What's new

Choosing a brush

I'm new here and have been enjoying the wealth of knowledge. I've been shaving the traditional way (badger and blade) for about a year or so now and am looking to upgrade my equipment as my finances allow. I've been using a mediocre "best badger" brush I think I bought from the "shave shack" a while back and am looking to upgrade to a nicer one, preferably a super badger or silver badger. I think I want one on the smaller size (not completly sure).
I shave both my head and my face in the mornings and generally use a cream (I like proraso for the tingling and cost). I want a luxurious brush that will whip up a nice lather but one that will be economical on the creams (when I can afford it I love a nice lavender or rose cream). I'm sure you guys have some ideas. Since I don't have the money to purchase an army of wonderful brushes to try out I'd like to shoot for perfection the first time around!

HeadandFace:

First, I see you're in San Diego... I grew up there and most of my family is still out there!!! Welcome to B&B (from a relatively fellow newbie).

As for a brush recommendation, if you check out the selection of Vulfix's on classicshaving.com you'll see you can get a terrific SUPER badger brush for under $60. Any of the Vulfix super badger brushes are a great value and investment for the price.

If you're willing to step it up some, go to the $80-$100+ range, I'd recommend either a Kent BK-4 (which is actually under $80) or a Shavemac- they ship from Germany in a relatively quick timeframe. The brushes are dense and soft. I'd say go with their handmade silvertip collection; size is a matter of personal preference and need.

You'll probably get MANY recommendations from people regarding the Saville Row brushes- from what I hear, they're fantastic brushes for a great price. I have absolutely nothing against them, just no personal experience. I can tell you that my next brush will probably be a Saville Row, something with a 22mm-24mm knot, but, as I said, that's just based on personal preference and needs.

Finally, I LOVE my most recent acquisition, a Simpson Super Badger Chubby 2, but that thing broke the bank at ~$200. It doesn't sound like you want to go that high at this point, and that's probably very good judgment!

Kent, Shavemac, and SR all offer fine brushes at great prices. Also, be sure to keep an eye on Joel's brush comparison. It will be of help to you.

Savile Row SR-208

It is under $60, it is superbadger - it is of adequate size to shave both head and face (25mm) and it looks nice (has a faux tortoise handle). If you need a bigger brush - the SR-212 is superlative as well here is a review of it. and the monster 30mm SR212 is only about $80.

In my opinion the Savile Row SR-208/212 is the best shaving brush value on the market today.

S

Sam

Now, are these the Saville Rows by Shavemac, or Vulfix? I wholeheartedly think that the best value brush in the world, and one of the best brushes period, is a Shavemac.

Sam

HeadandFaceShaver,

You've received some good suggestions so far. As a fellow head shaver, I would like to offer that you probably don't want a brush any smaller than 24mm. If you get too small, you won't have enough lather to finish the entire terrain.

rtaylor61 said:
Tell us about the brush you currently have!

Randy

Thanks for all of the replies. Looking at my current brush, I don't think the writing is visible in the picture; it says "Shaving Shack". On the back it says: Pure badger, handmade in England. I was just cleaning it up for the picture and the writing wiped right off! This brush is not producing enough lather!
Generally, do larger brushes produce more lather? I imagine they use up cream faster. I like that the smaller brushes allow me to buy higher quality badger hair for less money. What are some of the pros and cons of smaller versus larger brushes? Thanks again for all of the great information. Maybe I want the impossible, enough lather for my face and head plus a cream conserver.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
HeadandFaceShaver said:
sorry for the huge picture! I have to figure out a way to shrink them! Maybe if I lower the megapixels the picture will be smaller?

I took the liberty of re-sizing your picture, and uploading it to my gallery. Changing the megapixel rating will make the picture smaller - if your camera has a "VGA" mode, or 640X480 - that is ideal for web photos. Basically - set your camera to the lowest setting :smile:

In relation to your brush dilema... there is a happy medium which should be in the 24-26mm range. The bigger the brush, the more cream you will use (to match the water holding capacity) and the more lather you will get. If the brush is too small, you will either not produce enough lather or you will have to keep adding water to you mix so that the soap isn't too pasty.

