What's new

Choice of Two...

Hi All,

Relatively new to the world of SR.

Looking to buy my first expensive piece, however there are a couple of requirements;

-The SR is mainly used to tidy up/shape the lines on my beard so won't be used that frequently, but needs to be accurate.
-It must be made of genuine horn. I've just bought a DE razor and brush set from Muhle which are genuine horn and I'd like it to match (material wise, I know horn is natural and there will be differences in the finish).

I've narrowed it down to two options, unless anyone else has any other options for me to consider.

1. DOVO BERGISCHER LOWE BUFFALO HORN OPEN RAZOR (Dovo 5/8 Bergischer Löwe Straight Razor|The Invisible Edge - https://www.theinvisibleedge.co.uk/straight-razors/medium-size-straight-razors/dovo-bergischer-lowe-razor)
2. DOVO RAZOR GENUINE BUFFALO HORN HANDLE- BROAD (98 5850) (Dovo Razor Genuine Buffalo Horn handle- Broad - https://www.gents.co.uk/dovo-razor-genuine-buffalo-horn-handle-broad)

Please let me know your thoughts, or any other options you feel I should consider.

Thanks again!

David

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@dwj100 this is B&B. The answer to your dilemma is get both.

You may prefer the Bergischer Löwe as it has an American (square) point that should be better at finer detailed work. Then there is the Gold Dollar W59 that, when honed up, is even better.

IMG_20200628_102206.jpg
Not for the faint of heart.​

Neither. I use a SR to detail my beard. When outlining the top of the beard (cheek line) a shorter blade is better. I use kamisori and kamisori type folders for that. The longer blade obscures your view, making it difficult to see the line you are creating. The shorter Japanese kamisori and kamisori type blades are about 2 inches in length, making it easier to see what you are doing.

I would opt for the best blade for the job first. Once you find that, you can send it out for matching horn scales. There are many people out there that will make custom scales for you.

twocents.jpg

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
The B.L. will be the more hand-friendly blade. You will definitely like it once you have it tuned up to your preference. If it comes shave ready from the seller (no, not the factory "shave ready" edge) then you can up your game even more with the balsa progression and maintain on the .1u balsa and have a crazy efficient and smooth shaver. Nothing wrong with the other razor, and it does cost less, but to spend less money I would stick with the Bismarck style blade in another model. The Lowe is nearly top of the line, though. If you can afford it, go for it.

I would not buy or recommend a Gold plated razor. They look great but the Gold will not last and they do not look good when the gold scratches and it will scratch.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I would not buy or recommend a Gold plated razor. They look great but the Gold will not last and they do not look good when the gold scratches and it will scratch.
Doesnt affect the shave. Just sayin. Purty don't shave. It just sits there looking at you. But yeah, the gold will wear. I used to hate it but now I just don't care one way or the other.

Top Bottom