What's new

Chin and Under chin

Hello everyone,

Some time ago I posted about having issues with stubble remaining after a shave. I was recommended the 3 shave approach: with, across and against the grain. That works on my neck, sideburns, cheeks, mustache, and hair under my lips.

However, despite using the 3 shave approach I have difficulty getting a smooth shave on my chin, jaw, and area between my chin and neck. I do it multiple times and I still have stubble there.

I always have to go over that area multiple times. Just make sure you dab extra lather each time and whenever you pass over the area be especially careful not to add any more pressure than the weight of the razor considering extra passes will be needed and you want to limit any irritation.

I put a dab of rubbing alcohol on stubble to make it stand up, then buff it off carefully. Any A/S with alcohol will also work well.

My chin area has always been an issue for me, even when I used cartridges. I do a two pass shave over all, but additional WTG, XTG and ATG passes on my chin as needed, with shaving cream reapplied for each additional pass. I make sure to go lightly to reduce the likelihood of any razor burn.

Also, some razors leave more behind than others. I tend to have more of an issue with my mild razors.

I guess I'm the lucky one, as I have no trouble at all.
First pass, with the grain, starting right under my lower lip, and moving slowly down to my Adam's Apple,
simply following my chin's natural contours and adjusting my razor's angle accordingly.
Second pass, across the grain, east to west (and west to east) from the angle of jaw to midpoint of chin.
Third pass, up against the grain, from mid-neck to point of chin (with another light touch-up if needed.)
All three passes with a fresh application of rich creamy lather, no pressure, and smooth sailing.

Last edited:
Re necks, I've worked around to the idea that it is entirely OK to use two razors.

My face likes the Rockwell 6C, with R4 turning out to be the Goldilocks plate. Old-man stubble, and thick face skin.

I can get away with using that on the chin, and about an inch under-chin.

Then I could change plates (to R2, maybe, but with wet soapy hands, I don't think so), but I'd rather pick up the often under-rated plastic Wilkinson, loaded with something a bit sharper.

In Rockwell terms, it is sub-R2, but the plastic makes it an ideal thing for your lower neck, where the skin (but also the stubble) is thinner.

Your neck isn't the same terrain as your face, so why would the same mower be ideal?

Those shrouded blade tabs are also good if you do some scraping around under your ears.

I also like the Wilkinson plastic razor for my first successful attempts at ATG, mostly the under-chin zone.

I had problem with the jaw line .

What helped me was opening my mouth wide and turning my head to the side, put your finger on your jaw line and do the face stretching I've suggested your finger will be pulled up slightly onto the flatter part of your face and making it easier to shave.

However, despite using the 3 shave approach I have difficulty getting a smooth shave on my chin, jaw, and area between my chin and neck. I do it multiple times and I still have stubble there.
Does it still feel like there's stubble half an hour after it's done and dried?
That area is where I typically get "ghost stubble", and I have learned to force myself to ignore it towards the end of my third and final pass, which is ATG touch-ups only.
It feels rough when it's still wet, but afterwards it feels perfectly smooth like the rest of my face.

That area is where I typically get "ghost stubble", and I have learned to force myself to ignore it towards the end of my third and final pass, which is ATG touch-ups only.
It feels rough when it's still wet, but afterwards it feels perfectly smooth like the rest of my face.
I second this ^, it is hard to judge a shave right after you are done, give you face a few minutes to cool down well after your aftershave routine, I find my skin puffed a bit right when I am done, but 20/30 min later is when I can truly feel how well/bad it went.

I second this ^, it is hard to judge a shave right after you are done, give you face a few minutes to cool down well after your aftershave routine, I find my skin puffed a bit right when I am done, but 20/30 min later is when I can truly feel how well/bad it went.
Yeah, for a long time I was getting post-shave irritation just because I was chasing the ghost stubble with far too many passes over small areas. It's hard to ignore in the heat of the moment.

I have trouble with my chin as well. When I try mapping my beard, I find that the hair on my chin tends to point straight out with no discernable grain direction. Thus, any pass is essentially across the grain. That means multiple passes from different directions are needed to achieve BBS.

It took me 11 years to figure out an “S-hook” that gets the right side of my chin done. It’s sort of like a j hook technique, but a slightly different shape.

Great point! It took me a while before I woke up to that fact.

Don’t chase the ghost!

I have mapped my beard.
It's not ghost stubble as after cleaning up, showering, and feeling my face and neck - my face is smooth, my bottom chin/under the chin, and the area that follows is not smooth.

I get that too, I deal with by using a mild and efficient razor, and buffing atg. I have been using the paa ascension tightened all the way with a Gillette 7oclock black. I don’t get any irritation and the shave is 95% bbs, and I get a mild sting from the Aqua Velva. It works for me.

Top Bottom