The Vulfix, Savile Row, and Shavemac brand brushes are all top notch. Different qualities are exhibited in each brand, but they all lather well. From the sounds of your wants and needs, I think the SR-208 that was suggested by Joel and Scotto will be a pleasing product for you.

Thanks, what would be the equivilent of that brush model # in the silver tipped version? I'm tempted to splurge on the nice hair and for some reason I dig the white handels.

The silvertip brushes will be a bit different in style than the 208, but certainly still very good (some would say great) brushes. To decipher the model number code on these newer models, the first two digits refer to the handle style while the second two digits refer to the size of the bristle knot. This thread contains several good pictures of the different handle styles.

Thats it, even with a review! I think that is the one I'm decided on! If only I didn't have to wait a couple of pay checks! Oh well, good things are worth waiting for... of course it will be a necessity to order some shaving creams with it... and of course the moss scuttle :mad3: This hobby is expensive!

Yes, this "hobby" gets VERY expensive... I was going to post, from newbie to newbie, that you'll see there are many experienced, knowledgeable, and friendly shavers here whose expertise and opinions assist us to "stand on the shoulders of giants" to achieve greater happiness through shaving. With fewer bruises, so to speak.

Anyway, Joel's endorsement of the Saville Rows as the "best available" is a tremendous gold-seal... It has sealed the deal for my next brush, although I still have to decide which handle I like the best, and how they compare to my current collection. (As someone who's been reading the posts, you've probably noticed that he's one of the more "shaving-brush-erudite" fellows here.)

As for your instinct to splurge for the "nicer" (more expensive, higher-grade) hair, I'd completely agree with that. If you're going to basically get one brush (and discard or pretty much stop using your old brush), get the best you can afford now.

Joel, thanks for sharing your suggestions on the SRs... I feel an order coming on!

HeadandFaceShaver said:
Thats it, even with a review! I think that is the one I'm decided on! If only I didn't have to wait a couple of pay checks! Oh well, good things are worth waiting for... of course it will be a necessity to order some shaving creams with it... and of course the moss scuttle :mad3: This hobby is expensive!

HeadandFace,
If you are concerned about all of the costs, you may want to forego the Moss Scuttle as it apparently runs about $70. I have not used one and therefore cannot attest to its usefulness. However, I purchased a candle warmer from Walmart ($4) and two bowls from Target ($6 total) that serve the same purpose and give me warm lather for the entire shave. What I do is fill each with hot water before my shower, leaving the smaller bowl in the sink with a soaking brush and placing the larger bowl on the warmer. After the shower, I dump both and refill with hot water. Then I empty the smaller bowl into the larger bowl (in the sink) and place the smaller bowl inside the larger to displace the excess water. I then lather and return the bowl combo to the warmer and it keeps everything warm for lather after lather. Not bad for ten bucks plus tax...but not as pleasing to the eye as a personalized scuttle.

HeadandFaceShaver said:
The splendid review not withstanding, you may be interested in checking at QED. With an email to Charles I am sure he will probably provide additional information about the different handlestyles available with a 24mm knot, including a heretofore unmentioned SR 3224. This is a longer handle that may be highly desireable for your use when lathering your head.

NYLaw said:
Anyway, Joel's endorsement of the Saville Rows as the "best available" is a tremendous gold-seal... SNIP...(As someone who's been reading the posts, you've probably noticed that he's one of the more "shaving-brush-erudite" fellows here.)

Absolutely--Joel's instincts re: brushes are to be valued. My first brush was a Savile Row 101 and it has served me extremely well.

NYLaw said:
As for your instinct to splurge for the "nicer" (more expensive, higher-grade) hair, I'd completely agree with that.

I agree with this advice, too--I just "stepped up" to a Simpsons PJ3 Super and have not regretted it for an instant--again with thanks to Joel--and others--for his advice along the way.

NYLaw said:
If you're going to basically get one brush (and discard or pretty much stop using your old brush)SNIP

Good God, man! What kind of advice is this?!?!? The next thing you know he won't be wasting. . .er, spending his money on shave-related gear.

Now, repeat after me. . ."I may as well buy the more expensive brush now, as I know I'll be getting it sooner or later.":rolleyes:

Top Bottom