What's new

Chinese 12K vs. Naniwa Super Stone 12K

I'm trying to decide which stone to eventually get. I know the Chinese 12K is $35 less than the Naniwa 12K, but I would like to know which one gives a better edge to the razor.

Thanks!

Never used a C12K, but the Nani 12K SS is quick and does a great job.
I'm way too impatient to do 100 laps on a C12K vs 10-20 on the Superstone.
Time is money.

You've asked the $1million dollar question. It all comes down to your preference.

My take on the C12k is that it is a super slow cuter but does give a nice edge but no polish but it's shave we care about not the polish. For the price of anywhere between $35-$45 it is well worth the price. IMO don't slurry as a finisher. If you have a Wood Craft in your area, they have them less than most places I've seen. Also the stone is super hard so lapping is a pain but a must for this one.

IMO of the Nani 12k is that it gives a better edge, though I don't own a 12k but have had razors from friends it shaves nicely. Now that being said, I think my Nani 10k is much better than the 12K and call me loopy but I like polish it gives along with a great edge better than the 12K too.

If I were you and had the funds I would save on the Nani 12K and buy the Nani 10K with the C12K. It's nice to compare with different stones and not break the bank.

I'd go for the Naniwa.

I had a C12K, and it was abysmally slow, with almost zero feedback.

The Naniwa has a nice velvety hone feel, works quickly, and puts a nice edge on there. For me, that's worth the extra $35

Ah yes, the feedback. I'd forgotten about that aspect. The Naniwas from 1k on up (well, the ones I have used - SS 1, 3, 5, 8, 12) all feel extremely smooth and "soft." It is similar to stropping on a strop that has a nice, smooth draw. And, as with stropping, you can feel the "draw" increase as the blade becomes keen.

I'd go for the Naniwa.

The Naniwa has a nice velvety hone feel, works quickly, and puts a nice edge on there. For me, that's worth the extra $35

Hmm, I will take that into consideration. Is less time spent worth the extra $35? I will have to figure that out. What I'm going to do is buy the Norton 4/8 first, and then I'll see if I need the higher grit stone. It would be nice if I didn't need it, but if I do I will get it.

Holli and Seraphim: Where would you buy the Naniwa 12K?

I'd go for the Naniwa.

There are many places to get them. I like straightrazordesigns.com. They also pricematch, so I assume they prices are the best. Great service, too.

Hmm, I will take that into consideration. Is less time spent worth the extra $35? I will have to figure that out. What I'm going to do is buy the Norton 4/8 first, and then I'll see if I need the higher grit stone. It would be nice if I didn't need it, but if I do I will get it.
Which is better 150 laps , or more, or 10-15 laps? Which gives larger margin for error in the stroke?
Personally if I have to do 150 laps I will zone out or fall asleep.

I wanted the Naniwa 12K for maintenance.
I also wanted a Norton 4K-8K in the future. When I added up the numbers, from two different vendors with shipping on both, it just didn't add up...
So, I bought the 3 stone Naniwa set from SRD... 5K, 8K and 12K for only a very few bucks more..
To think that I'm getting into straights to save money and be self sufficient... Jeeeeesh!

Seems like a slippery slope to me... and I'm building up steam! :scared:

I also wanted a Norton 4K-8K in the future. When I added up the numbers, from two different vendors with shipping on both, it just didn't add up...
So, I bought the 3 stone Naniwa set from SRD... 5K, 8K and 12K for only a very few bucks more..
To think that I'm getting into straights to save money and be self sufficient... Jeeeeesh!

You didn't get the 1K and 3K???? *slaps forehead*

Saving money?? Well, now you have to save money... to buy more razors, better stones, newer/better strops, etc.

Top Bottom