What's new

Cherry burl brush project

i'll let you guys know how it goes after i do it.

As nice as that first handle was, i'd rather not have to smell that varnish every time i shave. Which has been every other day lately.

It is getting close now. For the final coat of finish I use the same Spar Urethane but in the aerosol can. I put the piece back on the lathe turning at a moderate speed and lightly sprayed the handle. Then let the finish dry for 15 minute or so while turning at a low speed. Seems to have turned out nicely, without my normal ham handed finger prints.
$102_1001.jpg
Just waiting on knots now.

beautiful man, that last pic is just perfect.

I bought some of that helmsman spar varnish at HD on sunday. i hope i can start sealing the brush sometime this week.

how tall is that handle you're making?

Thank you. The handle dimensions are 1 3/4" tall and 1 1/2" in diameter.
Congrats on your stewardships gentlemen.

That is an exceptional handle, Dave. You have done an outstanding job! That anticipation when the knots are oscar mike....just absolutely horrible.

You know we are going to have to see some duck calls now!:thumbup1:

Here are my personal calls. The finish doesn't look that great anymore, but they have been blowed hard and put away wet.
$102_1009.jpg
Here is one of a set of two. The other was the "negative" image of this one. They went up for auction at a DU banquet. Birdseye maple, blood wood and walnut.
$DU duck call for 2006.jpg
A couple of other projects you may enjoy.
$102_1008.jpg$102_0996.jpg

Here are my personal calls. The finish doesn't look that great anymore, but they have been blowed hard and put away wet.

Here is one of a set of two. The other was the "negative" image of this one. They went up for auction at a DU banquet. Birdseye maple, blood wood and walnut.

A couple of other projects you may enjoy.

Fantastic work!

I ran our local DU banquet for 13 years until I figured out I had to find my own replacement! Hahaha.. BTW whats your first name?

Great stuff....

Maple is abundant in Michigan and it is often the correct wood for the job. It is sort of like cookies. Chocolate chip, those are my favorite. Oatmeal raisin, yea those are my favorite too. Walnut, like the grips on the Blackhawk, is easy to work with and can be stunning, but the dust plays havoc on my allergies. Cherry is beautiful and a pleasure to work with, but is not a strong as maple for things like the handle of the landing net. So I choose a wood for a project first by what I need it to do, then by the color I want (I generally don't use stains) and then by what I have available.
There I go being pedantic again, apologies.
When they are being nice, my friends call me Dave. I would be honored to count y'all among them.

Maple is abundant in Michigan and it is often the correct wood for the job. It is sort of like cookies. Chocolate chip, those are my favorite. Oatmeal raisin, yea those are my favorite too. Walnut, like the grips on the Blackhawk, is easy to work with and can be stunning, but the dust plays havoc on my allergies. Cherry is beautiful and a pleasure to work with, but is not a strong as maple for things like the handle of the landing net. So I choose a wood for a project first by what I need it to do, then by the color I want (I generally don't use stains) and then by what I have available.
There I go being pedantic again, apologies.
When they are being nice, my friends call me Dave. I would be honored to count y'all among them.

Aye, the words from a fine craftsman indeed. I am going to see if I can "acquire" some Northwestern hardwoods soon, specifically, hardwoods indigenous to the state of Washington...I don't think there are many.

Beautiful work. Don't be surprised if you get a flood of messages with people trying to commission you to make a new brush handle. They look incredible!

Still waiting on knots. There seems to be a rift in the space-time continuum somewhere between Phoenix, Ariz. and Grand Rapids, Mich.

Top Bottom