What's new

Christmas Cards?

I worked for a company where everybody sent cards to fellow executives - even if they did not know him or her. The first year I was there we received 300 cards - and I knew at most 50 of the folks who sent them. We had one character who was a rebel.

J.P.C. would send cards - using the cards he received the prior year. He would cross out the name of the individual who sent the card and sign his own name. Then he would send the card to an individual. Another incident involving J.P. He worked in a regional office. One year after having too much to drink on St. Patrick's Day, he bought a tombstone and had his name engraved on it. He was promoted to the Executive Office and during his move he packed up his tombstone. When the expense division saw his moving costs they questioned why the extraordinary expense. It turned out to be his 8' high tombstone!

Five years ago we would receive 50 cards from friends and relatives. Each year the number decreases. This year we are down to 12 after sending out 40 cards. I told my wife next year we will send cards only to those who sent cards to us this year.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Years back we would have the corporate Christmas party and then the “office” party. Our vendors would invite us to their parties too. Between Thanksgiving and Christmas, it was nonstop! Then we had the secret Santa, and we would decorate the office.

Nowadays, it’s virtually all gone, along with the standing room only Christmas service at church. It’s a sign of the times I guess. I realize that there’s no stopping society and changing cultures and beliefs, but it’s been a real tsunami of change in my lifetime.
"Tsunami of change." That about sums it up for this old man as well.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I worked for a company where everybody sent cards to fellow executives - even if they did not know him or her. The first year I was there we received 300 cards - and I knew at most 50 of the folks who sent them. We had one character who was a rebel.

J.P.C. would send cards - using the cards he received the prior year. He would cross out the name of the individual who sent the card and sign his own name. Then he would send the card to an individual. Another incident involving J.P. He worked in a regional office. One year after having too much to drink on St. Patrick's Day, he bought a tombstone and had his name engraved on it. He was promoted to the Executive Office and during his move he packed up his tombstone. When the expense division saw his moving costs they questioned why the extraordinary expense. It turned out to be his 8' high tombstone!

Five years ago we would receive 50 cards from friends and relatives. Each year the number decreases. This year we are down to 12 after sending out 40 cards. I told my wife next year we will send cards only to those who sent cards to us this year.
I think I'd like Mr. JP.

I have some old friends that I never get to see so I like getting the family photo card they send every year. Other than that I only get cards from my family. I send out presents but no cards. Finding a good card is a chore and I never know what to write in it except Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Years back we would have the corporate Christmas party and then the “office” party. Our vendors would invite us to their parties too. Between Thanksgiving and Christmas, it was nonstop! Then we had the secret Santa, and we would decorate the office.

Nowadays, it’s virtually all gone, along with the standing room only Christmas service at church. It’s a sign of the times I guess. I realize that there’s no stopping society and changing cultures and beliefs, but it’s been a real tsunami of change in my lifetime.
We are becoming a more isolated people. Most don’t even know their neighbors any more. People are only thinking of themselves. Take away community, and you can take away things that are good for the community.

Top Bottom