What's new

Choice of blade

I have been wet shaving for around 2 years. As expected, there was a bit of a learning curve to achieve an irritation free shave, as well as a fair amount of experimentation to decide upon a blade choice. Now, looking back, I wonder if the blades really played such a significant role in the quality of my early shaves as I originally thought, or is it more that my shaving technique has improved? Just some musings. What do you guys think?

99% technique, 1% blade. Just my humble opinion.

Couldn't agree more. Most of the stuff that I used starting out and didn't like was put away and after revisiting it with proper technique, it turns out the product wasn't the problem.

I am currently revisiting a blade that I used to hate when I began shaving with a DE. I now consider it to be a very good blade. The blades haven't changed, my technique has improved. It's mostly technique.

Technique is huge. Also, once you get a decent technique, you will discover better (or not) blade/razor combinations.

Some blades are better than others. Good prep and technique make a mediocre blade useable, but there's nothing like the experience of a good, sharp, smooth shave with a GSB, Perma-Sharp, or the like.

I've been DE shaving for 2 years too.

Technique is definitely top of the list of things that make a better quality shave - with all the will in the world, no matter how good the brush, bowl/mug/scuttle, soap/cream, razor and blades are, without the necessary skills required to use them, they'll never get used to their full potential

Prep is also very important (see my signature), a decent brush used to lather a decent shaving soap or cream knocks spots off canned foam or gel and almost guarantees a better and more enjoyable shave

Finding the right razor makes a big difference too, the wrong choice of razor will still get the job done, but the way I see it, once you've developed your technique, if you don't enjoy using the razor, then you're using the wrong razor - I sold the Fatip Grande that I used to develop my technique because after I added more razors to my collection that I enjoyed using, I found that I started to hate every shave with the Fatip Grande

Blades do play a big part - early on, the trick is to find the blade that you like and use it to develop your technique, but the worst thing you can do is dismiss blades that don't work out at first.
I set all my "rejects" aside until I'd developed my technique. When I tried them again, I found that I actually liked all but one - the one that I didn't like at first, still didn't like when I was more experienced, and refuse to shave with even now was Derby Extra.

The big difference that comes with experience is being able to try out a new blade, use it every day until it comes to the end of it's usefulness, and knowing whether you'd want to buy more of them

Ehh. If it was REALLY REALLY bad in the beginning compared to some other blades then it's probably still not great for your skin.

If it was meh or you didn't like it but didn't HATE it. Then it's extremely likely its you and not the blade.

I really like Astra's now, thought they sucked before, still hate Shark's just as much as the first two times I tried them.

I agree with everyone else. I'd say that there are a few "bad" blades or blades that are less than average. There are some blades that we seem to prefer but most of them give good shaves when you have perfected your technique.

I don't think soap and brushes play much of a role in the quality of your shave but they may play a role it how much you enjoy shaving. For me they matter little as long as they just aren't a faulty product. A brush is a brush as long as the bristles aren't falling out. Lather is lather.

I also think this partially explains the whole "YMMV" for blades. I think there is far less "YMMV" and more "your technique may improve".

Many people think they have facial hair that is thicker than average and skin that is more sensitive than average when that can't actually be possible. What is more likely is just that when you are new some razors are more likely to bite and when you learn to shave, they don't.

If "YMMV" were actually true there wouldn't be so many that like GSB, Astra, Personna Blue and so many that find Derby Extra dull and Feather sharp. :)

Good technique is how someone can shave with a Feather in an adjustable set wide open without irritation and use the blade 30 or more times. All commercially available razor blades unless defective in grinding should give a decent shave without irritation. First shave will be rougher than later ones due to the "oversharp" edge, as it dulls down a bit it will be less irritating.

Human hair, even the coarsest beard, is vastly softer than a razor blade. The trick is to use the blade in a manner that cuts the hairs off at skin level without cutting into the skin!

Peter

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
99% technique, 1% blade. Just my humble opinion.

I would respectfully disagree with the 1%. Technique is certainly the most important factor by far, but I think 99% is a healthy dose of hyperbole.

A weeper-free/irritation free BBS requires good technique and a good combination of face/razor/blade.

With the same technique and too mild a razor I don't get a BBS. With an aggressive razor and a Feather blade I often get some irritation. The sensitivity of one's skin is a factor.

So I am solidly behind the importance of good technique, but I don't discount the value of a good razor/blade combination for your particular face.

Ehh. If it was REALLY REALLY bad in the beginning compared to some other blades then it's probably still not great for your skin.

If it was meh or you didn't like it but didn't HATE it. Then it's extremely likely its you and not the blade.

I really like Astra's now, thought they sucked before, still hate Shark's just as much as the first two times I tried them.

Yet for some of us, Sharks are a very good blade. I can consistently get good shaves out of them which isn't the case for most other blades. I hate to say YMMV still applys regardless of technique level.

That said, technique is still king.

Top Bottom