What's new

Christmas gift ideas

My friends and family know I enjoy collecting fragrances, and I’ve become the “go to” guy when they are looking to buy one as a gift. The tricky part is finding the right type of scent for the person at the right price point.

My brother-in-law is looking to find something for a married 27 year old as part of a $75 gift exchange. My first thought is Bentley Intense. For $30/100 ml, you get a niche quality stunner, reminiscent of Lubin Idole parfum, a great scent which runs about $200/bottle. My two oldest boys are about this age and they love L’Occitane Eau des Baux, which combines vanilla, incense and cypress. Others I’d consider are Dunhill Icon, Dolce and Gabanna The One, Mugler Pure Havanne and YSL La Nuit. I’d appreciate any other ideas at that price point.

The second I’m looking for is for a friend for her husband. She is more flexible about price but I’m trying to keep it under $200. I’ve given her a couple options so far:
Bleu de Chanel EdP, which may be the most versatile scent I’ve worn: it is suitable for the office or evening out, at the gym or as a wedding scent.
Montale Patchouli Leaves; a beautiful scent that never fails to get compliments, but much more of an evening fragrance than a work scent.
L’Air du Desert Marocain which may be the best smelling scent I own.
Dior Homme Parfum; stunning but hard to find.
Montale Intense Cafe combines coffee and roses beautifully.
Memoirs of a Trespasser is a great boozy vanilla fragrance.
Christian Dior Leather Oud; I love it but the civet note isn’t for everyone.
I also recently picked up Prada L’Homme which smells fantastic . It reminds me of freshly cleaned laundry, but in a good way, and I think it would make a great work scent.

If price is no object, Amouage Jubilation XXV, Creed Aventus, Creed Royal Mayfair and my wife’s favorite, Domenico Caraceni 1913 are all highly recommended.

Let me know what you would recommend if asked.

I’ve been travelling quite a lot between France and Spain plus a trip to Italy this year. I've been checking out fragrances in those cities during these trips whenever I'm free.

Well if you are collecting fragrances, you should know it's not easy to buy fragrances as gifts. Not only everyone has their own likes and dislikes but the performances and scents are also different on different individuals. Take L'Air du Dessert Morocain for example. It's one of your favourite. I've tried it on my skin 7-8 times so far, trying to love it but I still can't.

I also did very badly when I bought fragrances for my wife. I thought I liked the scents of the fragrances I bought for her but I don't think she likes them. The bottles are still very full.

The list below are my favourites depending of occasions:
Parfums de Marly Herod
Parfums de Marly Delina (ladies perfume I use with woody or leathery fragrances)
Onyrico Iteneris
Acqua Di Parma Leather
Frederic Malle French Lover
Penhaligon’s Endymion (like the scent but it doesn't last long on my skin)
Santa Maria Novella Tabacco Toscano (one of my most favourite scents but doesn't last more than 3 hours on my skin)
Tom Ford Grey Vetiver
Diptyque Tam Dao (I have the EDP but I think EDT should be good to wear to office)
Creed Green Irish Tweed
Nishane Wulong Cha (A nice long lasting summer scent)

There are some I like after trying the samples but still hesitating to get a full bottle:
Parfums de Marly Godolphin
Onyrico MichaelAngelo
Creed Bois du Portugal
Amouage Jubilation XXV
Acqua di Parma Oud
Heeley Sel Marin & Note de Yuzu

Top Bottom