What's new

Choosing a Razor for a Trip

This issue doesn't apply to those of you who use the same razor every day, as I expect that you would just take along the razor you've been using. Since this trip does not include flying, I have no issue with bringing a safety razor along with me. Currently I choose one of the six razors on my stand as I'm preparing for my shave, based primarily upon what appeals to me at the time. I'll be staying in one place for just over two weeks, and while I suppose that I could bring multiple razors, I like to limit what I take on trips. Also, I'm much more likely to leave a razor behind if I bring more than one.

So how do you choose? Do you take the least aggressive, on the assumption that if you do wind up with some irritation, it would be the easiest and fastest way to get over it? Do you take your favorite, because if you have to use the same razor for 15 or 16 consecutive days you might as well use the one you enjoy most? Do you take the most efficient so that on the day you'll be photographed with your granddaughter on her first birthday you'll have the least shadow on your face?

In case you're interested, these are the razors from which I will choose:
  • Muhle Rocca
  • Edwin Jagger 3one6
  • Yaqi Double Open Comb Slant
  • Fatip Open Comb Slant
  • Fatip Open Comb Grande
  • Edwin Jagger DE89
  • Classic Shaving Enoch
  • Gem MMOC

I use the Edwin Jagger DE89 razor which is usually in my Dopp kit together with a few Rapira Super Stainless blades. I would not anticipate any irritation with any razor but it may be useful to have 2 or 3 spare blades. The DE89 is also a low cost razor which is easy to replace if I left it behind.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have a Chinese fake Tech I put in my checked luggage.

If I'm driving, I take whatever tickles my fancy.

I would ask myself which would cause the least grief if lost or stolen.

One of my criteria is written above :thumbup:

What is your shaving frequency during the trip. If you're a daily shaver no need to take along a Rocca(or EJ3one6) or OC razor. If you are 2-3 days growth shaver I agree.

You can take a look to decent chineese DE razor like Baili 176.

If it is compulsory to pick one of the list (and tottaly forbidden to make anew buy) I'll take EJ89 with a GP or GSB blades.

Currently I have a oneblade core as my travel razor main reason it is an I idiot shave giving brainless results even when the use is of kilter...

And it looks plastics so they are less likely to steal it.

Sturdy razor too.

Drawback..... do not loose chose feather fhs blades impossible to replace.

If my feather blades are finished I might mod it for gems and when those are done replace the razor. Probably takes 5-10 years.

Could also replace for a broman less blade replacement issues (eats allmost any de) and also mild. And is not to expensive looking either.

My Gamechanger.84 SB is my travel razor. It's inexpensive (for a stainless steel razor), efficient enough to get the job done (although never full on BBS for me), but super smooth, so no cuts or irritation while away. I also bring a synthetic brush and shave stick. I have leather cases for razor and brush. If I lose any it traveling, not the end of the world.

I have an advantage on this trip - I will be staying with my son, daughter in law and newest grandchild. So even if I were to leave it behind, it wouldn't be a very big deal. The bathroom is a bit cramped, however, so having it get knocked to the floor is the bigger risk. In response to @Timor1322, I do shave every day, but I also like to use efficient razors.

If I were to go by least expensive, it would be the MMOC, but it's a more challenging razor to use and in a different environment with different lighting, etc., I don't think it's the best choice. The least challenging for me is the Rocca, but while the birch bark handle has never shown any signs of being "delicate", it still looks as if it might be, and I could envision coming back to the bathroom to find it sitting in a puddle of water on the vanity if I don't put it away after each use. I view my 3one6 much like @HabanaRon does his Gamechanger .84 - it's smooth, easy to use and always produces good if not great results. It wasn't that expensive and wouldn't be terribly missed if something happened to it. And so it will be my travel razor this time.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
This issue doesn't apply to those of you who use the same razor every day, as I expect that you would just take along the razor you've been using. Since this trip does not include flying, I have no issue with bringing a safety razor along with me. Currently I choose one of the six razors on my stand as I'm preparing for my shave, based primarily upon what appeals to me at the time. I'll be staying in one place for just over two weeks, and while I suppose that I could bring multiple razors, I like to limit what I take on trips. Also, I'm much more likely to leave a razor behind if I bring more than one.

So how do you choose? Do you take the least aggressive, on the assumption that if you do wind up with some irritation, it would be the easiest and fastest way to get over it? Do you take your favorite, because if you have to use the same razor for 15 or 16 consecutive days you might as well use the one you enjoy most? Do you take the most efficient so that on the day you'll be photographed with your granddaughter on her first birthday you'll have the least shadow on your face?

In case you're interested, these are the razors from which I will choose:
  • Muhle Rocca
  • Edwin Jagger 3one6
  • Yaqi Double Open Comb Slant
  • Fatip Open Comb Slant
  • Fatip Open Comb Grande
  • Edwin Jagger DE89
  • Classic Shaving Enoch
  • Gem MMOC

Of the razors you listed, I would bring the Edwin Jagger DE89.

Nice shaves plus available and modestly priced when you have to replace it.

I have a stash of identical cheap plastic razors for travel. I’m having a senior moment right now, and can’t remember the brand. I want to say they’re Wilkinson Swords, but I could be wrong. The lid hinges on the side.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Given that you are staying with family and driving I’d take 2. Any 2 or at least one that is in your rotation without worrying about it. Have a great trip!

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Take whatever you most enjoy unless it is irreplaceable and either put the blades in carry on or mail them to your destination. Or use Good News.

For car travel I generally pack a black handle flare tip. For airlines I check a cheap modern razor, like a maggard or yaqi

I would take all if I were you...that's me of cors..hahaha..
I am travelling for work today too and will be away for almost 1 month...
I brought as much of my shave gears as I can...hahahaha...
I am driving just like you so no worries about any issues...
It's something I can look forward to every morning while working in these testing times...

Just to throw a curve...
Is the Rocca still the least challenging if you swap on a different handle?
It's funny that I didn't think of doing that myself. The Rocca is the one razor where I have never experimented with other handles. I guess that's because I've always thought that the Rocca head and birch handle paired so perfectly together. Tomorrow I'll give the Rocca a spin with a RazoRock Bulldog handle; it should be a good match. If so, I may take it along on my trip.

Top Bottom