What's new

Cholesteral

I am fighting to keep my cholesteral down. Does anyone have any suggestons as far as taking Omega 3, Iceland Health is advertised on TV alot. Also there is a product out there called Rescue-1250 that I hear about.

Thanks

Clark

Clark said:
I am fighting to keep my cholesteral down. Does anyone have any suggestons as far as taking Omega 3, Iceland Health is advertised on TV alot. Also there is a product out there called Rescue-1250 that I hear about.

Thanks

Clark
Hi Clark,
Aside from OTC remedies, perhaps the most important thing is your physician's guidance. I assume your are seeing one about this? Believe it or not, the claims about whole oats, and oatmeal in particular, are valid. I started eating a bowl of oatmeal or Cheerios (no snickering please :smile: ) every morning except weekends, and my cholesterol has dropped 20 units. And that's the bad cholesterol.
Too bad Cocoa Puffs don't have a salubrious effect on cholesterol. As Frank Sinatra sang, "That's life."

i LOVE oatmeal. ever since i was a kid i'd make myself a monsterous bowl of oatmeal.

the good kind is the mill cut stuff. add some brown sugar, maybe some cinnamon and i'm in heaven.

robofunk said:
i LOVE oatmeal. ever since i was a kid i'd make myself a monsterous bowl of oatmeal.

the good kind is the mill cut stuff. add some brown sugar, maybe some cinnamon and i'm in heaven.
Try some maple syrup with the cinnamon and sliced banana... Ahhh!! :thumbup1:

Exercise is key also - you can get your numbers way down with even modest amounts of cardio. Or, you can become a lunatic like me who hits the gym every morning at 5:15 AM.

Avocados, almonds, fruit and vegetables, and a low saturated fat and high fiber diet also help; plus exercise. i was told that alcohol in modreration can also help raise HDL, the good cholesteral.

Us South Asians (read Indians) are genetically more likely to have heart disease, so i'm quite careful ever since my doctor told me i had high numbers; the above advice helped improve my numbers dramatically.

Good luck Clark.

Regards,
Mahesh

1. As has been said, consult with your doctor about any and all modes of treatment you are thinking about for cholesterol, whether prescription, over the counter, dietary, or otherwise. They will be able to guide you away from the "holy-grail" drugs that claim more than they achieve
  2. Oatmeal, or for that matter all soluble fiber like oat bran, oatmeal, beans, peas, rice bran, barley, citrus fruits, strawberries and apple pulp have been shown to reduce cholesterol. As has been said, a bowl of oatmeal a day actually does do wonders with some people's levels. I've seen it.
  3. Niacin is an over the counter supplement that you can take that is especially helpful in raising your HDL (good cholesterol), which acts as the "garbage man" of your bloodstream to pick up floating remnants of bad cholestrol that can cause arteriosclerosis. Talk to your doctor before taking it if you have liver problems, diabetes, ulcers, or gout. Itching is an adverse effect to watch out for.
  4. There are a whole host of other cholesterol reducing drugs that inhibit cholesterol absorption, production, etc. Your physician can guide you to whats best for you.
  5. As for omega-3s, dont expect this to be a savior for a heart disease problem. The idea is that omega-3s (found in tuna, salmon, flax seed, walnuts, and those omega-3 eggs they now have at the supermarket) replace the omega-6 thats present in your platelet membranes. Platelets are the things responsible for clotting. By replacing omega 6s by omega 3s, you reduce the tendency of those platelets to aggregate and start clots when they are not needed (ie, when you are cut and bleeding) and thus give you a heart attack. Its a good thing that might reduce your triglyceride levels, but not as effective as the cholesterol drugs out there.

You could subscribe to the same school of thought as Steven Wright:

"I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol" :scared:

Jerry

guenron said:
Hi Clark,
...Believe it or not, the claims about whole oats, and oatmeal in particular, are valid. I started eating a bowl of oatmeal...every morning except weekends...

I too start my week days with oatmeal. I prefer Christine & Rob’s oatmeal which was featured on FoodTV.com. It's fantastic. For a nutty texture wait until the water is boiling to add the oatmeal. For a creamy texture add it right away and wait until the last couple of minutes before adding any salt (if you wish).

I also row 40 minutes a day or the equivalent of 6000 meters - good for the heart!
Good Luck!

Clark,

Remember, Lavender is a stress reducer! So, on my Lavender days, I use either Taylor's Lavender Soap or QED Lavender Soap, Thayer's Lavender Witch Hazel followed with a few spritzes of Caswell-Massey's Lavender Cologne Water. And I start it all off with Dr. Bronners Magical Lavender Soap. On those days, the one thing that does not cause stress is how I smell!

Randy

Hi all -

In keeping with the purpose of the "Buy/Sell/Trade" forum. I've relocated the "Cholesterol" thread to the "General" forum.

THANKS! :biggrin:

Sorry for the second move of this thread, but I felt the Barber Shop was a more appropriate place since this topic is outside of the shaving realm.

Speaking of oats, I think that Nairns makes a very tasty oat cracker:
http://www.nairns-oatcakes.com/home.asp

Another suggestion is to avoid unhealthy fats, anything hydrogenated, for instance. So Crisco is out, much worse than coconut oil or butter, I think. (Spectrum makes a natural palm oil shortening that stays firm at room temperature naturally.) Also bad are fats that have been heated repeatedly, such as the deep fat fryer at McDonalds, etc.

Extra virgin olive oil is supposed to be first-rate, but you can't use it at high heat, and it has a strong flavor. Great for Mediterranean cooking, though.

Most fish and nuts are full of "good" fats. Salmon, herring, walnuts, almonds...

And from what I've read, egg yolks, though they contain cholesterol, don't necessarily raise one's cholesterol.

I've also read recently about the theory that atherosclerosis may be due to the body's reaction to an inflammation of the blood vessels from some kind of infection. I forget the bacteria species. (Remember how suddenly after many years they discovered that ulcers were related to a specific infection, after years of telling people to "drink milk"?)

And - "Type A" personalities that include hostility/anger are supposed to be more prone to heart trouble.

And - exercise is a big factor.

robofunk said:

Frozen blueberries, raisins and grape nuts in mine every morning. I don't know what my reading was before I started eating this several years ago, but it musn't have been good.

Top Bottom