What's new

Chosera 600

Hi,
I was going to buy a Shapton 500, but I believe I changed my mind to go with the Chosera 600. I have read that it leaves a finer finish than the SG 500 and is still pretty fast. I did read that Chosera stones are prone to cracking, but not particularly the 600. Is this true? I was also wandering if this is a hard stone? So I see that they sell them with a base an without. The one with the base is cheaper and it comes with a dressing stone. So which of these are the better stone, with or without base.

Its a hard stone. Cuts fast and leaves mellow scratches. I had the original chosera. Ended up giving it to a pal. And then bought the Nani pro version. Both stones were without the base. You can use the side to hone warped blades if you want. Plus without the base it takes up less space.

Its a hard stone. Cuts fast and leaves mellow scratches. I had the original chosera. Ended up giving it to a pal. And then bought the Nani pro version. Both stones were without the base. You can use the side to hone warped blades if you want. Plus without the base it takes up less space.
Yeah the palstiv base is off putting . The only place they sell them is mostly amazon, though it is $10 cheaper than the non-base stone and it comes with a dressing stone.

The plastic base (I had a chosera 1k with the base) has rubber feet that come off after a while. Sure they can be replaced. But I prefer the stone as it is. Takes up less space. Use a stone holder or whatever you want. Block of wood, rubber etc to gain a little height. You won't have to buy another one.

The 600 Pro is a great stone. I used one for a while at a meet and ordered one as soon as I got home. I only use it for repair or setting a bevel on a razor that has never had one, but it is a real pleasure to use. I hate those plastic stands. I doubt that anyone would ever have issues with the 600 checking. It acts a bit different than the finer Chosera/Pro stones in that it is more absorbent and seems to be a more open composition.

Sold my 600x C when I got the 400x C. Any work on either cleans up quickly/easily on the 800x or 1k C, so the finish left by either was not important but the speed of the 400x was the main point of ooncern. If I am dropping under 1k, it's to take off a lot of material and the less time I spend doing it, the better. The 600x was a bit faster than the 800x and 1k, but the 400x was blazing fast. stones. I prefer baseless stones 99.9999% of the time.

Top Bottom