What's new

chiseled face soaps, worth buying?

For those that have used these soaps, how are they as performers? They seem to have rather unique scents and I was looking at the different scents they offer and none of them appeal to me besides maybe bay rum and their cryogen which is supposed to be a high mentholated soap. give me your thoughts on these soaps as performers and their scents.

I have Ghost Town Barber and I like it quite a bit. Easy to lather, and the actual performance is roughly what I expect from soap at its price point. Scent is always subjective but I really like this take on a 'barbershop' style. I used it this morning in fact and had a very enjoyable shave. It will definitely be replaced when it is used up.

I've also had a sample of the Santa Paula and it is interesting. Kind of a bitter orange and earthy scent which kind of grew on me but I haven't quite decided to go all in and buy a tub.

Their samples are like $2 so you might want to grab a few.

Last edited:
Chiseled Face is my Go To soap! I have soaps from many of the artisans you read about, but I like CF the best!

1. Easy to Lather (Only been at the wet shaving game 2.5 years), I can't seem to screw it up.

2. Scents - I love the scents! I LOVE Ghost Town Barber, Guy Noir, Summer Storm and Gemütlichkeit. I also use Bay Rum & Cinnawood Boroka on a regular basis. I purchased the CF Sampler set and found that I liked most of the scents there. Midnight Stag and Pine Tar have even grown on me. Easy St. is probably my least favorite.

All of the soaps seem to perform the same for me. All of my soaps come from the Tallow base. I haven't tried the Silk base.

Last edited:
I have only used Ghost Town Barber and really like it. Very easy to lather regardless of the type of brush that is used. The scent is a very nice take of a barbershop scent. Slick lather and great glide when shaving.

I want to try their Bay Rum next since I'm a big Bay Rum fan.

I also have Sherlock, and I also quite like it. As Enclave said, I'm not sure it's for everyone. As for how the soap performs... I'll say it's one of the better performing Soaps that I've used. If you want a Santa beard of shaving foam go sparing with the water. I SR shave so I need a thinner slick lather, and it works well for me. Ghost Town Barber gets really good reviews.

C.F. is a top tier soap IMO. Top-notch quality artisan soap. You can't go wrong buying it. I have 6 or 7, and enjoy G.T.B. and Sherlock. Good stuff man!

CFG soaps are great from a performance standpoint, and I really like them. Fragrances - something for everyone, to be generous. Santa Paula Citrus is a classic citrus (orange, mostly). Sherlock, GTB, Trade Winds, classic mens' cologne. Midnight Stag, um. It's...unique. Cryogen, it goes to eleven. Or maybe twelve. My baseline for menthol as the maximum you should apply to your face. And even then, you shouldn't. And all of them are heady, long-lasting, full-bodied fragrances, not always for the office.

Chiseled Face soaps are excellent, and the splashes are too - not sticky, absorb quickly, and make the skin feel great.

I like all of the scents I’ve tried - which is most of them. Summer Storm and Ghost Town Barber are the standouts for me.

Bay Rum definitely has cloves in it. I know bay rum fans are divided into clove vs non-clove devotees. But if it’s the sort you like then it’s a good one. I haven’t tried the Cryogen one.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I have several. Ghost Town Barber I have in their Silk Tallow base. They perform well. I have GTB, Banana, Bay Rum and Trade Winds. Good stuff!

Chiseled Face soaps and splashes are great performers, for all the reasons everyone has listed above. For myself, I like the original formula more than the silk tallow, but they are both excellent. Ghost Town Barber is by far their best seller. I have it and Sherlock and Midnight Stag. Stag is my favorite but it is VERY polarizing. First whiff I thought, oh hell no. But I ended up getting addicted to its stank. I believe the brand was started in large part to provide options for traditionally "masculine" scents.

Have both the Ghost town barber and the sherlock.
Love the performance of both. Scent wise A+++ for the ghost town. The Sherlock for me took some getting used to. It is decent.

I really love the Ghost Town Barber soap scent, but I've found that while it lathers easily, the performance/slickness is better suited for use with DE and SE razors and does fine. For a Straight Razor shave, you normally want a wetter lather, but either CF/GTB doesn't hold up to additional water or it just isn't slick enough for me to use a SR -- either way, nothing good comes from a SR blade getting sticky against your skin and suddenly skipping. Maybe I need to revisit it, or just use it with safety razors, I don't know, but I still love the scent. I have the GTB After Shave in the glass "whiskey bottle" and absolutely love the scent and the cooling menthol kick and it lasts a good while, so whether or not I replace the soap when it's gone, I'll be buying the after shave for sure.

Top Bottom