What's new

Choosing a Gillette Tech?

I’ve bought from that vendor and most items just need a decent cleanup. The fat handle is post war and will probably give you an excellent shave with a quality blade.
I’m up to 13 Techs
If you mean the second from the left, I’m not sure about that one at all. It almost looks all aluminum, but that may be the Coating of soap scum giving it that appearance. The top right corner of the base plate says 1932.

If you mean the second from the left, I’m not sure about that one at all. It almost looks all aluminum, but that may be the Coating of soap scum giving it that appearance. The top right corner of the base plate says 1932.
..The.1932 indicates Canadian issue, it appears in both triangle and oval slot razors. It is the patent date for the Gillette New in Canada (there was no Tech patent).

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Yes: The second from the left is a fat handled Tech. The handles are hollow but not aluminum. It looks like a light coat of soap scum. It will clean up really nice. I looked at that ad a while ago and I think the head was the rectangle slots (I think) which means it’s post war and a nice smooth shaver. It will only show 1932 underneath which was the year the patent was applied for. They started with date codes in the early’50s.

Yes: The second from the left is a fat handled Tech. The handles are hollow but not aluminum. It looks like a light coat of soap scum. It will clean up really nice. I looked at that ad a while ago and I think the head was the rectangle slots (I think) which means it’s post war and a nice smooth shaver. It will only show 1932 underneath which was the year the patent was applied for. They started with date codes in the early’50s.
Per my previous comment 1932 is the date Thompson's New patent was granted in Canada, the Tech design was not submitted for patent until 1938 in the US and never applied for in Canada, likely because the Canadian patent office had other priorities during wartime. The New patent protected slots and corner tabs. Technically speaking prewar post war doesn't apply in Canada the same as in the US as triangle slots appear in Canadian issues even after 1945.

proxy.php

Last edited:
I have yet to find a tech i don't like. And I own quite a few of various types. I find the shave very similar for all of them. I've never been able to tell any difference between the ones with different shaped holes in the head?

But My preference is for the all brass plated models over the later ones with zamak heads and the earlier ones with aluminum or steel parts. But they are all fine shavers to me.

According to the Tech wiki, models after 1962 have zamak heads. Note that this refers to the Gillette for the zamak heads being embossed, not etched. An etched Gillette does not indicate zamak. I think I read somewhere that here might be some WWII Techs with zamak heads.
I have a tech that I am about 95% sure is military issue/ contact bakelite handle triangular slots in a steel base plate that doesn't look to ever been plated . It has a black Zamak cap. I have been shaving with a tech longer than I can remember only later to find out it was made the year I was born. It is still in my rotation

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
It's a fine razor indeed and I agree technique is paramount in getting the most out of it.

As for the duplicated/improved that's a completely subjective judgement, they're not my favorite (Stahly is my fave mild razor), and I'll point out the Tech patent was quite limited in terms of what was original and protected: the older 1930s Club/Hospital razors have near identical geometry and triangle slots, the Tech adds corner tabs and the diamond center supposedly allowing for thinner sheet metal according to patent.

The Stahly head (1941) adds covered blade tabs and a leaf spring suspension.

I do love the looks of my black and gold pre war Tech but slightly prefer the post war shave.

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

Cool razors. The Club reminds me of the Star. Have you compared the two?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The Canadian Pre-War is a WONDERFUL Tech. Absolutely one of my Top Tier Gillette 1930s-1940s-1950s Techs:

Gillette Tech/NEW Hybrid (England)
Gillette #34 Tech (Germany)
Gillette Flat Bottom Tech (England)
Gillette Pre-war (Triangle) and Post-war (Oval) Fat Handle Tech (Canada and USA)
Gillette 1950s #24 Ball Handle Tech (England)

I like to use my Techs with TiBam, Bear's SRP, Timeless TRH6 Ti, RazoRock Halo Ti, Maggard MR1 or Maggard MR11 handles. :)

Top Bottom