What's new

Child-Proof(mostly) case?

Howdy Gents,

My wife and I are expecting our first baby! Yippe-doos and huzzahs all around! With this new paradigm I have been thinking of ways I can keep thirty+ straights accessible, but safely stored away from little hands.

Searching around the forums I have seen more than a few custom jobs and some recommendations for fountain pen cases, but I thought I'd cast my net a little wider and see what ideas people might have. What are your thoughts? Thanks!

Locking jewelry box repurposed

proxy.php

Or if you are not handy, a locking gun or document safe

proxy.php

I use one of these but I don't think they make one for 30 razors.

There is a place to put a small luggage lock. Not top security but enough for a while

proxy.php

proxy.php

I became an Uncle at nine years of age. By the time I was shaving with a straight those children, always around at my mother's house (grandmums), I realized the same issue.

My practice then was to store the razor (I had only one at the time) high on a shelf out of sight in my wardrobe closet in my bedroom. It worked a treat as no one knew was it was even there.

Fast forward to now. I am a father of five children, three girls and two boys. I kept the practice until the boys arrived. The girls were never interested beyond "Daddy is removing the scruffies". The boys want to shave like Daddy and are like monkeys that will look for Daddy's razor until they find it.

Now I store my blades in my gunbox with a biometric access that only works to open with my finger. And yes, they try but never get it open.

Although I teach my sons never to touch Daddy's razor they still are sneaky and try to get at it.

Safe and away is the best practice at my house until they are mature enough to demonstrate they can be trusted. I'll know that when I can see they won't attempt to acquire a decoy blunted blade from a soap box high on my bedroom shelf boobytrapped with a tell.

Chris

First of all, congrats on the little one!!

I use a custom case, but it looks like this. Up out of reach and depending on the latch you put on, it's lockable as well.

DSC_0444.JPG

This is not bullet-proof, but it will hold you for a while ...

I use the 48 pencil case for shavettes, but they make them up to either 120 or 240 IIRC. My shavettes include some of the bigger one too, so I think the case would work for most straights.

proxy.php

Wow there are some good ideas - thanks everyone! Glad to see there are a plethora of options if one thinks a bit outside the box!

This is not bullet-proof, but it will hold you for a while ...

I use the 48 pencil case for shavettes, but they make them up to either 120 or 240 IIRC. My shavettes include some of the bigger one too, so I think the case would work for most straights.

That's veeery interesting.... How have you found your razors to fit the loops? The 120 looks like it could be a really great one without breaking the bank. :)

That's veeery interesting.... How have you found your razors to fit the loops? The 120 looks like it could be a really great one without breaking the bank. :)

The loops are tight enough to be secure, but not troublesome if you slip the tail through first. The wood handle Artist Club DX, wood handle SS, and Antiga Barbearia de Bairro are bigger than most shavettes, and they all fit through the loops fine. One important thing I should have mentioned in the first post: I get at most 1/4 as many shavettes in the case as the rated number of pencils. In particular, I get six shavettes in the size 24 box, the aforementioned three plus two Vantas (one full, one half blade), and a Focus Slim Al. They fit three on one side and three on the other. I keep a folded microfiber cloth between them, mainly to prevent razors on opposite sides from scratching each other, but also to absorb any moisture I missed. I don't own enough shavettes to be sure how well the bigger cases would scale, but if you buy a case from Amazon Prime, you should be able to return it.

One last thought. ... A big reason I got the pencil cases is because the smaller sizes (24 and 48) fit handily in a small sink drawer, where they are out of sight of the one and four year old grand kids we often watch - still not bullet proof, but out of sight, out of mind.

-- Good luck.

In order to take my 1911 from Canada to Front Sight in Nevada, I had to transport it in my luggage in a Canadian airline approved container (along with a ridiculous amount of papers/permits). The container I used is purpose built of thick plate steel with a hardened hinge and lock. You couldn't get into it with an axe. Cost about $40. Probably overkill...

Last edited:
First of all, congrats on the little one!!

I use a custom case, but it looks like this. Up out of reach and depending on the latch you put on, it's lockable as well.

View attachment 882210
sfeile did you make that yourself? I think that’s perfect and I would love to do something like that in the future, but not so sure the wife would be thrilled haha!

M

member 119848

Congratulations!
I have a 7-year old daughter and two twins (boys) that are 2,5 years old.
My daily shaving gear lies in the bathroom cabinet, which is out of reach from the kids. My 7 year old could eventually reach the brushes if she tries, but not the blades.
The boys are too small to reach the cupboard, but some day (sooner than I may think), they will. And I don´t trust them. There´s something genetic about gender, that draws us (boys and men) towards the ˋcool´ stuff, like blades, fire, tools, etc.
Danger should be locked up. Period. I haven´t come up with a better idea.
If your child is a girl, still be safe, but you may take a more relax approach to it. :001_smile

sfeile did you make that yourself? I think that’s perfect and I would love to do something like that in the future, but not so sure the wife would be thrilled haha!
Sorry for not replying, I completely missed this.
I did not make it, I designed/spaced/decided/whatever you want to call it, and my father-in-law made it for me. He used cherry and some stain that was left over from my dad's shop when we made my bathroom cabinets so it matches everything already in there. The wife has a large jewellery case he made right next to it that is almost as big. The front of the door is a mirror and it opens opposite of mine. We did this because my sink mirror is to the right in that picture and her case is to the left. She can open it and use both mirrors to check the back of her hair or whatever she does.

Benefits of your dad being a cabinetmaker and f-i-l doing frames and displays haha.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Sorry for not replying, I completely missed this.
I did not make it, I designed/spaced/decided/whatever you want to call it, and my father-in-law made it for me. He used cherry and some stain that was left over from my dad's shop when we made my bathroom cabinets so it matches everything already in there. The wife has a large jewellery case he made right next to it that is almost as big. The front of the door is a mirror and it opens opposite of mine. We did this because my sink mirror is to the right in that picture and her case is to the left. She can open it and use both mirrors to check the back of her hair or whatever she does.

Benefits of your dad being a cabinetmaker and f-i-l doing frames and displays haha.
Beautiful. You are blessed by your family, sir.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I'd secure them the same way that I secured my kitchen cutlery which are far more dangerous than a straight ...

Cheers, Steve

1. purchase cheap pencil case/cigar box/humidor
2. purchase pluck foam
3. place on shelf taller than said children
4. ???
5. profit

Top Bottom