What's new

Chips & Guacamole vs. Pita & Hummus

Chips & Guacamole vs. Pita & Hummus

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I've never been to Israel, but we spent a day in and around Beirut. The hummus we had at lunch was something to talk about.
I would love to go to Israel. My uncle went in the early 90's and brought back great stories. They went up to Masada and floated in the dead sea. He's a trained chef and told me he ate everything that wasn't nailed down.

Israeli food is quite diverse. People have emigrated from all over the world. Similarities with Lebanese and Egyptian food, though.

I've had some pretty lousy guacamole, too.

I am not sure I have so much. It seems hard to get good, properly ripe avocados around here. Poor quality avocados are not going to make a good guac. But maybe folks do not bother if the avocados are low quality.

From what I have read it is the tahini that makes the difference for great Israeli and I assume Lebanese hummus. Both the quality and the massive ratio of tahini to chick peas. Soom brand puts out an excellent product. My recollection is that it will turn rancid if one is not careful though.

I will "bite" on this one. What is a Jojo? (That is, what is a Jojo that one would serve with sour cream. I know about other Jojos, such as "a man who thought he was a loner.") :)

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Soom brand puts out an excellent product.

That's what I use more often than not. There's another brand that's pretty good, but I'd have to look it up. There's yet another I like that I've picked up from one of the Lebanese markets around here, but I just have to see it to know what it is (my Arabic is not what it could be).

I keep tahini in the fridge after opening it. It lasts a long, long time.

Top Bottom