What's new

Chick Blades, is there a secret to making them last so long?

So I've shaved with an injector for about a month. What I've found out is that the blades I use, the Chick blades, do last, to some extent, as long as I don't go BBS. Well, when I do, the blades pull and tug as the hair gets closer to the skin. I eventually realized that doing the stropping trick restores them to how smooth they were on the first shave. Its not the same smoothness, but close enough.

Does anyone else have to do this? Is this common for their blade edge to get so out of alignment that they need honing during and after the first shave?

Brother warman,

Not in my experience. No secret to make them last. They just are outstanding blades. I shave daily and I have tough "old man" whiskers. The Chick blades last me 14 days, even up to 21 days, doing a conventional 3 pass shave.

You might be using the wrong handle angle. Try raising the handle. The face of the razor's head should be parallel with and touching your face. You want to cut the whiskers, not scrape the whiskers!

If you scrape the whiskers with the handle angle too low that could wear the blade prematurely.

Brother warman,

Not in my experience. No secret to make them last. They just are outstanding blades. I shave daily and I have tough "old man" whiskers. The Chick blades last me 14 days, even up to 21 days, doing a conventional 3 pass shave.

You might be using the wrong handle angle. Try raising the handle. The face of the razor's head should be parallel with and touching your face. You want to cut the whiskers, not scrape the whiskers!

If you scrape the whiskers with the handle angle too low that could wear the blade prematurely.

Hmm...now that you mention it, I do not usually place the head exactly parallel flat to my face. The razor when I use it is more tilted at an angle where the blade cap is not touching my face. That makes it go out sooner? You'll have to forgive me if that sounds a bit counter intuitive for some odd reason to put the razor where the cap touches my face. Is the blade where both the bar and the guard touch my face at a 30 degree angle or better for cutting?

Last edited:
Brother warman,

I agree. Injector razors work best when the blade is as close to parallel to the skin as possible. I usually get 25 to 30 shaves per blade.

In my experience, no more than 5 tp 10 degrees works best with SE razors.

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I agree. Injector razors work best when the blade is as close to parallel to the skin as possible. I usually get 25 to 30 shaves per blade.

In my experience, no more than 5 tp 10 degrees works best with SE razors.
Thanks brother. I will try this!

Each shave adversely effects the edge. Stropping can reset the edge, but not sure how easy that would be to perform. Different body chemistries can effect how metal reacts.

I cannot remember which Schick you got. Can the angle be altered mechanically type E or G, or not as with later versions?

Each shave adversely effects the edge. Stropping can reset the edge, but not sure how easy that would be to perform. Different body chemistries can effect how metal reacts.

I cannot remember which Schick you got. Can the angle be altered mechanically type E or G, or not as with later versions?
Type I, I think the I2 with its Hydromagic lever.

Last edited:
Top Bottom