What's new

Christmas cards

A pet peeve of mine -- receiving a Christmas card from someone you haven't heard from since last year and they just sign their names, "Steve and Karen". No handwritten note updating how they are and any news worth sharing. I mean, why bother sending a card just to sign your name!? We always try to include a short note -- handwritten -- with each card. Though I admit our list of people we send cards to is getting shorter each year. Sign of the times I guess.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Seeing how yesterday, December 7th, was National Letter Writing Day, I hope some of you used your fountain pens and actually wrote to someone.

I know I did.

A pet peeve of mine -- receiving a Christmas card from someone you haven't heard from since last year and they just sign their names, "Steve and Karen". No handwritten note updating how they are and any news worth sharing. I mean, why bother sending a card just to sign your name!? We always try to include a short note -- handwritten -- with each card. Though I admit our list of people we send cards to is getting shorter each year. Sign of the times I guess.

would you prefer no cards from those people? For me... it’s “an effort was made” kinda thing. Generally not one I make. I’ve gotten better about sending a card out over the years, but my missives tend to be a more perfunctory, “hope y’all are well and good, blah, blah, blah...”. The people that matter? That’s calls, texts, emails.... real exchanges over some medium. Sometimes a card.

but I’ve never been much of one for casual cultural niceties.

I just really enjoy receiving Christmas cards and considering the effort it now takes to send out physical mail as compared to sending a message through our phones and social media its makes it that much more special. I would also say if you are interested in sending and receiving Christmas cards don't forget to check out the Annual Christmas Card exchange thread. Even though my wife thinks its a little strange to send and receive cards from strangers its very fun and she asks me every year if I'm going to sign up because she enjoys seeing the cards as well.

"Money's tight
And times are hard;
Here's your #$%^@#(
Christmas card."

Okay, so I never did that verse. But once I sent off a late card, and made one on the computer for the occasion. Had a graphic of an irritated Santa stuck in a chimney as a reindeer laughed, and put the caption under it "They say Christmas isn't over until you get your last card." On the inside I put "Now it's over. (Hope you had a Merry Christmas, anyway)."

Most people can't read my typing, much less my handwriting. I wouldn't know what to say "H4nk went down front at the Baptist Church again this year. It seems gambling and meth doesn't mix well. Luckily we have always wanted to remodel that bathroom. ". It sure beats "We were boring again this year".

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Most people can't read my typing, much less my handwriting. I wouldn't know what to say "H4nk went down front at the Baptist Church again this year. It seems gambling and meth doesn't mix well. Luckily we have always wanted to remodel that bathroom. ". It sure beats "We were boring again this year".
:jump:

I think I’m going to go with “We were boring again this year.” It’s better than “John blew our life savings on fountain pens this year.”

Top Bottom