What's new

Christmas Colt: Police Positive Special

Ad Astra

The Instigator
It was good to see family at Christmas, people I haven't seen in a year.

We had traditional food, drinks and good times. I wish I could get away and see these people more, but my job is like "holding a wolf by the ears," to borrow an analogy. I can't even take vacation time I have on the books. Anyways.

Sadly, an elderly family member took a real turn for the worst this year. Dementia and some other complications. Once a very active man, he's, well. No longer mobile and has a poor prognosis.

I was talking to his wife, herself elderly. I helped her with "honeydo" type things around the house, and something odd came up.

"I have to get rid of a gun," she said. "I don't want it in the house. I'll take it to the police and drop it off."

"I can help," I said. I took home a Walmart bag with a pistol and holster.

What do you suppose it was?

full

A classic Colt Police Positive Special, that's what! Though it looks old (to me), they were made for a long time, from the 30s to the 70s. This one dates to 1961, so. Really not old at all, though the lack of ejector shroud makes it seem so.

These were "the policeman's gun," the pistol that every cop on the beat carried in the day; make that, the day before the Wondernines.

What struck me instantly was it's so small. It is the Colt D-frame, which is the same as used on Detective Special, etc. Those larger-than-life, back-in-the-day 1940s-50s-60s cops had to have carried a huge gun. I'm picturing the 1917 .45 S&W, just a large frame revolver - but not so.

The Police Positive Special is essential a snubbie with a 4" barrel … which makes it an ideal "kit gun," to me. It fits in my 2" revolver holsters and gives the hiker (me) a better sight radius and a little more velocity. I will carry it and use it.

full

Now. This one was shot very little, that I can tell. Which fits in with what I know about my elderly family member; he really wasn't a gun guy. But he apparently chose this for protection, and it was a good choice.

This specimen, unfortunately, was stored in a leather holster for decades … I am guessing. There was rust speckle, a couple spots under the grips, one side of the hammer, and some deep pitting on the front/left of the barrel. I've killed all the active rust, and am trying to touch up the Colt Royal Blue, one of the nicest finishes on Earth. Don't be too critical; I'll match it eventually. I just wanted to get some blue on it.

full

Naturally, I had to shoot it! So I ran a hundred rounds through yesterday.

full

Lockwork timing was fine, could see no reason not to. Trigger return spring hung on first shot or two, then worked normally. All that Ballistol must be creeping in.

full

It shoots great. The pinwheel was a first shot, which made me howl. Pulled two others, though.

So now I have a family heirloom, which makes me ponder. I hope I don't go to any funerals this year, but I might.

This man never fired this gun in anger, but it did serve to keep his family safe for decades. I am sure it provided peace of mind when things went bump in the night.

Police, too, confronted danger - successfully - with this gun for decades. In my opinion, they, too, were well armed.

Comments are welcome: Colts, Police Positive, Pinaud Eau de Portugal, that cool new Goodwill razor with the black ED handle …

AA

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Neat. I've been wanting to pick up a PPS. The D frame is a great carry size.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Neat. I've been wanting to pick up a PPS. The D frame is a great carry size.

Mike, thanks. This one is "Third Issue," the front sight is ramped... And I have noticed it's a great carry. Light, and that 4" bbl does tuck.

AA

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
One of my regular carry guns is a Police Positive from 1926 but mine is in 38S&W not Special. Here it is in a Bucheimer B-4 Perfect Fit with a Bucheimer Dump Pouch.

proxy.php

And for size reference here it is below a S&W M19:
M-19-&-Police-Positive-640.gif

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
One of my regular carry guns is a Police Positive from 1926 but mine is in 38S&W not Special. Here it is in a Bucheimer B-4 Perfect Fit with a Bucheimer Dump Pouch.

proxy.php

And for size reference here it is below a S&W M19:
View attachment 940376

Ok, now I can see the second image ... Jayzuz; when does a K-frame dwarf another pistol like that? The Model 19 looks yuuuge. And they are not. N-frame, maybe.

AA

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
What a gorgeous Colt, A.A. ... well done!
Did you happen to lift the sideplate?
I picked up a .32-20 Army Special & this is how she looked after nearly 90-years under wraps.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
What a gorgeous Colt, A.A. ... well done!
Did you happen to lift the sideplate?
I picked up a .32-20 Army Special & this is how she looked after nearly 90-years under wraps.

Thanks!

Yikes! No!

I only pulled the grips ... Which impressed me by being serial numbered to the gun, with pencil.

The screws are unbuggered... I hesitate to pull a virgin side plate. Your gun is twice as old, but. It's a good thing you looked! Rust is the devil!

AA

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Ok, now I can see the second image ... Jayzuz; when does a K-frame dwarf another pistol like that? The Model 19 looks yuuuge. And they are not. N-frame, maybe.

AA
Here is a 1919 made Colt Army Special that is similar to Smith's "K" frames with the Colt "D" frame Police Positive.

proxy.php

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
Thanks!

Yikes! No!

I only pulled the grips ... Which impressed me by being serial numbered to the gun, with pencil.

The screws are unbuggered... I hesitate to pull a virgin side plate. Your gun is twice as old, but. It's a good thing you looked! Rust is the devil!
AA
Much to my delight, the rust actually turned out to be dried-out, residual (original?) lube that wiped off with a wee bit of solvent. And yes, those penciled grips are something, eh?

Reminds me of the old TV show Dragnet. Detective Friday used a S&W snub 10.
proxy.php

His partner used what appears to be a S&W model 15.

proxy.php

Top Bottom