What's new

Choosing a Gillette Tech?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Not modified. It was made like that.
Why would you think that? Have you ever seen another Old Type like that with a narrow base plate and no comb?

ed, Sorry, it's a Gillette New that was cut down.
1590288716757.png

Last edited:
Why would you think that? Have you ever seen another Old Type like that with a narrow base plate and no comb?

ed, Sorry, it's a Gillette New that was cut down.
View attachment 1104109
I thought you were talking about the valet.

If you can swing it, for cleaning those old razors, it’s awfully hard to to beat the results of an ultrasonic cleaner.
Do you have any suggestion for a good inexpensive ultrasonic cleaner? Trying to decide by reading reviews on Amazon is like trying to decide on a razor blade by reading a B&B thread.

Do you have any suggestion for a good inexpensive ultrasonic cleaner? Trying to decide by reading reviews on Amazon is like trying to decide on a razor blade by reading a B&B thread.
I have a cheap o one from harbor freight. IT cost me about 40 bucks after a 20 off coupon. It’s honestly one of those things I can’t suggest you go any higher quality on until you develop a greater need. You’ll likely end up cleaning the wife’s jewelry in it as well. If you get one too high powered I’ve heard it can destroy certain gemstones or gemstones that have damage. The one I have is low powered enough I am not running the risk.

Mine is large enough to clean gun parts and suppressors in, the primary reason I first acquired it. It does a bang up job on razors. There were razors that came in with my eBay lots that I thought were destined for scrap, went into the ultrasonic and they were prize razors of the entire lot. Most specifically an original super speed and a few ball end techs. Just warm water and maybe a splash of dawn.

I also save time making trips to the jewelry for my wife’s jewelry cleaning. Her rings go in plain clean water for 5-7 seconds and come out absolutely brilliant.

Hi folks, I'm a new member and new to wet shaving. I recently purchased a couple of Gillette Techs online, one date code X-2, and the other a WWII US Military issue Gillette Tech. The WWII model appears to have a Bakelite handle. Are the handles on the older X-2 models Bakelite or different type of plastic?

Hi folks, I'm a new member and new to wet shaving. I recently purchased a couple of Gillette Techs online, one date code X-2, and the other a WWII US Military issue Gillette Tech. The WWII model appears to have a Bakelite handle. Are the handles on the older X-2 models Bakelite or different type of plastic?

Bakelite was used as a war time measure because all metals were used for making war machines and bullets. Techs for the most part are all metal. Pre war techs are made of all brass and plated gold or nickel. Bakelite was used during the war. After the war there was a return to brass that was plated.
“Depending on year..brass, aluminum, bakelite, Zamac, plastic. The copper you see on the older ones is a copper plate over brass to make the subsequent gold plating adhere” -from the shave nook.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Welcome Britt20. Great choice to chase vintage Techs! Not sure what plastic the Korean War Techs had for handles but you can get more info from Mr-Razor's epic site, maybe you haven't seen it, here is the Tech section ... mr-razor Tech razors - http://mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Tech/Tech.htm

My preference is for Fat Handle Techs. My favorite Fat Handle Tech is made in England. After that, I prefer Pre-War Fat Handle Techs made in the USA. But what's nice about the Techs, whatever you get I'm pretty certain you're going to love the shave!
Those poor Canadian Techs just feel so left out and unloved.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
My preference is for Fat Handle Techs. My favorite Fat Handle Tech is made in England. After that, I prefer Pre-War Fat Handle Techs made in the USA. But what's nice about the Techs, whatever you get I'm pretty certain you're going to love the shave!
Those poor Canadian Techs just feel so left out and unloved.
Thanks for reminding me about the Canadian Techs. They are also an exceptional version of the Tech. English, Canadian, & PreWar Fat Handle are my top 3 Techs.
Have one in the mail from Alberta, I got from @Noodles that I’m excited to try!!
The Canadian Pre- and Post-War Techs are certainly among my preferred Techs.

Shaved with my English Flat Bottom Tech on Wednesday. Great shave. So close and comfortable.

The mid-1950s English 'Heavy' Tech (63grams - see the 1956 #24 set at the @mr-razor site) is also quite good.

Top Bottom