
tree.jpg

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Normally we buy a 10’ Doug fir on the hoof, wrap it up with a length of rope, saw it down and haul it home. This year our backyard deodar cedar (25’+) split to its base, so the remaining top will be brought down, cut to length, and clipped to the approximate shape. I just have to get it down from there! I’m waiting for the winds to die down...

View attachment 933875
Ok you win!

View attachment 933875

From before childhood into the early 1970s, cedar trees were the Christmas tree in common use here. Smelled nice; dried out horribly, and the dried needles would get everywhere. You could set them in a waste basket filled with dirt and keep it moist, and it would still dry out. Terrible fire hazard, that. And those old, large, bulbs would get hot enough to melt tinsel. Then there was a "cool" bulb, that was only cool in comparison.

We ended up getting an artificial tree, and that's what we used from then on out. That's what my wife and I have always used. From the degree of shedding, we may be due for another one.

BTW, we don't know when he did it, but by the bent limbs the cat has been up in the tree. Maybe that'll do him for this year.

From before childhood into the early 1970s, cedar trees were the Christmas tree in common use here. Smelled nice; dried out horribly, and the dried needles would get everywhere. You could set them in a waste basket filled with dirt and keep it moist, and it would still dry out. Terrible fire hazard, that. And those old, large, bulbs would get hot enough to melt tinsel. Then there was a "cool" bulb, that was only cool in comparison.

We ended up getting an artificial tree, and that's what we used from then on out. That's what my wife and I have always used. From the degree of shedding, we may be due for another one.

BTW, we don't know when he did it, but by the bent limbs the cat has been up in the tree. Maybe that'll do him for this year.

Thanks for the heads up on cedar Christmas trees. New to me! I was already expecting a series of disasters with this deodar cedar plan. I’ll add dry needles (they are VERY sharp) getting everywhere to the list.

It’s great to see all these trees. Ours won’t come down from the sky and then go up in the living room until next weekend. Even that late there will still be plenty of time for it to dry out and shed!

We have three this year. Foyer, living room, and dining room.

Attachments

• 8E2B5F76-286D-41BB-8CA7-D6DCBA09C701.jpeg
    8E2B5F76-286D-41BB-8CA7-D6DCBA09C701.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
  • 7BD11324-E610-48BD-9057-9B47CEFC9D4C.jpeg
    7BD11324-E610-48BD-9057-9B47CEFC9D4C.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
  • 9E0FB242-FBB3-46AD-A7DB-F896D6C30AD1.jpeg
    9E0FB242-FBB3-46AD-A7DB-F896D6C30AD1.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
I wanted to do two trees. We have one in the living room but I wanted to do a kid's tree in the den with a fake tree. The living room faces away from the road but the den faces the road coming down the mountain.
I've been putting lights on a volunteer scrub pine in one of the rock gardens but it has gotten too tall so just rope lights on the deck this year.

Thanks for the heads up on cedar Christmas trees. New to me! I was already expecting a series of disasters with this deodar cedar plan. I’ll add dry needles (they are VERY sharp) getting everywhere to the list.

It’s great to see all these trees. Ours won’t come down from the sky and then go up in the living room until next weekend. Even that late there will still be plenty of time for it to dry out and shed!

The cedar trees we used were juniperus virginiana, which is common here. Smaller cedars have that classic conical shape. But they are a pain. I don't remember it, but I'm told one year we had two Christmas trees because the first went up earlier than usual, and was dangerously dry well before Christmas. Since back then folks didn't up up their trees until well in December, usually sometime after December 14 or so, that wasn't very long. While I remember the cedar trees, the only ones I can tie down to a specific date was an artificial tree, and that was a week or two weeks prior to Christmas, the latter with an artificial tree. We'd try to take it down well before New Years'.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Mine's pretty scrawny this year. That's what comes from finding it in the woods behind my aunt's house. No tree farms around here.

FB_IMG_15446438733034672.jpg

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
It's always a fake tree for us, as we all have allergies and prefer to enjoy the Holidays without a sinus infection. :a1:

20181213_040528.jpg

My wife and I had real trees for a couple years after we got married. We gave up on real when we moved to south Fla for 3 years in the mid 1970's and have had artificial since. Fla trees were dead before you got them home. I wouldn't bother if it was up to me, but my wife still puts an artificial tree up. Our two daughters may see it once, but our granddaughters and great-grandson are living out of State. Most enjoyment I get from a Christmas tree are stories from one daughter who has two cats and puts up a real tree. Her cats love the tree, hide in the tree, but can't stop sneezing.

Christmas tree and fruitcake, the two things i'd miss if the month disappeared... my wife's birthday is mid-month so the tree doesn't go up and get decorated until that's celebrated, this past weekend and stays up until after 'little' Christmas

Get a fir tree from a nearby nursery that have them hung from the rafters of one of their open greenhouses, can see exactly what you're buying.

Mostly handmade ornaments from local crafters and beyond.

/////////////////////////
file-6_B&Bsize600.jpg

IMG_E2509B&Bsize800.jpg

IMG_E2512_B&Bsize400.jpg
IMG_E2516_B&size400.jpg

///////////////
file-7_B&Bsize600.jpg

//////////////////dave

Is a tree a universal totem everywhere in the world where Christmas is celebrated or is it a product of our hyper-commercialization of the event here in N. America? I did note one Australian poster in the replies so far.
dave

Top Bottom