What's new

Chiseled Face Legacy Razor

Haven't seen any threads on the Chiseled Face Razor, so here are some thoughts..

I bought on Preorder Batch 1. TLDR: Razor is great. Ride the cap and use 100% 0 pressure. Touch of blade feel, very comfortable.

Outside of the Blackland Blackbird, most razors seem pretty similar to me. Some are more comfortable than others, some are more efficient than others, but on the whole, they’re pretty similar. The Chiseled Face Titanium Razor, however, is different.

I was blown away by the presentation. Ron knocked it out of the park. The case it comes with is ridiculous.

There is a learning curve to this razor, at least there was for me. Ride the cap, and use 100% zero pressure.

When I pick up a razor, I generally use muscle memory and just shave. My technique is likely horrible, I don’t think about pressure, or angles, or anything. I just shave. I can usually tell within one or two shaves if a razor is going to work for me.

First time with this razor, I had a ton of blade feel, and irritation. Normally for me, it’d go in the return/sell pile after one use. For some reason, I was so intrigued, I needed to keep using it. There was blade feel, but It was absolutely not uncomfortable. I never felt like I was going to cut myself. Chatting with Ron, he suggested less pressure. I tried that the second day, and it was night and day. Still a touch of blade feel, just enough to know it’s there, but completely comfortable. After another day I was back to 100% irritation free/zero alum burn shaves.

I tried using what I think was a similar light touch with a Merkur 34C as well as a Timeless Titanium Slim, both of which I like. The 34C was terrible, it felt like it was pulling hairs out. The Slim fared a little better but still didn’t seem perfect, they both wanted the slightest bit of pressure.

I can’t put my finger on why it’s so different - I think it’s because it’s almost the exact opposite of the Blackbird, which people talk about as different. The angle you use with the Blackbird, the razor absolutely lets you know the blade is there, and demands your attention. The Chiseled Face razor still has some blade feel, but to my face is imminently more comfortable. I’m sure someone that sciences this much more than I will have reasons for this, gap/exposure/etc, but i’m just shaver over here. Blackbird is also definitely more efficient than Chiseled Face razor, at least in my usage.

It seems bizarre to say, but the razor is fun to use, and using it and getting better with it has been interesting. I’ve used a lot of razors, but i’ve never really thought about any of them to the level that i’ve contemplated this one.

The only tiny thing I can knock is that while the handle has never slid out of my hand, I prefer a grippier razor and I'm definitely conscious of it. I know Ron is working on another option.

Interesting new razor! I am going to have to consider picking one up. The design looks interesting and I appreciate the presentation.

Have you tried rubbing alum on your fingers before shaving? I have heard that this may help with the grip.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Find the photo of ""Chiseled Face Ti Razor"" on the Internet.
The case made of a whole piece of aluminum alloy CNC makes the whole set interesting, like Michelangelo said "The sculpture is already complete within the marble block, before I start my work. It is already there, I just have to chisel away the superfluous material".
20210804_172917_1024x1024.jpg

Haven't seen any threads on the Chiseled Face Razor, so here are some thoughts..

I bought on Preorder Batch 1. TLDR: Razor is great. Ride the cap and use 100% 0 pressure. Touch of blade feel, very comfortable.

Outside of the Blackland Blackbird, most razors seem pretty similar to me. Some are more comfortable than others, some are more efficient than others, but on the whole, they’re pretty similar. The Chiseled Face Titanium Razor, however, is different.

I was blown away by the presentation. Ron knocked it out of the park. The case it comes with is ridiculous.

There is a learning curve to this razor, at least there was for me. Ride the cap, and use 100% zero pressure.

When I pick up a razor, I generally use muscle memory and just shave. My technique is likely horrible, I don’t think about pressure, or angles, or anything. I just shave. I can usually tell within one or two shaves if a razor is going to work for me.

First time with this razor, I had a ton of blade feel, and irritation. Normally for me, it’d go in the return/sell pile after one use. For some reason, I was so intrigued, I needed to keep using it. There was blade feel, but It was absolutely not uncomfortable. I never felt like I was going to cut myself. Chatting with Ron, he suggested less pressure. I tried that the second day, and it was night and day. Still a touch of blade feel, just enough to know it’s there, but completely comfortable. After another day I was back to 100% irritation free/zero alum burn shaves.

I tried using what I think was a similar light touch with a Merkur 34C as well as a Timeless Titanium Slim, both of which I like. The 34C was terrible, it felt like it was pulling hairs out. The Slim fared a little better but still didn’t seem perfect, they both wanted the slightest bit of pressure.

I can’t put my finger on why it’s so different - I think it’s because it’s almost the exact opposite of the Blackbird, which people talk about as different. The angle you use with the Blackbird, the razor absolutely lets you know the blade is there, and demands your attention. The Chiseled Face razor still has some blade feel, but to my face is imminently more comfortable. I’m sure someone that sciences this much more than I will have reasons for this, gap/exposure/etc, but i’m just shaver over here. Blackbird is also definitely more efficient than Chiseled Face razor, at least in my usage.

It seems bizarre to say, but the razor is fun to use, and using it and getting better with it has been interesting. I’ve used a lot of razors, but i’ve never really thought about any of them to the level that i’ve contemplated this one.

The only tiny thing I can knock is that while the handle has never slid out of my hand, I prefer a grippier razor and I'm definitely conscious of it. I know Ron is working on another option.

Where's the picture? We like pictures.

$345 for the initial offering with the possibility for the price to increase down the road to cover R&D costs?? Who makes a razor and decides "not" to pass on R&D costs to start out? The head looks to be Ti but the handle looks to be identical to the Aluminum case that is well, overkill to say the least... Probably the worst and most wasteful presentation to date for a razor!! What are these mfg's thinking of? Maybe they should be charging for R&D and not some piece of aluminum that will be put in a drawer or closet and forgot about!!

Top Bottom