What's new

Chosera 10k - Worth it?

Hey everyone!

As a straight razor shaver and enthusiast, I’ve been grappling with whether or not to get a Chosera 10k. On top of it being insanely expensive, I already have some really nice stones, like my Naniwa Snow White 8k, SS 12k, Nakayama Asagi Koppa, Ozuku, a 1x6” Suehiro 20k and Surgical Black Arkie.

My usual progression is as follows: Chosera 1k, Superstone 5k, Superstone or Snow White 8k, then either 12k and 20k, or some other finisher. All the edges I’ve gotten were keen and smooth. But in restoring some razors and trying out stones, I’m in that rabbit hole! Granted, I don’t need a 10k Chosera. But I enjoy the tactile experience honing gives me and the ability to mix things up.

In addition to those stones, I also have the Shapton Kuromakus (5k-12k, and a 1x6” 30k), a translucent ark, select coticule and small slate stone. I don’t have too many posts here to sell or trade yet, but I may have to thin my herd out!

Given the fact you say you enjoy the experience of honing, and the price of a Chosera 10K, I would say you should get your feet wet in the world of JNats instead. It would offer something more unique/different since you already have a handful of nice synths. Not saying the Chosera 10K is a bad stone, I just don't think you'll find it all that different performance wise than your existing stuff.

Also, a JNat would follow your Shaptons nicely, my typical progression for a razor that needs a full new edge is Shapton Ha No Korumaku 2K, 5K then nagura progression on a natural.

Last edited:
You don't need it in your progression. I had one. It crazed something fierce in a short time. Before that it wasn't a particularly good finisher. I was lucky enough that Mark at cktg gave me 75% credit for it. I bought the 10k suehiro gokumyo instead. I also have the 15 and had the 20 too until a pal talked me into selling it to him. And at the time I think it was like $275? That's a lot of cabbage imo.

Thanks guys! My Nakayama and Ozuku, used with tomo or 1.2k diamond slurry, have given me some of the best finishes out there. But since getting my Snow White 8k, I’ve been experimenting with my synths again.

To get ideas for future honing sessions, I enjoy reading up on Razor Emporium’s vintage restored straights. Some of them, instead of the usual 1k-3k-6k-12k-20k track, were honed on stones like the Chosera 10k, a coti and Shapton 30k, though they don’t list the specific stone order, and Idk if they’re using a glass or pro 30k. That, and reading about the Chosera 10k’s cutting/polishing abilities, got me interested.

In a very general sense, and speaking of very basic edge personality only, and assuming ground-work is 110% on point, Jyunpaku is so very close to the 10k C.
The big fat 10k C is a totally different beast than the 8k Jyunpaku tho...depending on the steel and required/desired edge its assets can be lost in translation though. For cutlery, it's great because it's harder and deals with pressure better; no gouging. In a general sense though, it's kind of an edge-aficionado's stone in a way. I would surmise that a 12k Shapton Pro would suffice in that slot for 90% of the knife sharpeners out there.
Proselytizing..
For razors, the 10k SS might be a consideration, given the 12k SS is in the mix. It has the same sort of feedback that the SS are known for, so it's seamless addition and a nice jumper in between the 8k & 12k SS.

At the same time, the 10k C follows Jyunpaku's feedback better IMO; with more of that 'real stone' sensation as opposed to the 'plastic block' feel I get from the SS series. So there's that. It's a very accurate stone to work with, no give and no forgiveness.
That said, the Superstones are easier to work with in that regard and the 10k SS is very nice and a bit more wallet friendly.

@Gamma Thank you! Also some great advice; I’ve read your posts on other forums here:)

I was fortunately able to find a 10k Chosera hapstone on eBay for $45.81. Thought it’d be a great way to get the same feel and results as a full-sized hone, but for wayyyyy cheaper. I did the same with my Suehiro 20k and Shapton Pro 30k, buying them in the 1x6” format instead of two full-size hones.

As of recently, I’ve been enjoying my shaves from a medium-light slurry on my JNAT’s (coming from the Snow White or SS 12k) and also my Black Ark right after the 20k. All my edges were super-keen and comfortable on my face.

Top Bottom