What's new

Chin to ear grip/technique

Hi All,

The way my hair grows, I need to shave from my double chin to my ear to go across the grain. Given that I have a double chin, the skin is much looser/softer, making it especially hard to get the skin taut enough for a close shave.

But regardless of the tension, I just can't figure out how to hold the razor to shave that. The only thing I can think of is to hold my arm curled over my my head than point my forearm down (if that makes any sense), using my right hand on my left chin/cheek and vice vera.

Is there a better way to do this without contorting myself?

Thanks

I do this every morning. Right side with right hand, blade open 270 degrees toe of razor points to the sky. Left side with left hand, same deal. Inflate your cheeks for the first half then stretch for the rest.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I do this every morning. Right side with right hand, blade open 270 degrees toe of razor points to the sky. Left side with left hand, same deal. Inflate your cheeks for the first half then stretch for the rest.
Yeah, that non-dominant hand will be the death of me, but it does get KINDA easier...

Yeah, that non-dominant hand will be the death of me, but it does get KINDA easier...
It’s not easy to use the non-dominant hand in the beginning but in the long run it pays dividends. I don’t even notice which hand I’m using now. The off hand opens up a lot of options. I would really struggle to shave one handed. In my eyes a straight razor is a two handed instrument much like a keyboard, bike or guitar.

Tell me more please. I'm trying that right now with an empty shavette. Right hand, right side. Scales are essentially at 9 O clock, and blade is 12 O clock, with the edge pointing to the right. I can use that to shave the jawline (or just above), and the cheek going towards the side burns. but how the hell do you use that grip to shave to the right under the jaw line?

My second pass is usually a combination of directions, as my daily shave is two-pass with clean up. Going across the grain on my right side cheek, I shave with my left hand. First I do a short stroke just above my jawline under my ear, then I stretch the skin from the just shaved area and continue across from my right to my left taking short strokes and stretching where I had just shaved. I use alum to assure my fingers grip. Having a pudgy, sagging, aging face, I use short strokes and stretch in the direction opposite to the coming stroke. I reverse the process and use my right hand to hold the razor when going from my left to my right ATG on the left part of my face. I hadn't really thought much about it, but my elbows are never pointed up when I shave, nor am I ever putting an arm up over my head. My best shaves result when every movement is relaxed, controlled, and comfortable.

Hope this helps and is not too confusing. Good luck @icemanjs4!

I have a similar issue, although it is ear-to chin on my right side and chin to ear on the left (my whiskers generally grow in a left to right bias across my face). It's challenging to get the razor at the proper angle. I do it with the toe pointing upward, scales adjusted as needed. Also I just use my dominant hand for all. Scything strokes help-- so starting a little more south to north and rotating through right to left through the stroke. Also a 4/8 blade really shines in this regard. I also have a dense patch about the size of my thumb pad just under my chin on the left side with a definite left-to-right bias that's pretty challenging to get without irritation or potential nicks.

It may be sacrilege, but this is something I sometimes grab a twin blade cartridge for to touch up after a couple passes. 10 seconds and a couple quick swipes right to left across the trouble spots under the jawline and I'm out the door. Trying to get these spots BBS isn't something I can easily do with anything larger than a 5/8 and generally leads to frustration. But any cheap pivoting head cartridge can hit it easily and get it pretty close after you've reduced the stubble with a couple of other passes.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Hi All,

The way my hair grows, I need to shave from my double chin to my ear to go across the grain. Given that I have a double chin, the skin is much looser/softer, making it especially hard to get the skin taut enough for a close shave.

But regardless of the tension, I just can't figure out how to hold the razor to shave that. The only thing I can think of is to hold my arm curled over my my head than point my forearm down (if that makes any sense), using my right hand on my left chin/cheek and vice vera.

Is there a better way to do this without contorting myself?

Thanks
That is exactly the stretch motion I use. Works well. You could even shave your armpits at the same time if you so choose.

Top Bottom