What's new

Chiseled Face "Tradewinds" (ATTN: Old Spice Fans)

Good to know! I haven't tried any of the Chiseled Face soaps as yet.

To my nose, the Soap Commander Endurance is as close to old-Old Spice as I've ever smelled. (Even closer than the Indian Old Spice aftershave.) So if the Trade Winds is close to that, then it must be good.

Has the scent of Old Spice changed over the years?

Yes, several times. And never for the better--they've "updated" it into a different scent. The new Old Spice is a perfectly fine aftershave for what it is, but it is very little like the kind that was available in the 1950s under the same name.

I like the Stirling Spice, BTW, but it's more of an homage to Old Spice than an attempt to duplicate the scent. But it's great, too!

Yes, several times. And never for the better--they've "updated" it into a different scent. The new Old Spice is a perfectly fine aftershave for what it is, but it is very little like the kind that was available in the 1950s under the same name.

I like the Stirling Spice, BTW, but it's more of an homage to Old Spice than an attempt to duplicate the scent. But it's great, too!

Yeah, that absolutely doesn't surprise me. There are so many variables in industry and production. Things change over time. Sometimes it might actually be necessary, not optional, to change the formula (e.g. Coca-Cola).

And then with the whole trade secret protections on proprietary formulas, and degradation of synthetic chemicals over time possibly altering the scent of old stock product over time, it'd probably be a waste of time to try to exactly match the scent of the original.

I have a couple of Stirling soap I really enjoy. I didn't know they made an Old Spice throwback. I'm going to put that on my wishlist... I may have too many soaps right now to justify another purchase right away haha

This is interesting, because all I get out of my tradewinds is a mild, sea air scent. I like it, but it's too faint and honestly, not a strong choice for a "standalone" scent. I've never smelled OS so I can't compare, but after reading this review I'll definitely give it or some of the clones a try.

Oh, I should say that my "tradewinds" is older, with a different label. So maybe the fragrance mix is slightly different? Or it could just be my nose.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I love CF soaps and splashes. Love Sherlock and Ghost Town Barber. Those are some of my all time favorites. I have the Tradewinds too. Not so much. Never equated it with Old Spice. More of a Caribbean style fragrance to me. The feeling of a fresh sea breeze. I have old spice, and Stirling spice, and don't find this to be like those. Great performing soap like all CF. But the fragrance is a bit meh compared to their other stuff.

Top Bottom