What's new

Chiseled Face soap eating through plastic jars

About a month ago I bought 10 sample set of Chiseled Face soaps. I obsoletely love the Sherlock scent but the scary thing I noticed is that the Sherlock soap actually is eating the plastic away in the little sample jars. No other 9 scents have that problem. Where ever the soap was touching the plastic, it etched it pretty deep making it frosty. No, it's not soap residue. It's etched into plastic. I made scratches trying to remove it. So out of curiosity I bought second sample set that arrived yesterday and sure enough, the Sherlock jar is all eaten away on the inside (no others). They had to be packed at different times as the labels have slightly different colors. Can anyone verify this. You have to remove the soap and wash the little jar to see it. These jars are PET that is resistant to most chemicals yet the fragrance oil used in Sherlock is eating it away. Scary stuff.

One photo shows looking through both Sherlock jars (clear spots where there was air bubble and had no soap contact)
Second picture shows Sherlock and Ghost Town Barber jars next to each other.

Attachments

• IMG_20230527_134353706.jpg
    IMG_20230527_134353706.jpg
    596.9 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20230527_134601463.jpg
    IMG_20230527_134601463.jpg
    551.6 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20230527_134630392.jpg
    IMG_20230527_134630392.jpg
    465.5 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20230527_134832399.jpg
    IMG_20230527_134832399.jpg
    896.6 KB · Views: 67
What's the Sherlock scent like?

Strong and pungent based on the sample I had a few years ago. I couldn't figure out what I was smelling so I read the scent description. One of the scents listed was wet dirt and that was accurate for sure. That's all I remember about it.

What's the Sherlock scent like?
Sweet Tobacco, leather and wet black dirt. Sounds bad but for me it's the best scent out there. Was going to order couple large jars till I found being corrosive to plastics. Not exactly something I want on my face. I guess I can recreate the scent with fragrance oils.

About a month ago I bought 10 sample set of Chiseled Face soaps. I obsoletely love the Sherlock scent but the scary thing I noticed is that the Sherlock soap actually is eating the plastic away in the little sample jars. No other 9 scents have that problem. Where ever the soap was touching the plastic, it etched it pretty deep making it frosty. No, it's not soap residue. It's etched into plastic. I made scratches trying to remove it. So out of curiosity I bought second sample set that arrived yesterday and sure enough, the Sherlock jar is all eaten away on the inside (no others). They had to be packed at different times as the labels have slightly different colors. Can anyone verify this. You have to remove the soap and wash the little jar to see it. These jars are PET that is resistant to most chemicals yet the fragrance oil used in Sherlock is eating it away. Scary stuff.

One photo shows looking through both Sherlock jars (clear spots where there was air bubble and had no soap contact)
Second picture shows Sherlock and Ghost Town Barber jars next to each other.
I'm sure Ron Wiebe, owner of Groomatorium, would be interested in knowing about this. Did you contact him?

I am assuming that the sample was packed in a defective vessel.

I do agree. He does produce some scents that are a little "out there.":001_smile

Last edited:

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I have several Chiseled Face soaps...all keepers. They've got a great Bay Rum.

I'm sure Ron Wiebe, owner of Groomatorium, would be interested in knowing about this. Did you contact him?

I am assuming that the sample was packed in a defective vessel.

I do agree. He does produce some scents that are a little "out there.":001_smile
I emailed him but no response. I'm trying to verify this with other users who have sample pack because it may be the newest oils that cause it and the older stuff didn't. I would then get older used jars of the Sherlock scent. Both samples packs I got were from Amazon shipped in beginning of May and then 3 days ago. Since I liked the Sherlock scent the best it was the first sample jar I emptied finding a problem.

I have a full tubs of Sherlock (also one of my favs), Summer Storm (my absolute fav) and Ghostown Barber. I have had them for over two years and I use them in rotation regularly with no issues at all. I did take a look at my tubs and I so not see anything like what is in your sample jars.

BTW, just because something is PET, does not mean its impervious to most chemicals. I have a few food containers that are PET rated and if I put anything that is acidic in them (tomato sauce for example), the containers look like something was eating away at them - because of the citrus acid.

My 0.02USD is I wouldn't worry about it as most of those jars are made for cosmetics and not soap.

I have a full tubs of Sherlock (also one of my favs), Summer Storm (my absolute fav) and Ghostown Barber. I have had them for over two years and I use them in rotation regularly with no issues at all. I did take a look at my tubs and I so not see anything like what is in your sample jars.

BTW, just because something is PET, does not mean its impervious to most chemicals. I have a few food containers that are PET rated and if I put anything that is acidic in them (tomato sauce for example), the containers look like something was eating away at them - because of the citrus acid.

My 0.02USD is I wouldn't worry about it as most of those jars are made for cosmetics and not soap.
The large tubs are different plastic this is why I was looking if anyone that had samples in sample jars. I have about 45 sample jars, all same plastic yet Sherlock jar is the only one effected

I wonder if it has clove in it? Clove can degrade plastic. Causes some plastics to craze and crack. Draws moisture from everything.

I emailed him but no response. I'm trying to verify this with other users who have sample pack because it may be the newest oils that cause it and the older stuff didn't. I would then get older used jars of the Sherlock scent. Both samples packs I got were from Amazon shipped in beginning of May and then 3 days ago. Since I liked the Sherlock scent the best it was the first sample jar I emptied finding a problem.
They're short staffed and they recently moved from one state to another so that might be the delay. I ordered a razor from them a couple days ago and had some questions before I ordered. It took him a couple days to respond.

I got an email from Ron from Chiseled Face. He wrote:

I suspect what you're seeing might be a result of the temperature conditions in Amazon's warehouse causing the essential oils, particularly the black pepper oil, to separate from the soap and react with the plastic cup. It's not that the soap is 'eating away' the plastic, but rather that the oils are interacting with it under those specific conditions.

I've checked our Sherlock samples stored here in our air-conditioned facility, and they do not display the same frosting or etching issue. It seems to be a situation unique to the conditions at the Amazon warehouse.

While this situation might look a bit concerning, I assure you that our soaps are safe to use. The essential oils we use are all skin-safe at the concentration used in the soap.

That said, I'm grateful for your feedback and will look into this matter further to see if there's a way we can prevent this in the future. If you have any other questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Best regards,

Ron Wiebe
Chiseled Face Groomatorium

Top Bottom