What's new

Chiseled Face "Tradewinds" (ATTN: Old Spice Fans)

¡Bueno Caballeros! Feel free to post your own experiences with this soap or add to my descriptions.

I shaved with Tradewinds this morning for the first time. I really like it.

The packaging is good. Nice wide tub with enough lip to keep control of the lather as you load the brush. I like the simple graphics and the label is plastic so it won't dissolve when it gets wet. The only problem is that the label is slightly larger in diameter than the lid so the edges hang over the sides just a tiny bit. In the long run I have a feeling that the label is going to start to lift off of the lid from being handled.

IMG_4445.JPG

The soap is soft. About the same consistency as Proraso. My son said, "Eww. It looks like throw up."

IMG_4447.JPG

A Tale of Four Old Spice Soaps:

To me, Tradewinds is another Old Spice-scented shaving soap. I wish I had Stirling Spice for comparison (I do have the aftershave though). But I only have the Old Spice soaps in the pic below.

IMG_4480.JPG

I'm not good with describing specific technical scent notes (e.g., bergamot, patchouli, amber, etc...). Instead, I like to compare things to scents I know. In this case, the scent is very similar to Soap Commander Endurance. In fact, I think it smells like Endurance but with a "soapy" edge to it. Tradewinds has that same underlying Old Spice scent but with a fresher, cleaner, soap scent added to it. Think of SC Endurance mixed with a dryer sheet. It's a nice clean scent. Don't get me wrong though. I love Endurance. And the performances of the two are very similar. It's just that Tradewinds smells a bit "fresher." My son says, "It smells like shampoo."

IMG_4446.JPG

The vintage Old Spice soap I have has no Old Spice scent at all. It just smells like old soap with a little bit of fragrance. Great performer though. The Bearded Jack is Old Spice but I feel like the scent is much darker and heavier--like oily, or syrup-like. It's definitely not as refreshing as Endurance or Tradewinds. For me, the freshness of a scent matters in the morning when I shave because I like my shave to brighten up my morning routine. Especially when the weather gets hot and humid.

The lather is great!! The Old Spice scent comes out a little stronger when you lather. It went on my face light and fluffy but whipped up into a nice thick lather with hardly any effort. Nice and slick with lots of cushion. Pretty good residual slickness but not quite as good as the Stirling soaps I own. Great peaks too. I only swirled the brush 15 times on the soap and had tons of lather left over after my standard 3-pass shave. This pic is the amount of lather left over after my shave:

Lather.jpg

The post-shave feel was good. I felt no irritation or burning. I topped off the shave with Stirling Spice aftershave (transferred to a vintage Old Spice bottle for an old-school feel). I'm writing this about 2 hours later and my face still feels smooth and powdery soft. The Old Spice scent is still pretty strong.

My shave this morning:

IMG_4472.JPG

Feel free to add your own experiences with the soap especially if you have used Stirling Spice or any other Old Spice scented shaving soap. I'm hoping that this thread will help members with their soap selection process.

You said that 15 swirls produced that amount of lather. Did you load the brush with 15 swirls and then face lather, bowl lather or palm lather?

I've never used any Old Spice scents other than Tradewinds, and I like it a lot. Chiseled Face is my favorite soft soap, although I'll admit I like the scent of Summer Storm more. Both of those scents and Cryogen will always be mainstays for me. I get great performance with good post shave feel, and they're a breeze to lather. What's not to love?

Nice write up. Thanks for the review.

No problem! I decided that I'm going to give back to the forum by reviewing all new products as I try them. I think everyone is in the same situation as me: unable to actually sample the products before purchasing.

This soap is a good example. It's a really good soap and I'm going to use it for sure. But honestly I wouldn't have bought it had I known it was a primarily an Old Spice soap. I have enough already and I actually wanted something new.

Chiseled Face is my favorite soft soap, although I'll admit I like the scent of Summer Storm more.

Funny. I was torn between Tradewinds and Summer Storm when I looked for a new soap to try. I should have chosen Summer Storm and I would have had I known Tradewinds was another Old Spice scented soap. As you can see, I have enough already.

