What's new

Chicken foot stew

I managed to scratch my forearm putting one of the claws in the pot. Clubman Jumbo came to the rescue yet again. The stew smells a little funky but hopefully it tastes okay.
20190107_031734.jpg

I've seen these in the butcher shop, but haven't used them. Please let us know how it came out.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Thanks guys.
Yes we are doing it for health reasons. Wife says it's going to be packed with collagen which will keep her looking fit and toned. I tried a spoon of it and must say it's kinda greasy tasting. Maybe will add lime juice and a bit more salt..? Unless you have any suggestions

We added a few horse hooves too because we had a few. But mostly chicken and beef bones.

Citrus juice, and/or apple cider vinegar might help.

I use five or so feet to a 6 or 8 gt cooker/pot when I do chicken soup. My favorite is a variation I do on Jordan Rubin’s recipe, and maybe combining it with another authors recipe for a gut healing soup. See if anything in here might seem to make it better for you....maybe the parsley.
Chicken soup:
1 Chicken
Four or five chicken feet
1 T apple cider vinegar
3-4 quarts filtered water
Onion
8 carrots
2-4 zucchini
4 T oil (coconut/sunflower)
1/2 c. Frozen peas,
1 lb. green beans
4" grated ginger
1/4-1/2 t hot pepper (<1/8 t datil)
1 bunch parsley (added at end of cooking)
3-5 cloves garlic
2-4 T Celtic sea or Himalayan pink salt
4 med potatoes
(Keep the lid cracked open to help keep the greens greener. Spoon off the foam (ruination of protein) as it cooks)

I think the hooves made it kind of sticky. Flavor wise... Not our best soup. We will stick to Pazole for brothy soups If I have my say . Disgusting.

Knight - Next time I will show the wife this recipe and with her blessings I will do it., Lol. Thank you for this recipe.

you are welcome

I thought you were kidding about the hooves. :a24:
Sadly no..and to make matters worse we lived in Kentucky where this is a punishable offense to the highest extent. Hey though these horses were dead so I don't see a problem you know??

If the missus is making chicken stock she will put a couple of feet in - you can get them in all the supermarkets here - and it makes the resulting soup thicker and gelatinous. I daresay the collagen helps as well.

Living in SE Asia a while now, still not actually tried eating one though. That's a bridge too far!

This turned out fantastic! And by fantastic I mean...horrid. And the house stinks now, too. So much for bone broth..

Last couple chicken stocks we've made have included chicken feet, can't say whether they made any difference, stocks always been excellent.
dave

I think we tried to go way too simple by only using bones and hooves. Should have added more ingredients like what Scary Knight was mentioning... And Davent, I already know your broth would probably make folks cry with delight. "Is this what they serve in Heaven?"

I cook my soup for hours and hours so wind up eating feet parts almost completely. I may throw out a nail if I find it. as they are well broken down. I mostly just remove the larger bones of the bird, but leave and eat some of them too for the minerals.
This turned out fantastic! And by fantastic I mean...horrid. And the house stinks now, too. So much for bone broth..

I’m thinking it was the hooves. They’d be keratin right, like hair and nails? Collagen is from the cartiledge in the knuckles/joints of the feet and maybe the pads and marrow. I imagine the soup tasted like burnt hair with the hooves in it, though I’ve never eaten burnt hair to know. Surely it wasn’t the chicken feet that ruined it. Because......tastes like chicken.

I cook my soup for hours and hours so wind up eating feet parts almost completely. I may throw out a nail if I find it. as they are well broken down. I mostly just remove the larger bones of the bird, but leave and eat some of them too for the minerals.

I’m thinking it was the hooves. They’d be keratin right, like hair and nails? Collagen is from the cartiledge in the knuckles/joints of the feet and maybe the pads and marrow. I imagine the soup tasted like burnt hair with the hooves in it, though I’ve never eaten burnt hair to know. Surely it wasn’t the chicken feet that ruined it. Because......tastes like chicken.

Yes, it was probably the hooves. I honestly think it was also the fact that we tried combining three different animals in one stew. Not sure if horses would count , but if so, then FOUR.

Anyway.. Next time Pazole. Simple, tasteful, citrus and salty broth. And most importantly NO horse hooves! :)

Top Bottom