What's new

Chosera Stone questions

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Hey gents,

I have been trying my hand at honing a few razors when I ran across an old thread called "The Key" @Seraphim , that made me realize 90% of my problems were related to my crappy Sharp Pebble 1000/400 stone. I have never been able to get a razor to shave off the bevel.

Since I like stones, my thoughts are to replace it with a chosera stone.

And yes, I have tried lapping film, it works.
And I am not taking DMT's off the table either.

But I have been sharpening knives on stones all of my life and want to stick with stones. I already have all of the finishing stones I need, but they are obviously worthless until I get a decent bevel setter.

So my question would be which chosera stone and why is it the best choice?

prof

You're probably going to get a 1k Chosera (now called Pro) at some time anyway, just to see why they are so popular. You may as well get it now.

I say the 1k and may as well get the 600. If.you do knives it's a great stone for that. As well as for chips other heavy work. I love my 600. I don't use it that often but I'm really glad I have it

Naniwa SS 1k is a great bevel setter. A King 1k works ok also.
I usually go to a Naniwa SS 3k or BBW after that.
Recently got a Naniwa Big Green Brick Aotoshi which is about 2k. Haven't used it much yet. May prove to be a decent stone. Seems to work well on my Tojiro ITK kitchen blades.

"best" is hard to quantify. The Choseras are now called 'Professional' stones. C1k is now P1k. Essentially the same stone, I think they no longer come with the red rubbing stone, and they are less thick now also. The reduction in thickness was, I think, done to combat the problems of cracking/crazing that a lot of people had to deal with.

The P1k would win the 'popular' vote. Many people that bought/use one haven't tried the bookend grits.
The P800 is a very close contender with a slight increase in speed and a bit less of the 'hard' feeling.
The P2k is a strange duck, but some like it.

What is best, is what you like, and if you are setting bevels on Ebay blades or shelf queens full hollows that only need the bevel to be redressed a bit. If I was going to get back into Chosera/Pro stones, I might consider the 800x over the 1k. I've had both, still have a 1k but I never use it really.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
You're probably going to get a 1k Chosera (now called Pro) at some time anyway, just to see why they are so popular. You may as well get it now.

I ended up getting the 800 Chosera from Amazon, they had the old style that comes with a plastic base and a nagura stone for $73, free shipping. I also decided to get a DMT Duo-Sharp coarse/fine with base, and a stone holder to use with my finishing stones.

Getting the DMT was probably what I needed the most.
I have been wanting a DMT to flatten my stones with, and I put it to good use. Even though I had glued w/d sandpaper to plate glass to lap my stones with, and thought they were flat, the DMT proved otherwise.
I had never been able to shave arm hairs off my Sharp Pebble 400/1000 stone before, and now that it is flat, it even feels different.
Ditto for my Norton 4k/8k combo stone, I even used it on my new black arkie that I had flat lapped and polished and wasn't doing much of anything...

Thanks to all that chimed in, I have a #35 Geneva singer that wants some attention.....
prof
20190831_151102[1].jpg

Top Bottom