What's new

choosing new adjustable

Everyone has his preferences when it comes to Slim vs Fatboy and has a hard time to describe the difference. To me that very much proves how very similar the razors are. I have both and I prefer the Slim. Even so I must confess that, to me neither of them play in the same league as the Progress or the Futur or Vision for that matter. The Merkur adjustable razors are true adjustables that are made to be adjusted continually through the shave to accomplish the best possible shave. If you use them that way they are among the best of razors. The Gillette adjustable on the other hand are made to be set on a static setting.

If I'm to chose only one adjustable it has to be the Vision, but to me no razor comes close to the R41, but that's just my preference.
Kind Regards
Polarbeard

+1 for the Progress. I've been playing with a new (to me) Slim. I like how it handles and shaves, but my Progress is the more efficient razor.

The Fatboy is nice, but I always preferred the Slim to it. The Progress is something different. I prefer it to the Gillette razors.

That said, I like the Vision best out of all the adjustables. It just works for me.

There is a reason the Gillette Fatboy commands high prices. It's very close to being a perfect razor. Weight, function, balance and most everything else positive you can say about a razor. it is not like the slim, and shaves completely differently, but does take a little getting used to, as do most razors. If you like vintage, go for the classic Fatboy, you'll never regret it. If you like something more modern, choose the Progress. The best decision however, would be to have both. Skip a few of those executive lunches, and treat yourself to a couple of fine razors that will last a lifetime and more.

Looks like lots of good comments in this thread. My vote for a first adjustable would be a Progress/Mergress with a FatBoy preferred over a Slim (I like the weight of the FatBoy better).

Don't overlook the Vision which is mentioned kind of quietly here. IMO the best adjustable razor ever made even with the nylon bushings and the Zamac castings. The Progress is the most versatile because so many people have made enhancements to it that improve balance, looks and function. Mergress, Digress, Ikon, Bob's Razor Works, have all made after market knob assemblies for the Progress. But the Vision delivers the best shave and is infinitely adjustable in its range. It is an amazing tool, emphasis on tool. Ergonomically perfect in the hand and on the face. Easy to maintain contrary to its reputation. Then again if you like adjustables how can you be without the Slim, Fatboy and Black Beauty for historical, function and duration of materials? Get all 5.

$20141117_162940.jpg
If you like the slim, you should try the short handle black beauty. It's one of my favorite adjustables. I had a mergress, but wasn't a fan of the two piece design.

I think the Slim, Fat Boy and Black Beauty are all great razors. I started with the Slim, then Fat Boy and then snagged a BB and I thought the BB would be the best, but I actually prefer the Fat Boy. It just seems better built, well balanced and shaves better for me. I have a Progress LH as well and that's also a great razor, but I still prefer the Fat Boy.

Well, it's a zamakrazor but blows my fatboy out of the water any given day. Get your self a Apollo Mikron!
Can goes from Techsmooth to really bad *** in just a few clicks.

The Progress doesn't go as high but that doesn't really matter.

Its highest setting is more aggressive than Slims and Fatboys set to 9.

A 7 on a Slim is probably like a 3.5 on a Progress.

+1.

I have a FB and Slim and find them comparable. I have two Mergesses razors (regular and Long handle Progress razors that have been modified) and prefer them over the Slim and FB - but not by much. All are terrific razors but the FB and Slim and better constructed and will last a life time. However, the Mergress gives me a tad better shave.

Top Bottom