What's new

Christmas Reflection

So this year for Christmas I wanted to get all the guys in my immediate family some shaving gear. My brother and brother-in-law were both already interested in wet shaving, and my brother, who also happens to be a fellow B&B'er now :w00t:, had already been wet shaving for roughly a month before Christmas. My dad and step-dad, on the other hand, I was a little apprehensive about. I wasn't sure how they'd take it, but it was a risk I was willing to take. Working as a full time volunteer, bang for the buck was of the highest importance. Here's how I convert people :biggrin: :

picture.php

I gifted five of these six razors. The super speed in the back was one I already had in my stable, but I had found a New at a local antique shop for five buck that I couldn't seem to live without. Since the New is such an aggressive shaver, I opted to send the SS to my newbie brother-in-law and keep the New (which I'd been wanting for a while anyway) for myself. Besides, the New looks like it has been to hell and back. It is a good little shaver, but it isn't pretty enough to be given as a Christmas gift.

picture.php

There's the break down. From left to right:

Far left: Dad got a Gillette Ball End Tech (pristine condition), C.O. Bigelow, a red Omega boar, a vintage Old Spice mug I found, and a few blades to try out.

Next, my brother-in-law got a SS in great condition, a Speick stick, a white Omega boar, and a tiny blade sampler.

After that, my step dad got another ball end Tech, also in outstanding condition, a VDH kit, a Speick stick, and a few blades.

Finally, my brother, who had already started wet shaving at the time of receipt of this gift, got a pair of open comb razors that I sourced from a very generous, fellow B&B'er who also included a couple packs of Personnas (thanks a million, Blake (Blackfoot)). He also got some Bigelow cream and a Speick stick. This brother of mine already got a nice Gillette Tech and a solid assortment of creams and AS to sample when he got started. He had voiced to me that he wanted to try some more aggressive razors, so I took note.

So there you have it. That's what I did for Christmas for the guys in my family. Most of them seemed to be pretty happy about it. I think I misjudged my step dad's patience, and I now doubt that he'll actually take the time to try this out. He didn't seem super excited. I can blame Mom, though. She told me it would be a good gift for him. Oh, well. I had a blast shopping for them, and I wanted to show y'all, my fellow B&B members. My brother, user benpayne, is already creeping around the boards a little, and I expect my brother-in-saw to be lurking by now.

It's great to have a place like B&B to point them to that has such an upstanding constituency. Thanks to all of you! Happy New Year!!

Thanks, guys.

I wanted to post this here because I used a lot of advice from some guys over in the brush department here to decide on those Omegas. To this point I've only used a badger brush; a Vulfix super badger at that. I was unsure about getting them boars. I didn't want them to get scared away from wet shaving by a prickly brush. After the Omegas showed up at my place, I promptly cracked them open to evaluate. Those things are actually a lot softer than I had expected, so that should go over well with the family. I think I'm actually planning to pick one up for myself soon. :rolleyes:

Like I said, my brother and brother-in-law are totally on board. I'll let y'all know what my dad and step dad do. I'll be interested to find that out, myself.

Anyone else give shaving gear for Christmas? Anyone else give wet shaving gear to non wet shavers? :001_tongu

Top Bottom