It's interesting to me that you say it's an Old Spice style. I've only used Trade Winds AS but it doesn't smell like Old Spice AS to me. Could just be my sniffer.

@Chango there's always plenty of time to try Summer Storm. I don't think they'll be getting rid of the scent anytime soon. I love the stuff though. It reminds me of when I would hike through the mountains & forests of PA after it rained, the earthy, grassy, ozone smell after a storm if you know what I mean. I think they nailed the scent.

Great review. I have both Tradewinds and Ghost Town Barber and enjoy them very much. Good lather and plenty slick. Will stay in rotation with my LASS soaps for the foreseeable future.

I recently got a sample of Tradewinds. To be honest, mine doesn't smell anything at all like Old Spice to me. It really smells a lot like Dial soap with maybe a tiny dab of Irish Spring.

Chiseled Face has always preformed exceptionally for me. My favorites are Ghost Town Barber, Summer Storm and Santa Paula. I've tried them all except Cryogen, as I don't really like menthol. For me Midnight Stag is the only really terrible one. I've had to have a large number of surgeries, and it smells disturbingly like the sleeping gas they used to give me(it's that kind of rubbery aspect), so that's more of a personal gripe.

I forgot, they have that new Rhinoceros scent. I want to try that pretty bad, but at $35+ tax and shipping a tub I might have to wait and hope they do samples.

I forgot, they have that new Rhinoceros scent. I want to try that pretty bad, but at $35+ tax and shipping a tub I might have to wait and hope they do samples.
It is quite a price but I guess there are those who are willing to pay it. Sounds like the batch is pretty much sold out.

I suppose now would be a good time to say that I have no idea what Old Spice smells like...but I do like Tradewinds regardless of the similarity or lack thereof to Old Spice.

On Cryogen: Very rarely do I ever use it full strength. In the summer it's great to mix with a nice citrus scent though. I usually pick up some Cryogen then load with a citrus based soap and even with it being diluted I still get an icy cold blast that makes me feel like I'm eating a York peppermint patty bare naked while standing dripping wet on the icy tundra with a cold arctic blast blowing on me. I mix the AS with citrus scents as well.

I recently got a sample of Tradewinds. To be honest, mine doesn't smell anything at all like Old Spice to me. It really smells a lot like Dial soap with maybe a tiny dab of Irish Spring.

I definitely pick up the Dial soap scent. The description of the soap stated that Old Spice is in the background. But I definitely sense Old Spice as the primary scent--soap in the background. Especially when lathering. Maybe the Old Spice scent settles down with age? Maybe the makers went a little heavy with the fragrance on this batch?

You said that 15 swirls produced that amount of lather.

So sorry. I meant to say a 15-count. Tried to edit the post but cannot. Depending on how my load is going, I count to either 15 or 20 while I'm passing the brush over the soap. I did a 15-count on this soap. Which is more than 15 actual swirls. Sorry for the inaccuracy.

I just shaved with the soap again this morning and it is definitely a quality soap. So easy to create a nice lather.

I still get an icy cold blast that makes me feel like I'm eating a York peppermint patty bare naked while standing dripping wet on the icy tundra with a cold arctic blast blowing on me. I mix the AS with citrus scents as well.
TMI. Not a picture I needed in my head.

Forgive my Old Spice ignorance here. I bought one bottle when I was in the army more than ten years ago, and before that, the last time I saw a bottle, I was about 4 years old and it was my dad's. I can't say I really remember what either of them smelled like with any sort of certainty. Has the scent of Old Spice changed over the years? Or are others just doing it better now than the original? Just curious on the Sterling Spice AS...

You can find a lot of debates about modern/vintage Old Spice. I read posts from several old-timers that Stirling Spice is pretty close to the original.

Vintage Old Spice discussion:

Old Spice - Yesterday and Today

Stirling Spice

What does Stirling Spice soap smell like

My father was an Old Spice man too. Regardless of how close Stirling Spice is to vintage Old Spice, the Stirling Spice aftershave is very nice. Great post-shave feel and the scent is long lasting.

Top Bottom