What's new

Chip in JNAT question

Hey Honers -

after a lapping and some honing today, this is what the corner of my JNAT looks like. Does this constitute "normal wear", or is this perhaps an indication that I have an inferior stone?

P1000666.JPG

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
It's not uncommon to find those angular fissures in jnats or other natural stones. You can try and follow it down the side to see how deep it is and possibly lap it out. Some of my best stones have fissures in them so no need to panic.

Has the stone been sealed around the edges with a lacquer? Also can you tell me how you were lapping the stone?

Most fissures like that will lap out easily enough. That almost looks like an impact fissure. Hard to say from that one photo but it doesn't read like a 'natural' flaw to me. doesn't matter, a fissure is a fissure, lap it out and git honin'!

David

There's another spot that looks like its about to let go about an inch to the right. Keep an eye on that. Have you chamfered the edges?

David

IMG_1650.JPG
I don't actually know what that means...
Brad, sharp edges on stones can encourage chipping and flaking if they come in contact with something hard. Rolling (chamfering) the edges of the stone can help with this and also help if you accidentally make a bad stroke.
You basically take some sandpaper or a diamond plate and just knock off the steep edges.

View attachment 796349
Brad, sharp edges on stones can encourage chipping and flaking if they come in contact with something hard. Rolling (chamfering) the edges of the stone can help with this and also help if you accidentally make a bad stroke.
You basically take some sandpaper or a diamond plate and just knock off the steep edges.

Ah... ok. Wow, that edge is really rolled! I have not done that to my JNAT. But I will now - thank you!

Top Bottom