What's new

Choosing only one of everything

From time-to-time on the forum, I see posts asking “if you could only have one razor for the rest of your life...”, or, “if you were stranded on a desert island with just one shaving setup, what would you choose?”

Well, today I had to pack up my shaving gear for a bathroom remodel (about 20 razors and 15 brushes; lots of creams and soaps, after shaves, etc.), and I found myself selecting. I had to grab something I will use exclusively for the next few weeks. Without much indecision I chose the following:

Razor: Razorock Game Changer 0.84
Brush: Simpson Chubby 2 Super
Blades: Feather Hi-stainless (yellow)
Cream: C. O. Bigelow green
After Shave: Nivea Sensitive Balm

I normally rotate through about half a dozen razors, 3-4 brushes, and many creams/soaps (almost always use Feather blades). These items I selected have provided reliably good shaves for me lately.

It was in interesting exercise for me - thought I’d share.

- Greenhouse

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Interesting - I bet if you had a few days to think it over it would have been much more difficult to make a decision. Perhaps being forced to make such a quick choice has revealed your true favourites. That might be a way for someone, like me, to decide what to keep and what to move on in the event of downsizing a collection; sometimes it is possible to overthink such things.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
It would be very easy: MdC Fougere, Kent BK4, ATT CM1, GSBs, and 4711. There may be something better out there, but I doubt I'll go searching for it. This combination is so satisfying that routine three pass shaves never have anything that would justify a deduction. They are always BBS without really working at it. So it's always a 10.

Interesting - I bet if you had a few days to think it over it would have been much more difficult to make a decision. Perhaps being forced to make such a quick choice has revealed your true favourites. That might be a way for someone, like me, to decide what to keep and what to move on in the event of downsizing a collection; sometimes it is possible to overthink such things.
I think you’re absolutely right - if I had allowed more time, the decision would have been more difficult.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
If I thought I knew or had to answer:

GEM Micromatic Open Comb
Personna PTFE GEM blade
ARKO! shave stick
Maggards 30mm synthetic brush
Ulm Nom homemade aftershave (grain alcohol and menthol)

But I also discovered and rediscovered lots of cute cutting things and am trying to win the heart and mind of a boar brush, so the above is what I know is enjoyable.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
This would be my bathroom remodeling grab and run:

Preshave: OPR Sandalwood shaving soap
Razor: Razorock Lupo SS SB .72
Brush: Semogue Pharos synthetic
Blades: Gillette Silver Blue
Soap : PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum
After Shave: Bootlegger's Bay Rum splash

That would get me through.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Can change in a weeks time, I stayed with the SE theme today. DE razor theme Razorock Lupo.72 tomorrow :a22:.

Razor: Gem Clog Pruf SE (Peerless, 17nib Safety bar)
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE SE
Soap: Razorock "The dead Sea"
Brush: Any Yaqi brush(Yaqi fanboy)
Post shave: Fine fresh Vetiver

Last edited:

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Razor: RazoRock Lupo .72
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Brush: Simpson T2
Soap: TOBS Sandalwood Soap
AS: Prorasso Green Lotion
Frag: Bleu de Chanel EDP (I have a couple of other samples to test but I'm pretty sure I'm about to buy a big bottle of this)
Nice call on the Bleu. It is a terrific scent. My son uses it.

Top Bottom