What's new

Choosing a Razor

Hello, I'm new here and I have a question about straight razors. my first razor was the Rockwell R1, for me, at that time it was a good razor, however I was robbed and one of the things that was stolen was also the razor, so I started seeing some better razors than the old one and decided to go for the which most recommend, merkur 34c. I ordered from a store and they made a mistake with the razor and sent me a merkur 39c instead of the 34c. My question is, do I keep the 39c or do I return it and ask for the 34c?

I think the slant (the 39C) is the better razor and I'd keep it.
Try it out, you'll probably like it.

Welcome to B&B!
Thanks for your answer, I tried it today, and it felt a little "aggressive" due to the greater exposure of the blade, compared to the Rockwell r1, but as I've never tried the 34c I don't know if it will also have that "aggressiveness"

Hello, I'm new here and I have a question about straight razors. my first razor was the Rockwell R1, for me, at that time it was a good razor, however I was robbed and one of the things that was stolen was also the razor, so I started seeing some better razors than the old one and decided to go for the which most recommend, merkur 34c. I ordered from a store and they made a mistake with the razor and sent me a merkur 39c instead of the 34c. My question is, do I keep the 39c or do I return it and ask for the 34c?
So what was the question about straight razors? Your references were about DE or safety razors unless I missed something.

I'd keep the 39C mister. That's a very good razor, a slant razor that shaves smooth as glass. Use caution though, it is a little aggressive.

As far as the 34C, that was my first double edge razor. But for me it's too mild. Tough to get a close shave with it. I like the 37C and 39C a lot better. Very smooth, close, and efficient shave.
Thank you for your answer , I think I'm gonna trade the 39c for the 37c because I like short handle razors, and in the shop the 37c have the same price as the 34c so I don't have to pay more money

Thank you for your answer , I think I'm gonna trade the 39c for the 37c because I like short handle razors, and in the shop the 37c have the same price as the 34c so I don't have to pay more money
The 37C is an excellent choice. It torques the blade in a position where it cuts the whiskers like a guillotine, which is why it shaves so smooth and efficient. For me, any Gillette double edge blade, Indian or Russian made, works splendidly in the 37C slant razor.

Guess that I am in the minority as I actually prefer the 34C, which for me is a fine razor!

The key point is that you need to try a variety of razors, blades, etc. to determine what works best for yourself. Just my $0.02!
If the 34C works for you, that's great! It is a very good razor. Just too mild for me. A mild shave works fantastic for many gents, others of us, a more aggressive shave works better. Whatever works best for you is the right tool for the job

I like my 37c better than my 34c. I'd hang on to the 39c.

Top Bottom