What's new

Chicken wings, smoked

I have been doing this and it seems to work out good.
Usually have burger and wings, (two of us) or wings with anything else we fancy.

I have been getting flash frozen chicken wings, no tips , 5 lb bag. So when I smoke a rack or two of ribs I marinate half the 5 lb bag of wings, thawed, sometimes marinated or sometimes with a dry rub.
SO after an hour on the smoker I turn them for another hour, most of the fat s rendered and I pull them and once cooled zip lock bag and freeze, minus what I want to use.(pack loose and lay flat so they dont lump up)
If same day I i slide the camp chef plate over and crisp over the open fire.
If with burgers , I take a half dozen out , tinfoil, light spray of pam, and put them on the top shelf of the bbg grill while burgers are being done,then at the end once sizzling hot I put them on the grill for a few minutes to crisp the skin.
They come out good, and I can keep a bag in the freezer frozen and cooked until needed.
Quick wings and I can buy the 5 lb bag from a store down here very low cost.

This is a good strategy. What kind of sauce? Are they Smokey and spicy too? I worked at a brewpup that smoked them, then fried them and used a sauce similar to Frank's.
Usually I grill wings. Render the fat off like you do, then set them aside. Then grill them more later. I think that's the secret. (Twice grilling). +Rep

To start I just smoke them, and freeze what im not using, When i reheat, i put in tinfoil on top rack of bbq (little pam so not to stick) while burgers are being done, I usually sprinkle some sonnys dry rub mix on them. But can use any sauce, if you want extra crispy, take then out of the tin foil and place on the lower bbq rack for a couple minutes.
Im lucky i can buy a 5 lb bag of wings, cut up, no tips, flash frozen for cheap, then i just smoke em and freeze them, renders out a lot of fat so on reheat it is quick.

wing has a top , top section is the tip of the wing, it is all skin and bones, so when i buy 5 lbs , im getting just the good sections and no tips.

Top Bottom