What's new

Christian Dior Jules

Each morning as I get ready to go to the gym with my wife, I usually put one spray on the back of my hand of some fragrance that I want to test for the couple of hours I have until I get home and shower. And before you all get excited and start calling me ugly names, like "the gym cologne guy" who reeks of cologne that gets worse with a little physical exertion, I'm (usually :blushing:) very careful to not overdo it.

This morning I sprayed a shot of Dior Jules on one wrist. In the car on the way to the gym, my wife said "that smells like one of those perfumes that old ladies spray in nursing homes to cover up the smell of urine." I'm not always sure what my wife means, but I'm pretty sure that was a thumbs down on Jules. But I had to agree, and my response was "and this comes with it's own urine smell".

My other thought was, Jules reminds me of Guerlain Jicky. So now I'm sure I'm gonna get flamed by all of you Jicky and Jules lovers, because, of course, YMMV!

Jules is primordial! it is very funky to my nose. Randy, do you dislike Jicky and/or Mouchoir de Monsieur? Those two are a lot of fun to me, an interesting work on lavender/vanilla/civet, marketed (or perhaps worn as) a high society fragrance.

My new goal is to turn you into a civet fanatic... **goes directly down to lab**

LOL... Good luck on that one. If there's one note I cannot tolerate in a frag, it's civet... I just can't even comprehend how this smells desirable. I could POSSIBLY see it thrown into a mix at an undetectable level to add some depth, but on the whole, I'd rather do without. Just yuck!

Jules is primordial! it is very funky to my nose. Randy, do you dislike Jicky and/or Mouchoir de Monsieur? Those two are a lot of fun to me, an interesting work on lavender/vanilla/civet, marketed (or perhaps worn as) a high society fragrance.

Dislike is too strong, Josh, and not really in the right feeling category, if that makes sense. I don't dislike any of these scents. But in another thread recently we were discussing scents that you like, but don't want to smell like, and these would fall into that category for me, for the specific reason that while I think they are very interesting, even fascinating, they aren't ones that I want to smell like. And it's not the civet alone, as I like other scents that have civet or other animalic notes that some have problems with, I think the very old feel, high society fragrance as you put it so well, is what keeps me from wanting to wear them. But I like having them around so I can smell them from time to time.

Mmmm! I love JULES! Where else can you find a funky leather chypre? Sure, you can funky chypre, funky leather, leather chypre, but I've yet to find all three in one fragrance except for Jules. The civet in Jules is very well done, though, unlike a few fragrances I've tried (ahem, Kouros). To me everything balances and the urine note is barely detectable as urine and more like animal, then complimented with a touch of leather (suede is perhaps more like it). Oh, man! Jules is a masterpiece and perhaps one of Dior's best creations! But if you don't wear it, that means there's just more for me!

Honestly, I think on some people, the civet notes amp differently. I cannot for the life of me wear Kouros and perhaps you and others can't wear Jules for the same reason.

Now, has anyone tried Agonist: The Infidel? Golden showers from heaven! and I may have just permanently ruined any credibility I have here...!

Last edited:
That's interesting. Kouros is actually one that I can pull off and get past the civet. That said, I do prefer Kouros Fraicheur where the frag is very true to the original, but the civet is all but non existent.

In fairness, I won't knock Jules/Jicky/MdM before I try them, but they probably won't be at the top of my priority list.

Jules is a beast, but the civet isn't the focus and it doesn't play a major role, it's mostly there to balance the leather, which is one of the more dominant notes.

I will yield to my review back when I owned it

Top: albanum, artemesia, bergamot oil, cumin, green notes, laurel, lavender and wormwood
Middle: black pepper, carnation, cedarwood, sandalwood, rose and jasmine
Base: amber, oakmoss, tonka bean, olibanum, musk, fir, Russian leather and castoreum.

Not worth the exorbitant prices on ebay, but this is an excellent fragrance. Jules opens with a spicy herbal blast very similar to Santos Concentree (Cartier - 1982) but as it dries down it differs greatly. The drydown is very smooth and the more prominent notes are the leather, oakmoss and fir, some cumin, wormwood and sandalwood are left over from the opening.

Jules is not as dark a scent as Santos Concentree, but it's in the same vein. The dryodown is slightly sweet and very green and masculine.

My new goal is to turn you into a civet fanatic... **goes directly down to lab**

Welcome to the dark side

Top Bottom