What's new

Choosing which pipe for which blend type

With my most recent new pipe, the Peterson 606 Arklow pot-bowl, I started out with a tiny bit of the C & D Alpine Lodge that SP threw in as a freebie. I liked it, but it seemed a bit strong for me. Since then, I've smoked a mix of MacBaren Golden Extra and the AL in it, some Half & Half, and I think I have run some of the Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake as well. All of them are at least part VA, so the 606 has seen mostly that. It just fell out that way because of the AL being right there in the wings when I opened the package up on Xmas morning.

If I pick up a Dublin, I will certainly try the VA blends in it. As for a Canadian, something about that shape says to me, "Codger blends, Mac. No fancy stuff. Keep it simple." Again, this is based on esthetics and my imagination, the same imagination that leads me to nickname my pipes.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Why do I keep buying tobacco that doesn't fit my pipe system? :facep:

Last month, it was a lightly topped dark fired blend, which might either leave a light aro hint in my dark blend pipes, or be molested by the ghosts in my aromatic pipes.

Already tucked away in the cellar, are samples of Gawith's Navy Flake, and Bothy Flake. With those, I can choose between either risking leaving a rum/whisky ghost in my English pipes, or a Latakia ghost in my aromatic pipes.

Today... Bob's Chocolate Flake. A chocolate flavoured Lakeland with 8% Latakia (I completely forgot about the Latakia content). So that's not quite Lakeland, not quite aromatic, and not English either. I don't think using my aro pipes is wise for anything with Latakia in. So I could smoke that in my Lakeland pipes, then send the Ennerdale bailiffs in to drive out the Latakia squatters, or risk leaving a hint of Lakeland "sauce" in my Latakia pipes...

Although... I'm just waiting on a smaller Falcon bowl for English blends, so maybe I could sacrifice my original Genoa bowl for these Chimera blends? I think I'd rather risk "tarnishing" the cake in a Lat pipe than an Aro/Lakeland pipe.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Why do I keep buying tobacco that doesn't fit my pipe system? :facep:

Last month, it was a lightly topped dark fired blend, which might either leave a light aro hint in my dark blend pipes, or be molested by the ghosts in my aromatic pipes.

Already tucked away in the cellar, are samples of Gawith's Navy Flake, and Bothy Flake. With those, I can choose between either risking leaving a rum/whisky ghost in my English pipes, or a Latakia ghost in my aromatic pipes.

Today... Bob's Chocolate Flake. A chocolate flavoured Lakeland with 8% Latakia (I completely forgot about the Latakia content). So that's not quite Lakeland, not quite aromatic, and not English either. I don't think using my aro pipes is wise for anything with Latakia in. So I could smoke that in my Lakeland pipes, then send the Ennerdale bailiffs in to drive out the Latakia squatters, or risk leaving a hint of Lakeland "sauce" in my Latakia pipes...

Although... I'm just waiting on a smaller Falcon bowl for English blends, so maybe I could sacrifice my original Genoa bowl for these Chimera blends? I think I'd rather risk "tarnishing" the cake in a Lat pipe than an Aro/Lakeland pipe.
I may be biased here as I'm not a huge Lakeland fan but if I were you I would smoke anything tainted with Lakeland in 1 pipe...even if that blend also had latakia. I like Bob's on occasion, but it gets smoked in a Lakeland cob and no where else. That's just my take though.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I may be biased here as I'm not a huge Lakeland fan but if I were you I would smoke anything tainted with Lakeland in 1 pipe...even if that blend also had latakia. I like Bob's on occasion, but it gets smoked in a Lakeland cob and no where else. That's just my take though.

Yeah, that's pretty much my thinking, except Latakia is to me, what Lakeland is to you. So anything contaminated by the mucky black stuff, needs keeping away from everything else... and only smoked outdoors.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Yeah, that's pretty much my thinking, except Latakia is to me, what Lakeland is to you. So anything contaminated by the mucky black stuff, needs keeping away from everything else... and only smoked outdoors.
Thats fair, I rarely smoke Latakia blends either. I'm definitely more a fan of Latakia then Lakeland though. This might sound a little crazy, alternate it between the Latakia and Lakeland pipes. If it isn't regularly smoked then it is unlikely to ghost either one so long as you clean up after each bowl.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Thats fair, I rarely smoke Latakia blends either. I'm definitely more a fan of Latakia then Lakeland though. This might sound a little crazy, alternate it between the Latakia and Lakeland pipes. If it isn't regularly smoked then it is unlikely to ghost either one so long as you clean up after each bowl.

I think I'll stick them all in one (sacrificial) Falcon bowl. If it all goes horribly awry, it's cheap enough to put right.

I've been using a Genoa bowl for anything with Latakia in, but for anything with more Latakia than Squadron Leader, it's just too much, and I lose interest too quickly. I've got a Bantam Genoa coming to use instead, which will be the shallowest of all my pipes. So that original Genoa, which is already Lat ghosted, is the prime candidate for stuff that's both topped, but also has Latakia in.

Hopefully that short smoke bowl for the Lat blends, will get me back using them again too. I nearly bought some shag tobacco, for short smokes, when out and about. It makes more sense to try to use the English blends for that though. It's already sat there, paid for, doing nothing.

Top Bottom