What's new

Christmas Traditions And Your Family

This evening as I was digging out all the Christmas boxes full of the decorations I came across my very old (you guys know me an vintage stuff) book that I read every year and I got to thinking.

'Tis the season when many folks around the globe prepare for the coming of Christmas. We know that there are many ways, reasons and traditions for which we celebrate this holiday of holidays.

Growing up, in my house it was the well known Christmas tree lite up in all it's glory, Stockings by the chimney, Wreaths draped on the doors, music in the air and of coarse capped off with presents, a feast and cheer on Christmas day.

For as long as I can remember on Christmas Eve before I went to bed, I'd sit in front of the sparkling tree and listen to what is still to this day my favorite Christmas song, Silent Night. I still do the very same thing with my children today.

The other tradition I started some 25 years ago is to gather around the crackling fire and sip homemade eggnog while I read "Twas' The Night Before Christmas" to my children and now to my grandchildren as well.

So what traditions do you folks share each year to celebrate this special time of year?

Christmas Eve watch Bing Crosby’s White Christmas while having Eggnog with Baileys Cream. Same evening we exchange one ornament. I get a classic car ornament from a series, and she gets a Lenox snowflake. Christmas day? Pretty typical stuff, stockings first, followed by presents, breakfast, nap, lunch, nap, dinner, nap.:rolleyes:

For me and my family, Christmas day is a family day of too much food and sleeping in front of the telly.

the tradition starts on Boxing Day, which is the 26th for our American readers. Don't think you celebrate that day? That's the day my Morris team heads off for Gloucester cathedral along with a few other teams and the Gloucester Mummers. Thousands of people come along with us, including the mayor of Gloucester in all his chains of office and we all do our stuff in the cathedral yard.

After that we head off to the Fountain pub for a gigantic afternoon music session.

Out of interest, when you get to see this year's Christmas edition of Dr Who, that was filmed in the cathedral yard!

Gareth

Gareth, I love your sig line quote! I laughed hard when I read it for the first time. Who is Guy Warrack?

Ray, Christmas for me at this stage of my life consists of childhood memories which I absolutely cherish, and a time to reflect and think about what I have, what I've done, and taking the time to be a little more aware of others. For at least a couple of months, I try to make a little more eye contact with strangers, give them a smile they might otherwise not get, and hopefully I can convey to them a sense that times now may be tough, but things are okay. It's hard to be positive when you are assaulted by bad news, but I believe that there is an underlying sense of goodness that keeps us, as humans, afloat. I spend most Christmases alone now; both parents are gone and my siblings have scattered. And since I've rejected the idea promoted by the media now that my spending huge amounts of cash on gifts for others is the ONLY thing that will save the economy in the 4th quarter, it's become a more relaxing time for me.

I will tell you a story about the time my younger sister and I found out there was no Santa Claus. Our family opened presents on Christmas Eve. We lived on a small farm, and for some reason, Santa ALWAYS showed up between the time we finished supper and when we were out in the barn doing evening chores. One year, we were out there and we heard sleigh bells ringing, fading into the distance. Immediately, my little sister and I rushed toward the barn door. My older brother tried to stop us, but he was overrun. As we charged up the small hill toward the house, we could see my older sister running around the back side of the house, sleigh bells in hand. It wasn't a traumatic moment for us, but kind of funny.

Anyway, I've went on and on way too long. However you celebrate this season, I DO wish all of you the best for the holidays!

Don

no real traditions for us. just a massive lunch with waaaay too much food.... and of course a mid afternoon nap!

We have a few traditions. First, is the Jimmy Buffet Album "Christmas Island". Second, is that every year we buy a new silver ornament to add to the tree. Third, decorating the tree. We wind the whole thing up with midnight (or close to midnight depending on my son) mass and then major eating and drinking on Christmas day.

Top Bottom