What's new

Chicory-Coffee Blend with Milk?

Wanting a change, I recently picked up a chicory-coffee blend. I'm thinking to use it in the morning. Normally, I add a bit of heated milk to my morning coffee. I'm wondering, do folks add milk to their chicory-coffee or drink it straight?

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have never tried it before. Where I work they have a liquid Chickory coffee thing that I might have to look at closely. I wouldn’t even know how to make it.

Camp Coffee, here in the UK, is full of chickory

Disgusting stuff. It was around a lot when I was a kid, I think because people got a taste for it during the war when coffee was unobtainable. People must still buy it though or shops wouldn't stock it. I find the 'Empire Building' images associated with it mildly amusing.

1598264851255.png

Ad Astra

The Instigator
That is what you get at Café du Monde and just about every Vietnamese restaurant on Earth (often with Café de Monde brand coffee)

Was going to say. Along with a face full of powdered sugar from the begneits ...

AA

Yes.

If I am drinking without sweetener, I drink it black.
With sweetener, I'll add milk or creamer.

Was going to say. Along with a face full of powdered sugar from the begneits ...

AA

I acquired a taste of Community Coffee's version from my Louisiana relatives. It does go well with beignets!

I drink Community Club coffee with chicory black with sweetener. Most of the time I drink decaf, so it’s just the community club without the chicory, black and sweetener.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I grew up with Community coffee and love the stuff. Heck, I even took some to college with me because I was leaving Southeast Texas for Tennessee and figured I couldn't get it up there.

When it comes to chicory coffee in the Houston area, though, just about every place goes with Café du Monde. It seems that the large Vietnamese population prefers it. I enjoy both, but I've not done a side-by-side of the two. I ought to pick them both up and give it a whirl, just for grins.

Apparently I have died and gone to Heaven. Cafe du Mond sells their chicory coffee in decaf K pods. I’m the only one that likes it in my house, so I had to get a k cup machine.

Thank you @TexLaw I wouldn’t have thought of this without your help. My foggy old brain remembered Community Club at Cafe du Mond.

7B634FDF-34A6-4108-87BA-538469CEBAD8.png

Ad Astra

The Instigator
First place we hit in NOLA. Of course it's uber-touristy, but.

Hard to tell what the coffee actually tastes like though, with all the doughnut sugar ...

AA

Thanks for the replies. My take from them is that it is OK to add milk if one wants. I ordered from Coffee AM: 8 oz. coffee-chicory blend and 8 oz ditto of the decaffeinated version, both ground for a French press. I plan to blend them as I do with my regular coffee and espresso. Since the chicory is not caffeinated, I'm thinking it well be even less caffeinated than my other blends.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Hard to tell what the coffee actually tastes like though, with all the doughnut sugar ...

I actually ask for my beignets without the powdered sugar (and my café sans lait). They look at me funny when I do that, but I've grown used to that.

Coming from a New Orleanian, I drink my chicory coffee black but there's no "rule" about it. As has been said, it is the brand one expects to get when drinking a cafe au lait in New Orleans. I happen to love the peppery flavor of chicory so I don't want to dilute it for my everyday brew. When I go to Cafe du Monde (usually in the wee hours of the morning on the way home from some crazy funky music) I'll drink an au lait.
I like to buy the coffee (French roast) and chicory separately and blend it myself. You can get it through Community Coffee.

Top Bottom